#1 6-25-2017 1:48 PM

starship1
Sylvia
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Couch Potato

Ads Disguised as Travel Blogs

I am repeatedly seeing ads being posted here which have nothing to do with travel but are "disguised" as travel blogs. They're all similar but the poster/TB member names change.  Today's are "judyclair24" "blogging " about pharmaceuticals and other things. There's also "vestgrass91" today with the same topic.  Why are the "moderators" of TravBuddy allowing these pseudo travel posters to infiltrate TravBuddy? Hope someone can get rid of them.

#2 6-25-2017 2:31 PM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad

Re: Ads Disguised as Travel Blogs

You can report that as a spam. Go to their profile and click as spam, there is a topic about advertising if you go off topic forum you'll see discussion about spammers

#3 6-25-2017 4:53 PM

starship1
Sylvia
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Couch Potato

Thanks Belinda!

#4 6-25-2017 5:52 PM

Lupobianco
Andy
Melbourne, Australia
Award: Critic IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

shavy wrote:

You can report that as a spam. Go to their profile and click as spam, there is a topic about advertising if you go off topic forum you'll see discussion about spammers

And here is the link:  http://www.travbuddy.com/forums/viewtop … 0&p=12

If you see spam blogs/users certainly report them yourself, but also post a link in the "spambusters" thread (above).  Some spammers take multiple reports to remove, if they have been members for a long time.

#5 6-25-2017 6:05 PM

bensonryan
Ryan
Yokohama, Japan
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Tourist

They always post one blog and are suspiciously out of New York too.

#6 6-25-2017 8:11 PM

jacobi
Bendigo, Australia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi I
Tourist

That's why they have the Spambuster Award Sylvia smile

#7 6-25-2017 11:09 PM

Kathrin_E
Kathrin
Karlsruhe, Germany
Award: Photographer IIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Tourist

No jacobi - the Spambuster voting and award only work with spam reviews, but not blog entries.

It takes several - I do not know how many but must be a notable number - of spam reports until a spammer or spam blog entry is actually deleted. I have found spam blogs with 60+ entries which have been active for about a year.

This site does have a serious spam problem, and no efficient way of dealing with it. Even this "Spambuster" thing is not too efficient. Concerning the blogs, there is no way to directly report blog entries. One can report the profile of the spammer. Then there is this "Spambuster club" thread in the Off topic forum, where links to these blogs can be posted, hoping that enough other members will take the effort also to report the spammer.

The administrators ought to devote some thoughts to this issue.

#8 6-26-2017 1:53 AM

spocklogic
Brian
Poquoson, Virginia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

Kathrin_E wrote:

I have found spam blogs with 60+ entries which have been active for about a year.

That member has been deleted, Kathrin. I sent Eric a list of habitual spammers last month and he deleted them all.

Regarding the spam here, the admins just don't work on the site full time anymore, so they are not going to do a daily spam cleaning. They do delete profiles when sent a list of habitual spammers. We have the spambuster award for reviews which is fairly effective. There is also The Spambuster Club in the forums for listing spammy profiles that contain advertisement and/or span blogs that need reporting. Some members posting in this forum thread may never have visited the Spambuster Club thread, so would encourage them to do so - post spammy profiles, and report ones that  are listed by other members. As I've said a number of times before, it rather takes a village to keep the site as clean as possible from spam and the more members that get involved, the better we are able as a community to keep spam off the site. I participate in this on a daily basis as part of my activities here and encourages others to do so also.

#9 6-26-2017 2:11 AM

Kathrin_E
Kathrin
Karlsruhe, Germany
Award: Photographer IIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Tourist

We have discussed this before, Brian. Do you really think that this system is effective - compared to other sites, where spam is deleted or at least made unreadable after the first report?

The minimum we'd need is a report spam button in the blogs, instead of having to go to the member profile first.

#10 6-26-2017 6:48 AM

stefmuts
Stefanie
Neerpelt, Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

Kathrin_E wrote:

We have discussed this before, Brian. Do you really think that this system is effective - compared to other sites, where spam is deleted or at least made unreadable after the first report?

The minimum we'd need is a report spam button in the blogs, instead of having to go to the member profile first.

Delete after the first report is a bit harsh but I get your point. Some of them keep coming back or are not deleted at all
A spam button on the blog is a good idea, don't know why its not there you can report forumposts and profiles, but not the blogs

#11 8-6-2017 11:10 AM

Toonsarah
Sarah
London Borough of Ealing, United Kingdom
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Couch Potato

stefmuts wrote:

Delete after the first report is a bit harsh but I get your point. Some of them keep coming back or are not deleted at all

Deleting the member would perhaps be harsh, but deleting the actual bit of spam surely not?

Board footer