#1 12-5-2016 9:57 PM

Any souvenir suggestions? from Europe to USA

Hi all,

Just wondering what you think will be great souvenirs to bring home to family & friends. I intend to buy things that'll last for a while but do not weigh so much (xample maybe a small painting but unsure  if I would be breaking any law if I bring such to the USA  or anything else other than paintings)...

Also, if you have tips where (like the name of the store,its location, etc) to get souvenirs and approx. price in $$. I am heading to Paris, France for a week  ( will see Trevi Fountain, Eiffel tower, Louvre Museum, etc f and then head  to Rome, Italy--will tour the Vatican City, Naples, Amalfi Coast and Como as well).

I hope I am detailed enough to get grest recommendations. Thank you kindly:)

#2 12-7-2016 8:45 AM

sarahelaine
Sarah Elaine
Manchester, England
Globetrotter
Posts: 5999

Re: Any souvenir suggestions? from Europe to USA

For small low value souvineers like paintings I don't think there are import restrictions. The main restrictions to watch for will probably be food - unpasteurised cheese and stuff like that. But the us customs will have a website to explain to you and you should check that.

I would say it is better to buy something thoughtful for the person you are buying for, based on their likes, than something too stereotypically souvineer. For example if you have a friend who loves art, you could buy a book in the Louvre gift shop, on some of their catalogue. Or buy a fashion conscious friend a printed scarf somewhere. Museum gift shops are a good first stop. I also liked the quirky shops in the Isles in the Seine- I can't remember their names, but the Isle de La Cite  and the Isle St Louis are good places to walk around anyway. Or the car show rooms on the Champs Elysee for car loving friends.

#3 12-7-2016 11:26 AM

Bojasem
Taher
Kuwait City, Kuwait
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad
Posts: 590

key chain, stamps & T-shirts

#4 12-28-2016 4:03 PM

Re: Any souvenir suggestions? from Europe to USA

Thank you Sarahelaine..I just got back from my trip from France. I went to the Louvre and yes the gift shop was great...bought some key chains, Mona Lisa wall photo, coasters, magnets. Also went to Sacred Heart (La Baselique du Sacre Couer) had great souvenir alley and got some  sweaters and shirts, scarfs, etc. I didn't get any books due to weight but would have been a great idea if I did not have a lot of baggage, lol. I think the recipients of any souvenir would be appreciative enough of what is given to them and of course even simple things would have been fine. It is the thought that would count anyway smile

sarahelaine wrote:

#5 12-28-2016 4:05 PM

Re: Any souvenir suggestions? from Europe to USA

Thank you Bojasem....good ideas... got some shirts and key chains and more...in both my Italy and France trips.

Bojasem wrote:

key chain, stamps & T-shirts

#6 12-29-2016 7:51 AM

stefmuts
Stefanie
Neerpelt, Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer
Posts: 1350

Re: Any souvenir suggestions? from Europe to USA

I collect the flag patches you can sew on your backpack, mine never make it there, I put them in a frame
It's getting harder to find them though, I now also have small bracelets and bookmarkers in the frame where I couldn't find a patch
I think they are great souvenirs, but not to bring for family and friends, there the fridge magnets might be a better option. If you get them small paintings you have to know their taste in art, I wouldn't do it, but then I have different taste to many friends and family

#7 12-31-2016 12:10 AM

spocklogic
Brian
Poquoson, Virginia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer
Posts: 4488

Re: Any souvenir suggestions? from Europe to USA

Italy has lots of blown glass objects and ceramics of all sorts. They are some specialties in Italy and make unique gifts as they are handmade. Smaller pieces don't break the bank and can be packed well in luggage.

