#1 8-19-2017 1:53 PM

m1ke
Michael
London, England
Couch Potato

Solo visit to Okinawa Japan

Hi all,

I'm planning to visit Okinawa when in Japan. I not sure what the public transport is like in Okinawa can anyone offer any information on this?

I've been to Japan before but only to the big City's. I'm from London so am used to getting round on the trains and such. I'm hoping I can do the same on Okinawa?

Thanks,

Michael

#2 8-19-2017 6:14 PM

Lotus28
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

Re: Solo visit to Okinawa Japan

Where in Okinawa are you visiting and what are you planning to do?
Okinawa consists of many islands and areas, and appropriate transportation depends on where you're going. And there won't be trains except monorail in Naha city so you will have to take either ferry, bus, taxi, drive or walk depending on where you are.

#3 8-19-2017 11:52 PM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad

Visiting Okinawa is not the same as visiting Tokyo, Osaka and Kyoto. Public buses in Okinawa is not easy to use as it has no sign in english, I've struggled during my visit in Okinawa. Where in Okinawa are you going?. But the thing is: Naha center is easy to reach by monorail from the airport

#4 8-20-2017 3:05 AM

m1ke
Michael
London, England
Couch Potato

Hi thanks for your responses.
I'm not sure where I can go to due to access with public transport. Ideally I'd like to go to a nice beach, an onsen and plenty of great sea food.

I will be flying to Naha from Tokyo and staying for 3 days. Any other suggestions for my visit are most welcome.

Last edited by m1ke (8-20-2017 3:06 AM)

#5 8-20-2017 4:50 AM

Lotus28
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

Frankly speaking, Okinawa isn't really a good destination to enjoy onsen. If you want to find a destination which satisfies all your criteria, I would rather recommend Niijima island in Tokyo.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niijima,_Tokyo

If you can give it a miss on Onsen, I would recommend Zamami island and Aka island in Kerama islands. You can get there by ferry or speedboats from Tomari Port in Naha. In order to get to port from airport, take monorail to Miebashi station and walk for about 10mins.
There won't be really public transportation on either islands but they're not a huge islands so you can basically walk everywhere.

Last edited by Lotus28 (8-20-2017 5:31 PM)

#6 8-20-2017 11:44 AM

m1ke
Michael
London, England
Couch Potato

Ah thats great thanks! visiting those islands from Naha.

I'm in Japan for a bit so will find an onsen no problem.

#7 8-20-2017 5:43 PM

Lotus28
Explorer

Oh you have some time to spend in Japan, that's good.

Just another note, there're many typhoons passing Okinawa every year, so depending on weather, operation of ferries/boats to/from islands can be easily suspended. I'd recommend you to secure a spare day in Naha before your flight.

Have fun!

#8 8-20-2017 9:56 PM

Lotus28
Explorer

Btw, I almost forgot but there's a onsen in Naha city.
It's located at Naha central hotel. Anyone can visit upon payment of entrance fee (it was not expensive. I recall it was about 5bucks or something).

I have been there and it was not quite impressive one but was still good when my accommodation didn't have enough shower booths.

#9 8-21-2017 3:36 AM

kvom
Kirk
Cumming, Georgia
Award: Photographer IAward: Writer IAward: Vox Populi IV
Explorer

I noticed that Peach airline has a special r/t fare that allows a day trip to Naha from Osaka.

#10 8-21-2017 5:21 AM

Lotus28
Explorer

Yup, but I personally don't recommend a day trip to Naha from Osaka as Naha is just a big city.
If you want to enjoy Okinawa to the max, I would recommend to spend more time to explore outside the city.

Board footer