#1 8-23-2017 9:53 PM

Travelnik
Couch Potato

Puerto Rico in october

I will be in PR early October for 5 days. Any tips to maximize my trip would be appreciated. Do I need to buy  tour tickets before I arrive ? how is the average weather ?, Suggest cuisines, nightlife and local spots. Thanks

#2 8-24-2017 5:57 PM

grandmar
RosalieAnn
Leonardtown, Maryland
Award: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

Re: Puerto Rico in october

The easiest part of the question to answer is - Weather.  Puerto Rico is in the tropics.  The temperatures will be between 22 to 31 degrees Celsius, with high humidity and the water will be warm (about 29 deg Celsius).  They average 6+ inches of rain in October.  The only difference will be if there is a hurricane and October is still part of the hurricane season.

I don't think you need to book tours in advance - the one I would probably do would be out to El Yunque.  There is a free trolley in Old San Juan which takes you around to the various landmarks (there isn't a narrative - it is just transportation), and you can get a ferry out to the Bacardi factory.

I can't help you much on the nightlife.   

Food: Mofongo - deep-fried green plantains mashed together with sautéed onion, garlic, olive oil and other ingredients such pork or seafood

Arroz con gandules - one of the signature rice dishes

Also pork shoulder, deep fried fritters, their version of beef stew, twice fried green plantain slides, and Empanadillas (a fried meat pie).

#3 8-26-2017 5:38 AM

katzgar
Award: Vox Populi II
Wanderer

why do tours, rent a car and go there

#4 8-26-2017 6:48 AM

grandmar
RosalieAnn
Leonardtown, Maryland
Award: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

If you are in San Juan, a car is a hazard rather than a help

#5 8-26-2017 4:07 PM

osgoodst
steve
Chicago, Illinois
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

When you in san juan no point to having a car.  Depending on where your hotel is at you'll need to bus or taxi into Old San Juan.  Taxis are cheap but busses are super cheap, I've paid a quarter before. 

You won't need to book most tours unless you are doing something like visiting the Bioluminescent bay in Vieques.  If you are in puerto rico for 5 days there are more than enough time to explore the island.  Vieques in a dingy little island off the east coast and famous for its kayaking.  The other spot I would hit is Rincon on the east side, you'll have enough time for one.  I had my wedding in Rincon so I'm a big fan, its a beach bum town with very good food, and you might be there for whale season. 

Nightlife in San Jaun:  The hotel area has a bunch of clubs geared towards american tourists, same with the water front in old san juan.  The rest does have some real hole in the wall gems.  You won't get robbed.  I found one that was 4 stories with 4 different themes but I can't remember the name.  Let me know if there is anything specific you want to know about.

#6 8-27-2017 8:07 PM

Travelnik
Couch Potato

osgoodst wrote:

When you in san juan no point to having a car.  Depending on where your hotel is at you'll need to bus or taxi into Old San Juan.  Taxis are cheap but busses are super cheap, I've paid a quarter before. 

You won't need to book most tours unless you are doing something like visiting the Bioluminescent bay in Vieques.  If you are in puerto rico for 5 days there are more than enough time to explore the island.  Vieques in a dingy little island off the east coast and famous for its kayaking.  The other spot I would hit is Rincon on the east side, you'll have enough time for one.  I had my wedding in Rincon so I'm a big fan, its a beach bum town with very good food, and you might be there for whale season. 

Nightlife in San Jaun:  The hotel area has a bunch of clubs geared towards american tourists, same with the water front in old san juan.  The rest does have some real hole in the wall gems.  You won't get robbed.  I found one that was 4 stories with 4 different themes but I can't remember the name.  Let me know if there is anything specific you want to know about.

Thank You

#7 9-15-2017 4:46 AM

katzgar
Wanderer

it goes without comment that public transport is better in the city.  traveling in the countryside is so much better and efficient in a car.

#8 9-15-2017 7:32 AM

grandmar
RosalieAnn
Leonardtown, Maryland
Wanderer

katzgar wrote:

it goes without comment that public transport is better in the city.  traveling in the countryside is so much better and efficient in a car.

Not necessarily.  The roads are not well marked and the traffic is bad at all times.  Even though they drive on the right, it can be very stressful to drive on your own, especially if you are by yourself with no one to check the map or interpret the GPS.

If you want to go someplace that is off the beaten track, then yes, rent a car.  If you are going to the normal tourist destinations - probably better to take a tour.

In any case, after Hurricane Irma, even tours outside San Juan may be a problem and driving one-self even more of a problem than before.

#9 9-23-2017 5:14 AM

katzgar
Wanderer

highly unlikely many tourists will be going to PR this Oct but you would be surprised hoe many people can navigate poorly marked roads, specially with GPS.

#10 9-23-2017 5:34 AM

grandmar
RosalieAnn
Leonardtown, Maryland
Wanderer

GPS is not a cure-all.  I have been using a GPS on our boat since 1998 and in the car since 2004 and the GPS sometimes has a strange idea of what route should be used.  Even in England, I had a case where the GPS built into the car said to go one way and my own GPS said to go another way.  A GPS helps, but if the roads are not mapped, then the GPS doesn't know about them.

#11 9-23-2017 11:14 PM

ulis
Uli
Vienna, Austria
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

I wonder if Puerto Rico will have recovered from the hurricane in early October ?

#12 9-24-2017 5:38 AM

grandmar
RosalieAnn
Leonardtown, Maryland
Wanderer

I doubt it

#13 9-24-2017 7:24 AM

es1418
Eric
Bowie, Maryland
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi I
Tourist

Travelnik, if you can cancel your plans I suggest you do so. Puerto Rico is going to be a mess for quite some time, and hurricane season isn't yet over. The island could get struck again before or during your trip.
If you can't cancel, then reconfirm your lodgings are still available, and make alternative plans if necessary. I'd hate for you to arrive only to discover your hotel has been closed due to damage.

#14 9-24-2017 9:19 AM

grandmar
RosalieAnn
Leonardtown, Maryland
Wanderer

There is no electricity and very little communication throughout the island.  Hotels that had back-up generators have run out of gas. There's no safe water.  So even if Travelnik wants to check on his accommodations, that will not be possible.

Much of the island is flooded and there are mudslides which have killed 3 people.  I don't know if the airport is open yet, but the only cruise ships that are there are there to support the recovery effort.  Also PR has money problems because I have heard that it is bankrupt. 

Unless you are President Trump, or an aid worker who is self sufficient with all your own food, water and transport, then no one should be traveling to PR now or for the foreseeable future.

Board footer