#8 1-3-2017 11:03 AM

Re: Any souvenir suggestions? from Europe to USA

Yes...thank you Stefmuts and Spocklogic. I got somesmall ceramics from Rome--Amalfi Coast cities-Positano, Sorrento areas and Vatican city-- "Nativity" wood carvings so elegantly done and weight was very light. Sooo much great ideas and advices here. I appreciate them all. My next Europe trip in 2018 again ( Rome again, Spain, Switzerland, London) wsih me luck. Will start saving now. I will remember the great tips hre in TravBuddy...
Bonjour! Arrivederci!

stefmuts wrote:

#9 1-24-2017 3:01 PM

tyhasc
Delaware, United States
Posts: 1

Re: Any souvenir suggestions? from Europe to USA

I'm a big fan of those penny press machines. They're fairly cheap and take up no space at all. I usually keep mine in that little 5th pocket in my jeans. There's a website that helps find them: Penny Collector

#10 2-21-2017 2:52 PM

khalilamod
Khalil
Cape Town, South Africa
Award: Happy Happy Happy
Sightseer
Posts: 53

Re: Any souvenir suggestions? from Europe to USA

It is difficult to find authentic and genuine souvenirs of a country, they all seem to come from China, Taiwan or some foreign country. What I do is to collect nice shiny pebbles, shells, barks, or natural things and package then into nice presentation boxes and mark them as "original ......" from that country. It cost virtually nothing and is highly appreciated as gifts by your friends.

#11 3-18-2017 8:07 PM

milestx
Miles
Austin, Texas
Sightseer
Posts: 85

Re: Any souvenir suggestions? from Europe to USA

I collect small objects that can hang on the family's Christmas tree. This often means purchasing a little souvenir-y object with the name of the location (Barcelona, Beijing, Quito, etc.), then affixing a string or hook to it when I'm back home.

Every year, our tree has a few more of these special decorations which give us great memories.

#12 3-18-2017 8:50 PM

vances
Vance
Dayton, Ohio
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer
Posts: 412

sarahelaine wrote:

Very true, though I confess to emailing my wife once when connecting home through de Gaulle that "I was headed home from Paris, anything you want me to pick up?".  She asked for some good cheese and I bought some Camembert - it was from a shop inside the airport terminals and I was groggy from the previous ten hour flight, so forgot I would still need to clear customs back in USA.  Six hours later I reeked to the high heavens with a lump of stinky cheese in my backpack, but when the customs agent asked if I had anything to declare I just replied "no" and got waved through!

I rely on those tacky refrigerator magnets as mementos - inexpensive, easy to transport, no pretension and they still rekindle fond memories...

#13 3-26-2017 12:23 PM

cottonwood
Loren
Sun Valley, Idaho
Posts: 14

Re: Any souvenir suggestions? from Europe to USA

A lot of photographs. Most trips I take I come back with 300 to 500 pics depending on the trip. My friends/family get their souvenirs via a postcard with a stamp and mailed from the country I'm visiting.

#14 3-30-2017 2:23 PM

LIFEISGRAND
Award: Happy Happy HappyAward: Ambassador
Posts: 43

Re: Any souvenir suggestions? from Europe to USA

I enjoy sending postcards from whichever country I happen to be in so that the receiver gets to see the cool stamp and cancellation stamp when sending a traditional postcard, as cottonwood mentioned!

That being said, I was recently in Latvia and a fellow traveler at a hostel showed me an app called Postagram. Basically you take a picture on your phone, presumably a cool selfy with some historic monument or whatever, and the company will print a postcard using your photo and mail it to whomever for 99 cents. They’re quality cards, but you do miss out on using a foreign stamp. My mother and grandmother enjoy the personalized cards much more, though!

#15 6-26-2017 11:33 PM

kylepimp
Posts: 7

Re: Any souvenir suggestions? from Europe to USA

When you go to Effel Tower, there is a mini Effel Tower key holder. Those are cheap and symbols France. so I recommend buying those.

#16 8-8-2017 2:19 AM

MarionPQ
Marion
United Kingdom
Posts: 3

yep little tour d'Eiffel is a 1 euro souvenir, but still a souvenir smile

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer