#1 8-8-2017 8:24 PM

nikki
Liverpool, England
Posts: 36

kindle and camera

So I am going for a month to thailand backpacking, I usually take books with me everywhere, but, this would be crazy so looking for recommendations on kindles or kindle like things to get books on to take with me.

Also need a camera just for taking pictures will be taking pictures of scenery, animals, people etc (and something relatively straight forward as I am a bit of a technophobe)

#2 8-8-2017 11:21 PM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Nomad
Posts: 960

Re: kindle and camera

I'm not a reader if going on a trip I only carry my lonely planet book 😊
For camera everyone has its own choice, I have  a Nikon pocket camera  which I rarely use, I mostly use my iphone 7 for photograph. Most travelers carrying DSLR camera for a better photos, I use once before but is to heavy for me to carry all the time

Last edited by shavy (8-8-2017 11:27 PM)

#3 8-9-2017 12:10 AM

Re: kindle and camera

Kindle is good if you want to buy all the books from Amazon (easy), if you have allready e-books its better to us Kobo or PocketBook, much easier to get your e-book on them.
For Lonely Planet (and similar) e-book travel guides its best to have a Android phone or tablet with a 6 inch or bigger screen (since these things use the power very fast you should have also a power bank), these things usualy have cameras (but not the best quality)
A DSLR camera is for my taste to havy to carry around,
Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Panasonic, Sony have fairly decent smaller cameras.

#4 8-9-2017 12:25 AM

aloneinthecrowd
Jutta
Völlenerfehn, Germany
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad
Posts: 969

Re: kindle and camera

Personnally I love my DSLR camera because I want perfect photos from the places I've been and probably will never visit again. But it's easy to carry because I'll never backpack wink Going backpacking I would choose a good but light one like a Lumix (or other brand) travel zoom camera. They are compact and small but have a wide zoom range. The quality is good also. My husband has one and we take it when we don't want to carry the heavy one.

A kindle or kindle like (it's a matter of taste) is great because you can carry tons of book just in a small hardware. I always was a book reader and carried around at least 2 or 3 books on my trips but now I've just my kindle. At first I was a bit sceptical. I like the feeling of a "real" book in my hands but now I love it. I even read more than before wink You can read everywhere - even in the dark because the display is lighted. So, if you're in the plane and the light is low you won't bother your neighbor with turning the reading lamp on wink

#5 8-9-2017 12:44 AM

sarahelaine
Sarah Elaine
Manchester, England
Globetrotter
Posts: 5999

Re: kindle and camera

I have an old fashioned kindle, and a newer one that's more like a tablet.  I prefer reading on the older style one - the kind that does books but not much else - because it's not backlit so it's better in the outdoors and the battery lasts a long time.  But the tablet one is handy for downloading films too if that is going to matter to you.  Both are very user friendly.

For a camera, I think smartphones are perfectly adequate if you are only taking snaps to remind yourself of your trips, and you aren't going anywhere especially rough.  All my photos have been on smartphone for the last four years or so.  I couldn't enlarge them to poster size or sell them to a magazine, but I can't work all the buttons on a DSLR and I would only have it on automatic anyway.  If you are actually into photography as art and the quality is essential to you then search these forums.  There are long, detailed forums with some real expertise quoted on specific mirrorless compacts and great advice on the big cameras, but it gets bogged into more technical details than I really understand.  But the advantages for me of using my phone is it's one less set of batteries or chargers, it fits in my pockets, and if you look at my blogs you'll see the photos themselves - not anywhere near pro standard but perfectly good enough for printing out in albums, giving to my family and reminding me of my trips.

Last edited by sarahelaine (8-9-2017 12:45 AM)

#6 8-9-2017 1:00 AM

Re: kindle and camera

In Bangkok (best in Khao San and Rambutri street), in many other tourist places and also in many accomodations you can find  reasonable used books. In Bangkok are also some very big book stores (in the Paragon and Central World shopping malls for instance) with a wide selection of english books.

Last edited by ulis (8-9-2017 5:12 AM)

#7 8-9-2017 6:53 AM

Neerpelt, Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)

Re: kindle and camera

I bought a kindle like reader (Kobo) but I don't think it matters much which kind you buy, just think if you want it to have backlight for reading at night. Don't buy a tablet if you're going to use it mainly for reading, those are really tiring for the eyes.

