#51 2-7-2017 7:06 AM

AvelinoL
Avelino
Turquel, Portugal
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Travelpedian
Couch Potato
Posts: 10

Re: Welcome to Virtual Tourist (VT) Members

Thanks Brian and friends, with your help and some investigation I'm already finding my way here. All my VT stuff is saved, and moving it here is starting to be a great challenge, deciding to group information in a different way, cleaning the garbage created by the erosion of time, refreshing and complementing outdated information.

I'd planned to use my time in a forced work, writing as much as possible, but I figured out that it seems to be a wrong way in TravBuddy. I'd rather do it smoothly, sharing impressions and smiles, focusing more in people than in places, in what seems to be one of the biggest differences to VT.

One thing where I still am lost is groups - I can´t find the link to them, and how to join them, but I'll keep on searching.

Of course I've already paid the entrance fee - wherever I go I always like to be really part of it!

 

#52 2-7-2017 2:28 PM

Paulovic
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter
Posts: 6051

Re: Welcome to Virtual Tourist (VT) Members

What a shame about VT!

We all know the status of TB at the moment. So we're happy to welcome many new members who will hopefully find their way here on TB. There are many active members who are always happy to help you around on TB.

Welcome to your new community, to your new home! smile

 

#53 3-9-2017 4:30 PM

spocklogic
Brian
Poquoson, Virginia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer
Posts: 4504

Re: Welcome to Virtual Tourist (VT) Members

AvelinoL wrote:

Thanks Brian and friends, with your help and some investigation I'm already finding my way here. All my VT stuff is saved, and moving it here is starting to be a great challenge, deciding to group information in a different way, cleaning the garbage created by the erosion of time, refreshing and complementing outdated information.

I'd planned to use my time in a forced work, writing as much as possible, but I figured out that it seems to be a wrong way in TravBuddy. I'd rather do it smoothly, sharing impressions and smiles, focusing more in people than in places, in what seems to be one of the biggest differences to VT.

One thing where I still am lost is groups - I can´t find the link to them, and how to join them, but I'll keep on searching.

Of course I've already paid the entrance fee - wherever I go I always like to be really part of it!

I missed your inquiry, Avelinol, about Groups before. They used to be present on TravBuddy and had some followers, though more following than participation. They were removed around 2011 as they were seen to be something not a lot of members actually used, and not enough so to justify keeping up maintenance on them. I've seen on Travellerspoint that they have them, but sort of the same situation and not used much by the members - Followers of groups, yes, but not much going on inside them.

I think you have also discovered something that is different in TravBuddy than VT. While content is valued here too the focus is also on people dynamics (comments, smiles, congrats, and such) for social interactions. It's not so much about the quantity and/or quality of the travel content, but how it serves as a commonality in love of travel for generating friendships through interaction here via reviews, blogs, awards and even the forums.

Last edited by spocklogic (3-9-2017 4:33 PM)

 

#54 3-10-2017 5:30 AM

vicIII
Victor
Syeverodonets'k, Ukraine
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Spambuster I
Couch Potato
Posts: 23

Re: Welcome to Virtual Tourist (VT) Members

Hi, Brian! Thanks a lot for your welcome and explanations! Let's hope for the best!smile

 

#55 3-11-2017 4:47 AM

nolan
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer
Posts: 3789

Re: Welcome to Virtual Tourist (VT) Members

spocklogic wrote:

AvelinoL wrote:

Thanks Brian and friends, with your help and some investigation I'm already finding my way here. All my VT stuff is saved, and moving it here is starting to be a great challenge, deciding to group information in a different way, cleaning the garbage created by the erosion of time, refreshing and complementing outdated information.

I'd planned to use my time in a forced work, writing as much as possible, but I figured out that it seems to be a wrong way in TravBuddy. I'd rather do it smoothly, sharing impressions and smiles, focusing more in people than in places, in what seems to be one of the biggest differences to VT.

One thing where I still am lost is groups - I can´t find the link to them, and how to join them, but I'll keep on searching.

Of course I've already paid the entrance fee - wherever I go I always like to be really part of it!

I missed your inquiry, Avelinol, about Groups before. They used to be present on TravBuddy and had some followers, though more following than participation. They were removed around 2011 as they were seen to be something not a lot of members actually used, and not enough so to justify keeping up maintenance on them. I've seen on Travellerspoint that they have them, but sort of the same situation and not used much by the members - Followers of groups, yes, but not much going on inside them.

