#1 7-1-2017 1:51 PM

lauro
Germany
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IVAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 4122

INDIA eVISA, ladakh and domestic flights.

ok i have so many questions for people who had been to india, specifically ladakh and  applying e-visa.

for the e-visa, how many months (or days) should i apply online before my flight and how many days would it take should i get my e-visa?

about ladakh - what is the reliable airline to travel direclty from new delhi to leh? im choosing between air india and jet airways, what are the possibilities that flights are on schedule and not cancelled? is there a railway connecton from delhi to leh (with interchange of course)? to help with acclimatization, bus travel is out of the question.

im not sure about this one - but i read that its not allowed to bring carry-on bags if travelling to leh using the airport? please clarify.

do they sell diamox withouth prescription in pharmacies in new delhi? is there a possibility to buy portable oxygen inhaler in leh?

thanks!

#2 7-1-2017 2:25 PM

travlnflyn_guy
Jeff
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster III
Nomad
Posts: 632

Re: INDIA eVISA, ladakh and domestic flights.

I'm guessing the e-visa wait time may be the same for almost everyone but when I applied 2 years ago, their website said it can be up to 4 days to get approval. Surprisingly, I got my approval back in 10 hours. I can't speak for German citizens but for Americans, the visa had to be used within 30 days of approval (for entering India, not leaving) or it expired and would have to reapply. It may be the same for you too. Things could be different now then when I went 2 years ago.

Can't answer your other questions.

#3 7-1-2017 3:21 PM

ulis
Uli
Vienna, Austria
Posts: 348

Re: INDIA eVISA, ladakh and domestic flights.

Had similar waiting times as above, i presume Germans get as well a 6 month visa, the 6 month start the day you get it (if you enter India 2 month after you got the visa you will have only 4 month, but visa rules can change overnight)
There is no railway, there is a bus from Srinagar (there might be soon a railway from New Dehli to Srinagar) and from Manali, delays of airplanes depend usually on the weather, not on the airline. was not in Leh but never heared of hand luggage not allowed, but a lot of things you can't have in the hand luggage and security controlls are in India more strict then in most countries.
Can't answer your other questions.

#4 7-2-2017 1:14 PM

TravelingChris
Chris
Pemberton, New Jersey
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi I
Tourist
Posts: 111

Re: INDIA eVISA, ladakh and domestic flights.

Agree with above. If I remember correctly, the website tells you not to apply until you're within 30 days of entry. It took about 24 hours to be approved, and you print out a little statement that says you've been granted an e-visa. I flew from Amman to Delhi and the Jordanians were weary to accept this documentation, but I assured them that it was an e-visa and I'd be allowed entry. Had no problems at Delhi airport, in fact the e-visa line was much shorter than regular immigration.

Last edited by TravelingChris (7-2-2017 1:19 PM)

#5 7-2-2017 4:20 PM

Lotus28
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 1958

Re: INDIA eVISA, ladakh and domestic flights.

Speaking of airlines, Jet Airways seemed to be more reliable than Air India.
When I visited Ladakh, there were no cancellation of Jet every day during my stay but there were some cancellations of Air India. Things may have been changed since I visited there but Jet is a good airline overall.

In any case you choose either airlines, I would definitely recommend you to secure some extra days between flights though(especially in winter.)

#6 7-3-2017 4:38 AM

kvom
Kirk
Cumming, Georgia
Award: Photographer IAward: Writer IAward: Vox Populi IV
Posts: 3287

Re: INDIA eVISA, ladakh and domestic flights.

I've flown both and also recommend Jet.

#7 7-3-2017 10:01 PM

pANSY22
♥♥♥Stefan♥♥♥
Duisburg, Germany
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi IAward: Spambuster I
Tourist
Posts: 175

Re: INDIA eVISA, ladakh and domestic flights.

Regarding the airlines: Apart from Air India and Jet Airways, GoAir and Vistara offer direct flights from Delhi to Leh. Due to the increased competition, all mentioned airlines have become quite reliable. Vistara is new, and it has a good reputation. smile

#8 8-9-2017 5:16 AM

sanfoodie
Sanjeev
Award: Happy Happy Happy
Sightseer
Posts: 51

Re: INDIA eVISA, ladakh and domestic flights.

Regarding Visa, rules, time period are same for all the people travelling to India and generally it is issued in 7 days time. Only those medicines which can be used to commit suicide or used by addicts are not available without prescription, rest all can be bought freely. In case of sleeping pills unless doctor prescribed no medicine store will give you in bulk.
As lot many people informed that there is no Rail line to Leh and there is no planning to have the same as such currently. I would like to add that Leh is not open through out the year. It remains open from end of May to end of Sept and some time one or two weeks later or sooner depending upon the weather conditions. Off course one can travel by Air through out the Year but most of the places remain closed during winters / heavy snow.
A normal person does not require any extra support of oxygen. The only advise is if you reach by air then to take rest for few hours before moving out so that your body get accustomed to the local conditions.
There are no such restrictions on carrying luggage whether hand bag or otherwise. The only thing is that security arrangements for traveling to that part is strict.
I am not very sure of oxygen inhaler whether available or not but it is a place which is visited the most and most of the things are easily available but yes on higher price.

#9 8-13-2017 1:24 PM

Holeydel
Manchester, England
Award: Photographer IAward: Writer IIAward: Vox Populi III
Nomad
Posts: 877

Re: INDIA eVISA, ladakh and domestic flights.

I was in Leh in last September and can pretty much say everything above still applied back then. I'll probably only add that I had an unusual experience when booking with GoAir, Leh - Delhi. My payment never went through when making the booking and about a minute later I had a phone call from GoAir asking if I just tried to make a booking. From there, we continued the payment over the phone. Part of me was wondering if it was a scam, but everything worked out fine.

Never saw any oxygen canisters, Are you heading to the Markha Valley?

#10 8-14-2017 6:10 AM

Pune, India
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)

Hi Lauro

I have been to Leh and surrounding areas twice so will answer that part. My recent trip was in May 2016.

1) What is the reliable airline to travel direclty from new delhi to leh?
There are 4 airlines which Serve Delhi-Leh route. Go Air, Vistara, Air India, Jet Airways. All are good. As a personal choice I will prefer in the sequence - Jet Airways, Go Air, Vistara and Air India. In High season i.e. May - September there is quite a rush on this route and you really need to book your ticket well in advance. I have seen that the return ticket price on this route may go 2 or 2.5 times then regular price. (Normally you should get return ticket around 200 USD or less, but if you book very late then it will cost almost 450 USD)

2) Is there a railway connection from Delhi to Leh (with interchange of course)?
A) Fly from Delhi to Leh
B) Fly to Srinagar (from Delhi or any other airport of India) and travel by road to Leh via Kargil.
C) Though you have mentioned bus travel is out of question, I have travel from Delhi to Manali by road in Bus and then from Manali to Leh by road again in a SUV with one night halt in between. This is the most scenic part of the Leh-Ladakh trip. But if you are travelling alone then this is not recommended because travel cost will go too high since you have to rent a vehicle for your own.

Regarding acclimatization, if you fly directly to Leh then just spend whole first day relaxing in your hotel. 2nd day just stroll in market and take sightseeing tour nearby and then continue with your itinerary. In my case I flew from my hometown (560meters above MSL) to Leh (3500 meters) in span of just 7 hours and this trick helped me in acclimatizing.

3) I am not sure about this one - but i read that its not allowed to bring carry-on bags if travelling to leh using the airport?
Regarding this, let me tell you that on my onward journey (Delhi to Leh by flight) there was no problem at all for Check in as well as carry in baggage. On return Journey NO Carry in baggage is allowed. Its really a headache for people who come to know about this when they reach Leh airport for return journey. Sometimes they allow carry in baggage in which papers are kept but strictly NO CLOTHES in carry in baggage. The check in process is really time consuming on return journey.

4) Do they sell diamox without prescription in pharmacies in new delhi?
YES. It is available without prescription, over the counter in medical shops. I have always used Diamox during my travel to this area and it works apart from a little inconvenience of frequent urination and sometimes tingling in hand or fingers. I always started taking diamox twice a day 2 DAYS before starting of my journey to Leh.

5) Is there a possibility to buy portable oxygen inhaler in leh?
YES. Actually you dont need to Buy it. You can RENT it when you go to Pangong Lake 4250m or any high altitude places above Leh. Just tell your tour provider / hotel desk that you want to rent a Oxygen Cylinder. Frankly I never needed it but we kept it with us since there were few old age people with me.

Bhushan

Last edited by bhush2006 (8-14-2017 6:11 AM)

#11 8-15-2017 7:00 AM

getmeoutofNYC2
New York, New York
Couch Potato
Posts: 1

Re: INDIA eVISA, ladakh and domestic flights.

I'm planning my first trip to India from the US.  Any suggestions on how to find a tour group? I'm going during high season (Dec-Jan, 2018) and it was recommended to visit north India, the golden triangle where the palaces are located, the Taj Mahal in Agra and then heading to Goa.  I have a friend in Goa and would be trilled if she could join me to tour the above locations.  Any suggestions booking the tour and flights? Please feel free to share any other insights you may have. Thanks.

#12 8-16-2017 6:54 AM

Hi
I see that you are planning for (Dec-Jan, 2018). So there is a good news for you.
There is a TB meetup in India from 14 Nov. 2018. The meetups is focused in Golden Triangle.

Just check the link http://www.travbuddy.com/meet-up/view.php?id=1605

Hope you can make for it and travel with few more TBs.

getmeoutofNYC2 wrote:

#13 8-17-2017 11:13 PM

TravChef
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 1951

bhush2006 wrote:

Bhushan

Bravo Bhushan...you answer very well and very informative better than I would answer for Thailand question.

#14 8-18-2017 7:16 AM

Re: INDIA eVISA, ladakh and domestic flights.

Thank you Jantima for your kind words!! Hope to meet u some day :-)

TravChef wrote:

bhush2006 wrote:

Bhushan

Last edited by bhush2006 (8-18-2017 7:17 AM)

Board footer