#1 8-16-2017 2:47 AM

Need suggestion best Places to eat in South Korea

My family will travel to South Korea this December and as a foodie I would love to hear some of best places to eat in South Korea. I heard that their food is really good. I also did some research but may be you guys will have some special recommendations. Or anything I should know before going to South Korea (except be careful of N.K, I don't really care about that).

Last edited by travelgreek (8-16-2017 2:48 AM)

#2 8-16-2017 3:23 AM

siank73
United Kingdom
Posts: 39

Re: Need suggestion best Places to eat in South Korea

i would definitely try the street food if your brave enough

for good restaurants check out, Namu, Toh Lim, La Yeon, L'Espoir du Hibou, Mugunghwa, Mi Piace, Paengni-Hyang, Byeokje Galbi, Sushi Cho, Jungsik, Table 34, Palsun

i'm in seoul next aug, so i will for sure check out some of them

#3 8-16-2017 6:35 AM

Batam, Indonesia
Award: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)

Re: Need suggestion best Places to eat in South Korea

Before I go to far into a reply, could you say what season (some foods are seasonal), what cities/areas are on the agenda, or if cities are not yet chosen, how many days will be in country?

I lived in Korea for the better part of 3 years, so have a few anecdotes for sure.

#4 8-16-2017 6:49 AM

Black_wind
Martina
Bratislava, Slovakia
Posts: 25

Re: Need suggestion best Places to eat in South Korea

Restaurants are literally everywhere (that and cosmetic shops...), so it's hard to be specific because tons and tons are amazing. I actually don't think I had bad experience with food in Korea except once in Gyeongju...and that one time someone forced me go to Italian restaurant in Seongnam...but why would you want to eat "Italian" food in Korea,right?

#5 8-16-2017 7:55 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Nomad
Posts: 828

Re: Need suggestion best Places to eat in South Korea

I love very much the street food in Seoul, they are complete different in Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia or whatsoever. Be careful with some foods in South Korea because it can be very spicy. Korean loves spicy food,
I had once bad experience in Busan it hasn't stated on the menu how spicy it was, tears in my eyes after one spoon. We don't know where in South Korea you are traveling, each places has some specialty

Last edited by shavy (8-19-2017 5:19 AM)

#6 8-16-2017 7:05 PM

DaveSwede wrote:

We will stay 3 days in Seoul and then go to Jeju Island. Do you have any particular good restaurant which I should try?

#7 8-16-2017 7:09 PM

shavy wrote:

I had once bad experience in Busan it hasn't stated on the menu how spicy it was, tears in my eyes after one spoon. We don't know where in South Korea you are traveling, each places has some specialties

Wow sounds like Korean's food is spicy, My husband and I will be fine, we love spicy food but I don't know if my 5 years old son can eat Korean's food then.

#8 8-16-2017 11:36 PM

fransglobal
Francis
Moderator
Globetrotter
Posts: 17593

Re: Need suggestion best Places to eat in South Korea

Great food is available everywhere in Korea. I wouldn't worry. All of it does tend to tend to be spicy but there's plenty of great Japanese food available too. Not spicy.

#9 8-17-2017 4:46 AM

Lotus28
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer
Posts: 1960

Re: Need suggestion best Places to eat in South Korea

There are various kinds of non-spicy food in Korea.
Let me list some of my favorites here.

-gyeran jjim

- Seolleongtang

- dakhanmari (chicken hotpot)
https://www.google.co.jp/amp/s/chinchai … aemun/amp/

- Mul naengmyeong

- Japchae

-bossam

And samgyopsal (BBQ of pork belly rib) is a safe bet. Meat is seasoned with salt and comes with kimchi, chilli paste, garlic, veggies and bean paste. Your kids can easily avoid spicy ingredients if they don't like it.

#10 8-17-2017 1:24 PM

fransglobal
Francis
Moderator
Globetrotter
Posts: 17593

Re: Need suggestion best Places to eat in South Korea

I'm going back to ROK in a few weeks  so thanks to lotus28 for that list.

@ travelgeek, I know you said you're not interested in the DPRK but I do highly recommend a daytrip from Seoul to the DMZ.

You don't say where on Jeju you're going or how long for. Maybe you could indicate your plans and it might be easier to provide tips.

#11 8-17-2017 2:13 PM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Nomad
Posts: 828

Re: Need suggestion best Places to eat in South Korea

Jeju is a small island, there are plenty of restaurants in the city, how further you go how less restaurants you find. We ate most of the time in the guesthouse where we staying.

Seoul, is not easy to recommend one as there are hundreds of restaurants. In Jeju best thing is to rent a car, taxi is quite expensive, buses is not reliable

Last edited by shavy (8-17-2017 2:20 PM)

#12 8-17-2017 8:22 PM

Re: Need suggestion best Places to eat in South Korea

Thanks All for your information, very helpful. @Lotus28 I am definitely would check out the list. Seolleongtang looks delicious for me. Really excited to try all the food over there. Please inform me if you guys remember any particular good restaurants

#13 8-18-2017 4:54 PM

TravelingChris
Chris
Pemberton, New Jersey
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi I
Posts: 111

Re: Need suggestion best Places to eat in South Korea

Ask a local that speaks english where to find a "pumpkin duck" restaurant. You will not be disappointed.

#14 8-19-2017 12:29 AM

emjaaay2
Award: Vox Populi I
Posts: 101

travelgreek wrote:

That's silly... there are absolute no imminent threats in South Korea.

Where will you be in South Korea? Every restaurant in Korea is amazing, you can literally choose any restaurant and not be disappointed. I think it would be more of a dish rather than a restaurant, because a lot of places operate in chain-bases. Each region has a specialty and depending where you go, you can try different cuisines, or a variation of a cuisine.

BUTTT The definite must I would say is the the late night snacks: fried chicken and beer (ChiMac), pig feet (jokbal) and soju, some snack foods like ddukboki (spicy rice cakes) and odeng (fish cakes).

If you're ever in Busan or near the water anywhere, get fish. Fresh fish, absolute best.

#15 8-19-2017 12:51 AM

Re: Need suggestion best Places to eat in South Korea

Yeah when I say we will go to South Korea, everyone in my company was make a fuss about what is happening with the North bla bla but I don't think much of it. We're gonna stay at Seoul. Definitely will try those food you recommend. Thanks

#16 8-19-2017 1:01 AM

Re: Need suggestion best Places to eat in South Korea

I finally dug up my short list for Jeju.  My notes on Seoul are in another computer, so I'll send that when I can.  But when you're on the islands, I would suggest "hwe deup bap" (alternative spellings exists, so just go phonetically) if you see it on a menu.  It is one of my favorites, but it is more common in the islands and closer to coast, less so in Seoul but still possible.

Restaurant:  Myung-Jin JeonBok
Address : 1282, Haemajihaean-ro, Gujwa-eup, Jeju-si, Jeju-do, Republic of Korea
Menu : Abalone Slow food, Stone pot boiled rice and abalone, grilled abalone.

Restaurant: Jejugongib
Address: 703-4, Ieodo-ro, Seogwipo-si, Jeju-do, Republic of Korea
Menu: BBQ black pig, seafood.

Restaurant: chunshime-ne
Address: 16, Changcheonjungang-ro 24beon-gil, Andeok-myeon, Seogwipo-si, Jeju-do, Republic of Korea
Menu: Grilled cutlass fish

Restaurant: gorae bae ggob
Address:
58, Hagwi-ro, Aewol-eup, Jeju-si, Jeju-do, Republic of Korea
Menu: Seafood (HweMul) JJamBBong (can be spicy!) & Ramen.

Restaurant: michin mok-su burger
Address: 664, Aewolhaean-ro, Aewol-eup, Jeju-si, Jeju-do, Republic of Korea
Menu: chef special burger and seafood (hweMul) Jjambbong

Restaurant:  Dok-Gae Mul Hang
478, Hallim-ro, Hallim-eup, Jeju-si, Jeju-do, Republic of Korea
Menu:  OBunChakDakBaeJi,  SeongGaeMiYeokGug
(may need your hotel to call in advance since some times out of stock and/or season)

#17 8-19-2017 1:03 AM

Re: Need suggestion best Places to eat in South Korea

OK, found why I could not post before that...  TB does not support hangul language script.  I had to delete all script and fill in the blanks with Romanticized translations.
Unfortunately you can't benefit of the restaurant names or menu items in hangul..  Sorry for that!!

Last edited by DaveSwede (8-19-2017 1:04 AM)

#18 8-19-2017 10:22 PM

DaveSwede wrote:

Restaurant:  Myung-Jin JeonBok
Address : 1282, Haemajihaean-ro, Gujwa-eup, Jeju-si, Jeju-do, Republic of Korea
Menu : Abalone Slow food, Stone pot boiled rice and abalone, grilled abalone.

Restaurant: Jejugongib
Address: 703-4, Ieodo-ro, Seogwipo-si, Jeju-do, Republic of Korea
Menu: BBQ black pig, seafood.

Restaurant: chunshime-ne
Menu: Grilled cutlass fish

Restaurant: gorae bae ggob
Address:
58, Hagwi-ro, Aewol-eup, Jeju-si, Jeju-do, Republic of Korea
Menu: Seafood (HweMul) JJamBBong (can be spicy!) & Ramen.

Restaurant: michin mok-su burger
Address: 664, Aewolhaean-ro, Aewol-eup, Jeju-si, Jeju-do, Republic of Korea
Menu: chef special burger and seafood (hweMul) Jjambbong

Restaurant:  Dok-Gae Mul Hang
478, Hallim-ro, Hallim-eup, Jeju-si, Jeju-do, Republic of Korea
Menu:  OBunChakDakBaeJi,  SeongGaeMiYeokGug

Awesome thank you so much! I am a big fan of seafood, definitely will try your list and  I can't wait for the trip, so tired of cooking at home big_smile.

Last edited by travelgreek (8-19-2017 10:24 PM)

Board footer