#1 8-9-2017 7:25 PM

Jarred1200
Jarred
Perth, Australia
Couch Potato

India: Manali to Guwahati by motorbike! How to get "All India Permits"

Plan: Manali to Guwahati by motorbike, with camping gear! Bikes sorted but looking for info/ tips. i.e. where to get all India permits? Restricted area permits? camping spots and getting off beaten track. Any info much appreciated!

#2 8-9-2017 8:01 PM

planxty
Fergy
London, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Tourist

Re: India: Manali to Guwahati by motorbike! How to get "All India Permits"

It is 26 years since I was India so I haven't a clue but logic would dictatethat ocntacting the Indian authoritiesin your home country might be a good start.  I take it you have exhausted the online options?

Good luck with it as it sounds like a great trip.

#3 8-10-2017 12:04 AM

ulis
Uli
Vienna, Austria
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

For a Protected Area Permit try to get one along with your visa application then it will be added to your visa. Otherwise the Ministry of Home Affairs office (it did take me 3 days to get one, the Indian bureaucracy can be amacing),, for Sikkim and Manipur (maybe for others as well) you can get it at the main road entering (looks like a border post), Arunachal Pradesh the Inner Line Permit at AP Houses in New Delhi, Kolkata or Guwahati, for some other places you will not get it (Nicobar Islands and most of the  Lakshadweep islands for instance).
Have not traveled by motorbike, in general India is not good for camping, but on all the mainroads you find everywhere cheap and very basic accomodation.

#4 8-14-2017 8:48 AM

Jarred1200
Jarred
Perth, Australia
Couch Potato

Thank you very much for the info!! Very useful.

I have been able to find most of the info needed now smile I am unable to post the link of RA/PA areas throughout India unfortunately.

Thank you
Jarred

#5 8-14-2017 10:35 PM

ulis
Uli
Vienna, Austria
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

Have a good trip

Board footer