#1 8-6-2017 3:41 AM

siank73
United Kingdom
Couch Potato

Suggestions needed for my end of year trip to HK

Hi

I plan to be in Hong Kong during new years for 4/5 nights (thats the end of my trip)

I was planning on going to Bali, Beijing, Shanghai and then HK

I spoke with a tour operaator and they said the the weather in China will be cold and in Bali it will rain and that December not the right time to visit - which is fair enough

So I am not looking at other destinations before visiting HK at the end of the year

I've already been to Singapore, KL, Bangkkok, Phuket, Sydney

I have 3 weeks off from 9 Dec to 1 Jan

I've started looking at Vietnam/Cambodia - I've never been to these destinations before

Some suggestions please

#2 8-6-2017 4:33 AM

ulis
Uli
Vienna, Austria
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

Re: Suggestions needed for my end of year trip to HK

Raining season usually starts December or January in Bali, it doesn'n mean its raining constantly, usually 1 or 2 hours, less in the east of Bali, more in the center, but weather is not really predictable. Sumatra and Molukken Islands have a different raining season and should be fine.
Vietnam should be fine south of Danang, but drizzling and not warm further north at this time (cold sea), Cambodia should be fine, China is cold but Hong Kong usually not.

#3 8-6-2017 9:25 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad

North of Vietnam in December is cold: If you plan on visiting Vietnam in December concentrate on the Southern part like Saigon and the Mekong Delta- this part is hot and humid

Cambodia is very hot which is an ideal destination in December. If you have two weeks, starts in Phonm Penh and on your way to Siem Reap. Cambodia is very beautiful country and not really a favourite destination of Southeast Asia.

I spent on December in Hongkong during Christmas to New Year the weather is chill, you need a sweater to walk outside. Fire works held on Victoria harbour on New Years Eve

Bali in December is indeed rainy season which can disturbed your plan sometimes, but is not so bad. Somedays a heavy rainfalls and sometimes not so is kind of a gambling thing.

Last edited by shavy (8-6-2017 2:35 PM)

#4 8-6-2017 10:49 AM

siank73
United Kingdom
Couch Potato

Hi thanks for your replies...

So totally aviod northern Vietnam, thats a shame, as I've just read it's cold in Hanoi and Halong Bay as well

Could I combine Combodia/Southern Vietnam with Laos?

What is there to see/do in Laos?

#5 8-6-2017 11:30 AM

gingerbatik
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IVAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

Yes you can.  You can take bus from Ho Chi Minh city to Pnom Penh (6 hours) and explore the capital, and then you can take bus to Siam Reap (another 6 hours) to see the famous Angkor Wat.
You can fly with budget airlines such as Air Asia to Laos or take overnight train from Bangkok.
Vang vien and Vientien are nice cities in Laos.

Rain season in SEA is not the whole day rain, it probably rain for one or two hours and then you can have a clear day.  It is still worth travelling around in SEA and I have been there in many different months even in December.

Enjoy your trip.

#6 8-6-2017 2:22 PM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad

siank73 wrote:

So totally aviod northern Vietnam, thats a shame, as I've just read it's cold in Hanoi and Halong Bay as well

Of course you can combine these three countries, just going overland by bus, but first check if you need visa. I don't know which passport you hold, most visitors need visa entering to these three countries. If flying you can buy visa on arrivals, for Vietnam you must apply online first and so as Laos. Cambodia you'll get visa on arrival for 30$. There are so much to see depends on your interest

Last edited by shavy (8-6-2017 3:17 PM)

#7 8-6-2017 3:05 PM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Nomad

siank73 wrote:

The rainy season in Southeast Asia is from June to October. Indonesia the rainy season already starts from October but the worst month is December to January. I travel at this time of the year which wasn't a pleasant trip

If I were you choose one country where you can combine with HK

With your time I would say concentrate on Cambodia, there are so much to see. I spent 17 days in 2015 in Cambodia. If you have time to read on my blog this give you some informations

I didn't go straight from Phnom Pehn to Siem Reap- there are beautiful places to see in Cambodia such as: Kep and the Rabbit island, Kampot, Sihanoukville and the island of Koh Rong, Battambang and Siem Reap 

Laos is huge: If you want to visit Laos I would say, go to Luang Prabang - the temples of Luang Prabang is UNESCO World Heritage and outside the city there is beautiful waterfalls

Ventiane is a hectic city just like Bangkok and Jakarta where most international flights and bus arrived

Last edited by shavy (8-6-2017 3:26 PM)

#8 8-14-2017 7:51 PM

travelgreek
Jennifer
Michigan City, Indiana
Couch Potato

I don't think North Vietnam was that cold in December though. Comparing with snow in Michigan where I am living now. It's better to travel to Vietnam in winter than in summer. Summer is so hot over there as we traveled last time that's what I think though.

#9 8-15-2017 9:14 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Nomad

travelgreek wrote:

I don't think North Vietnam was that cold in December though. Comparing with snow in Michigan where I am living now. It's better to travel to Vietnam in winter than in summer. Summer is so hot over there as we traveled last time that's what I think though.

The winter in North Vietnam doesn't had snow, but can be cold as freezing sometimes especially in Hanoi and Sapa, which wasn't comfortable to travel around. 😀

#10 8-15-2017 9:54 AM

Ranchero
Award: Vox Populi II
Wanderer

Yes, Bali is best to visit during the summer:
http://www.baliguide.com/bali-info/weather.html
http://www.holiday-weather.com/bali/averages/

It seems like July-August are the best months. I want to go too, Bali is on my list!

As for other destinations: I'd recommend you a Cambodia-Vietnam trip.

For example: travel to Siem Reap and visit the nearby Angkor Wat, then head straight to Saigon in Vietnam. From there, travel north through Da Nang, Hue, Hanoi and the Halong Bay.

I think 14-21 days would suffice for such a trip. And you'd get a lot of time to chill, relax.

This is what I'd go smile

Hope you'll find the best choice and you'll have a wonderful trip!

#11 8-15-2017 10:46 AM

siank73
United Kingdom
Couch Potato

i think i'm certain it's going to be cambodia-vietnam-hk, i might head back to thailand before cambodia but will see if i can fit it in, cheers guys i am looking forward to my trip smile

#12 8-15-2017 10:51 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Nomad

siank73 wrote:

i think i'm certain it's going to be cambodia-vietnam-hk, i might head back to thailand before cambodia but will see if i can fit it in, cheers guys i am looking forward to my trip smile

Glad you made up your mind big_smile
Is going to be a nice trip, I loved Cambodia and Vietnam. Don't forget to checked your visa if you need one. Visas must paid in USD cash at the airport.

#13 8-15-2017 10:55 AM

siank73
United Kingdom
Couch Potato

i just need to book it now, thanks for the visa tip shavy cool

#14 8-17-2017 10:47 PM

Ranchero
Award: Vox Populi II
Wanderer

siank73 wrote:

Great!

I hope it turns out to be a great trip!

All best! wink

Board footer