For camera advice a lot already has been said on this forum

And lots more if you search for it

#8 8-9-2017 7:40 AM

grandmar
RosalieAnn
Leonardtown, Maryland
Posts: 461

Re: kindle and camera

I have a Kindle, and I mostly use it in airports and on airplanes to pass the time reading especially if I am alone and there is no wi-fi.  I have an old one which is not backlit - at least I can't see it in the dark.  I have a cover for it which has a tiny reading light attached.  If you want to get your newspaper subscription on it, the Kindle doesn't do it - you have to get another kind of e-reader.

There are many kinds of point and shoot digital cameras.  I do not have any of them, except for an Olympus which is a dive camera that can be used underwater.  That camera isn't especially good for scenery out of the water but it does a good job underwater.  I take my DSLR camera almost everywhere, and I wear it on a vest to keep the weight off my neck.  Otherwise I use my phone for photos, and back it up to the cloud.

#9 8-9-2017 3:53 PM

farquar79
nikki
Liverpool, England
Posts: 36

Re: kindle and camera

I have a tablet already so I will only be using the kindle when backpacking (at home and leisure holidays I still read actual books I like having books no clue why)

See I would love to have a DSLR, my worry would be I wouldn't know how to use it, but, I am going to look into them and see how complicated they are, maybe I could master one before February.

Grandmar thank you for the tip on the olympus, I am spending a week diving in Thailand and wanted an underwater camera, so I will be looking into that also.

Stef I will have a good read of them now and see what is recommended.

Thank you everyone and Ulis thanks for the tip about being able to get books in Bangkok that will come in handy I can never resist buying books.

#10 8-9-2017 9:33 PM

waynecarsonbe
Posts: 3

Re: kindle and camera

You can use your phone and download some apps for editing photos

#11 8-9-2017 10:32 PM

farquar79 wrote:

When I bought my latest canon camera they offered a midday instruction session to get to know the camera (I didn't take up on the offer since I'm using canon for years and years ... and years :-) ) I figure the other DSLR brands offer instructions like that or you could ask for it, a decent camera store will give you decent insttructions.
Just don't think a DSLR automatically makes better photos because it's a DSLR, and if you're only going to use the automatic settings there are cheaper, lighter and easier options

#12 8-9-2017 11:02 PM

farquar79 wrote:

Stef I will have a good read of them now and see what is recommended.

Used books, the place i prefere is in Soi Rambuttri (parallel to Khao San) past Sawasdee House and Rambuttri Village Inn towards the river (in Soi Rambuttri close to the river you can find also several very cheap hotels, not bookable by internet, some very basic but a room cheaper then a hostel bed)

Last edited by ulis (8-9-2017 11:04 PM)

#13 10-11-2017 9:12 AM

pfsmalo
Paul
Saint Malo, France
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Tourist
Posts: 144

Re: kindle and camera

Hi Delia, If you are using Windows on your computer, the Windows Media Galery allows changes in exposition, light, cropping, straightening horizons, changinging to b+w or sepia, etc and is fairly easy to use for a beginner. I use it for my standard photos and just use Photoshop if I have a pic that I want to enlarge into a poster.

#14 10-13-2017 5:07 AM

Re: kindle and camera

Photoshop is not for beginners, Lightroom might be a better tool but still takes some practice
You can also check out Gimp, it's free and also available for Linux

#15 10-13-2017 5:35 AM

milestx
Miles
Austin, Texas
Sightseer
Posts: 85

Re: kindle and camera

Paint.net is free, with a paid option, for use on Windows computers. It can read psd (layers) files created by Photoshop.

#16 10-18-2017 4:47 PM

monkeymia79
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Tourist
Posts: 212

Re: kindle and camera

I have a Kindle Paperwhite and would recommend that one. The screen can be read outside in the sunshine (a tablet is difficult in the sun as it has shadows) and also at night by reducing the light on the screen.

I find the battery lasts for ages (up to 2 weeks with heavy use) and is fast to charge.

If your not picky about the books you read, there is 2 websites I know of that offer free or heavily reduced prices for books. They aren't new releases but most of pretty good books.

PM me if you want the websites, I won't share here in case its against the forum rules.

Board footer