#1 8-22-2017 11:38 AM

Which ticket for Eugene - Milwaukee with Amtrak

Either $165.00 for a bus and a train or $166 for 2 trains.
I want 1 carry on 3 checked bags at $20.00 for my extra checked bag.

to $804.00 but it's got pictures of beds. (+$20).

They have 4 prices
SAVER    VALUE    FLEXIBLE    PREMIUM
                                                (Premium is the only one I see with pictures of beds).
$166        $236          $442        $804

(all plus $20.00 for my third checked bag).

Looks like this
RUa113Vi8PU
(Train #2)
and that journey is 43hr 22 minutes according to Amtrak.

What ticket do you recommend and how far in advanced of End of April would you leave it to book this train?

Last edited by ilikeitlikethat (8-22-2017 11:45 AM)

#2 8-22-2017 12:55 PM

katzgar
Award: Vox Populi II
Wanderer
Posts: 286

Re: Which ticket for Eugene - Milwaukee with Amtrak

The seats on the train are much roomier and the scenery will be great,  The builder travels some magnificent scenery.  Nothing like sitting in the dining car chewing the fat with a stranger while crossing the rocky mountains.  I recall sitting in a dome car (early Amtrak) at 3am whistling through N. Dakota small towns in the dark with just the foot lights on. A-flippin-mazing.  Amtrak has a program with the Park service for hiking poke around under the empire builder section.  The same section also has a hot deals section, poke around in it.

Last edited by katzgar (8-22-2017 1:05 PM)

#3 8-22-2017 5:27 PM

katzgar wrote:

You know how with aeroplanes, how they label your bags...
Do they do this with Amtrak when I check on or, will I have to have an extra eye on my stuff?

I wonder...
(Looks to YouTube for this).

Last edited by ilikeitlikethat (8-22-2017 5:28 PM)

#4 8-23-2017 3:52 AM

katzgar
Award: Vox Populi II
Wanderer
Posts: 286

ilikeitlikethat wrote:

katzgar wrote:

You know how with aeroplanes, how they label your bags...

I wonder...
(Looks to YouTube for this).

Don't know the answer to that but if you have a valuable guitar with you I wouldn't want to check it I keep it with me

#5 8-23-2017 7:39 PM

Re: Which ticket for Eugene - Milwaukee with Amtrak

I don't get a choice, I'm not checking my laptop and carrying on my guitar, I'm paying $20.00 to check my guitar, they better put something with my bag to match it to my ticket lol.
I wouldn't mind going through America playing on a train, but, I doubt I could. Besides, other people might not want to listen to me jamming on my guitar from Portland to Milwaukee.

I spoke to the airline, they told me I'd have to check the guitars, but told me my laptop bag doesn't count as my carry on and can have a carry on and have my laptop bag because they consider a device.

Last edited by ilikeitlikethat (8-23-2017 7:41 PM)

Board footer