I think you have also discovered something that is different in TravBuddy than VT. While content is valued here too the focus is also on people dynamics (comments, smiles, congrats, and such) for social interactions. It's not so much about the quantity and/or quality of the travel content, but how it serves as a commonality in love of travel for generating friendships through interaction here via reviews, blogs, awards and even the forums.

Yes I agree with Brian that the people dynamics is what I look forward to here. I have about 643 TravBuddy friends, and keep on adding to that total. Of these friends I have met more than 170 IN PERSON, which translates to about a quarter in terms of ratio of friends met/total number of TravBuddy friends.

I may have posted quite a number of forum posts on TravBuddy, but my greatest enjoyment is making friends and meeting up with them, not to mention traveling with some of them as well.

 

#56 3-26-2017 12:13 PM

cottonwood
Loren
Sun Valley, Idaho
Couch Potato
Posts: 14

Re: Welcome to Virtual Tourist (VT) Members

Glad there is life beyond Virtualtourist. I so miss going there. Time to start a new chapter here at Travel buddies.

 

#57 3-27-2017 12:29 AM

spocklogic
Brian
Poquoson, Virginia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer
Posts: 4504

Re: Welcome to Virtual Tourist (VT) Members

Info for posting links in forums:

This is the only feature that can not be granted by winning an award and just takes time after signing up. Narrowed it down a bit and looks like it is more than 60 days, but less than 75 days after signup.

 

#58 6-23-2017 10:44 PM

spocklogic
Brian
Poquoson, Virginia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer
Posts: 4504

Re: Welcome to Virtual Tourist (VT) Members

I would guess most VT members on TravBuddy have ability to post links in the forums now.
Hope everyone has settled in and enjoying the TravBuddy site smile

 

#59 6-24-2017 2:10 AM

zschachwitz
Keith
Chestfield, England
Couch Potato
Posts: 4

Re: Welcome to Virtual Tourist (VT) Members

Hello.

I was zschachwitz at VT from 2002, to closure, but with a brief break in 2011.

My wife and I met german_eagle in Dresden the other week, and he reminded to me to join.   So I have

 

#60 8-16-2017 2:33 AM

travelgreek
Jennifer
Michigan City, Indiana
Couch Potato
Posts: 17

Re: Welcome to Virtual Tourist (VT) Members

I have been in VT for awhile, that was a great community though. That's too bad

 

#61 10-9-2017 3:29 PM

spocklogic
Brian
Poquoson, Virginia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer
Posts: 4504

Re: Welcome to Virtual Tourist (VT) Members

travelgreek wrote:

I have been in VT for awhile, that was a great community though. That's too bad

Sorry, Jennifer, I missed this post. What was your username on VT? I'll add you to the list of other former VT members, which can be found here:

List of VirtualTourist (VT) Members now on TravBuddy

Last edited by spocklogic (10-9-2017 3:30 PM)

 

#62 11-18-2017 9:50 PM

spocklogic
Brian
Poquoson, Virginia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer
Posts: 4504

Re: Welcome to Virtual Tourist (VT) Members

Some recent arrivals of former VT members this month:

Fili (Filippo) : Fili.it on VT
travelgreek (Jennifer) : ??? on VT
l_joo (Lim) : l_joo on VT

Visit their pages here on TravBuddy (see links) and send them a welcome & smile smile

 

#63 11-18-2017 11:39 PM

Kathrin_E
Kathrin
Karlsruhe, Germany
Award: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer
Posts: 273

Re: Welcome to Virtual Tourist (VT) Members

Another former "non-human" VTer, my travel companion Russell_the_Wombat, is here, too. He won't have a registration of his own, though, but he runs his separate blog within my pages.

 

#64 11-19-2017 12:50 AM

spocklogic
Brian
Poquoson, Virginia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer
Posts: 4504

Re: Welcome to Virtual Tourist (VT) Members

We can put Russell_the_Wombat on the list and link him on Travbuddy to the blog instead of a separate profile if you like. I've added Russell as:

Russell_the_Wombat (Russell) : Russell_the_Wombat on VT

Last edited by spocklogic (11-19-2017 12:58 AM)

 

#65 11-19-2017 3:20 AM

Kathrin_E
Kathrin
Karlsruhe, Germany
Award: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer
Posts: 273

Re: Welcome to Virtual Tourist (VT) Members

Thank you Brian! Russell sends wombat cuddles...

 

Board footer

Powered by PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB