#1 2-15-2017 5:16 PM

India for a year?

Hey everyone!

We are after some advice, thoughts and inspiration if you will.

Me and my girlfriend have wanted to travel and experience India for a while but now we have our first baby on the way and had thought that would put a stop on things.

However, we like to watch the TV series 'The Real Marigold Hotel' where Z list celebs travel and see if they could retire there. Now, we are nowhere near retirement! 30 and 26 but seeing life in India (not in the cities) and learning about the cost of living...We are thinking about the possibility of maybe spending a year there in about 18 months when our son will be 1.

Kerala, well, Kochi specifically takes our fancy. Being a place of equality and a more laid back pace in comparison to the big cities.

We are both very interested in Hinduism and ayervedic living. Yoga and spirituality too and feel that living in a place like that may help us take it from an interest we have, more in to an understanding and part of our life style.

What do you guys and gals think?

Also, what other places in India would be of consideration that would be in more natural settings than in a bustling city?

smile

#2 2-15-2017 8:55 PM

Lotus28
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer
Posts: 1971

Re: India for a year?

Congrats on your gf's pregnancy.
I had a baby last year and life had changed so drastically here, but it's all so much fun :-)
As a mom of 5months old son, I think your plan is not impossible but can be a bit optimistic and you will have to think about things a lot when your baby arrived.

I would consider if there's any good hospitals that may give enough medical treatment to the baby in case of emergency.
In general, I understand that the medical level in India is quite advanced, but how easy is it to get? I am not quite sure about the point and would like to investigate before I wing it.
Infants and toddlers can get diseases so easily because their immune system is still not strong enough.
And what about the vaccination schedule? My son is getting several vaccinations every month now and will have to have some more when he turns one. And in order to goti India, which additional vaccines your baby should and can get? I would recommend you to discuss with doctors after arrival.

And I would suggest to wait to make a final decision until you actually see the baby.
Anything can happen during pregnancy and delivery.
I have always been very healthy and didn't have any issues during pregnancy but due to placental abruption happened just before the delivery and lost 2litres of blood. We both survived but it took me for much longer to recover.
We originally planned a trip to HK or somewhere abroad in May this year before we actually meet our son but I think it's still too early for me on my health condition. So consider about your gf and baby's health first then decide when and how you are going.

After all, good luck on you guys! I hope your gf and baby a safe delivery. And hope your dream comes true.

#3 2-16-2017 5:13 AM

Re: India for a year?

Thank you for your reply and thoughtful opinion.

We would have medicial insurance for certain just incase any of us needed it, especially the little one.

I just think we all can let opportunities to truly live life pass us by by getting bogged down with fears and what if's but on the other hand you'd hate for something to happen and then feel responsible.

However, given the lifestyle we would like to live and teach and set an example for our little one, we still think a year in a country far more spiritual, far more connected to nature would be great for us all.

Maybe doing it when he is just a year old may be a little soon. Probably 2 would be a better, safer age and he'd be more likely to take things in at that age too.

Still we have the question of where to go though. Its exciting! Planning for a truly memorable and life influencing year away in a country that offers so much than the humdrum of the concrete jungle that is the western world.

#4 2-17-2017 1:26 PM

khalilamod
Khalil
Cape Town, South Africa
Award: Happy Happy Happy
Sightseer
Posts: 53

Re: India for a year?

Hello you guys. India is really amazing and a good place to spend time learning  their cultures and traditions. People there have learnt to adapt to situations and the bigger city areas are fast becoming modernised. Sanitation and water is not of the best, but I am sure you will adjust accordingly.

As far as travel is concern, India is vast. I would suggest you zone off the areas and allocate time for each area. I am sure you are doing a lot of reading of places to visit, so let that guide you in planning your trip. I would suggest you start in UP (your arrival city being Delhi) and work your way towards the south covering areas of Maharashtra, then south to Bangalore, Goa and Kolkata. Do your research before embarking upon such an adventurous trip

Best wishes to both of you and the soon to be new arrival.

#5 2-18-2017 8:11 AM

kvom
Kirk
Cumming, Georgia
Award: Photographer IAward: Writer IAward: Vox Populi IV
Explorer
Posts: 3297

Re: India for a year?

Most visas to India limit the total stay to less than a year.  You will want to see what type(s) you qualify for.

#6 2-22-2017 8:14 AM

Thanks for the replies!

I think on further discussion, we are going to go initially for 1 month next summer. Rent a house a see how we like it.

We both like to be in nature and rural places so if we didnt want to be as central to kochi, where else in the south could we go that has maintained its authentic indian culture?

Markets, temples, old buildings, farms, tea plantations?

#7 2-23-2017 2:00 AM

Anjali33
anjali
New Delhi, India
Award: Writer I
Posts: 19

Re: India for a year?

India's languages, religions, dance, music, architecture, food, and customs differs from place to place within the country. The Indian culture, often labeled as an amalgamation of several cultures, spans across the Indian subcontinent and has been influenced by a history that is several millennia old.

#8 2-23-2017 3:40 AM

Thanks Anjali.

It is the Hindu philosophy and way of life that we are interested in. I'd love to be in a place where i can meet with people who live it and hear their stories and beliefs.

Im really interested in understanding the belief system and the meanings of all their deva's.

I'd love to understand it better to incorporate that, ayurvedic principles as well as the yoga and meditation that i already practice.

#9 2-23-2017 1:56 PM

Posts: 56

DeanoRebecky wrote:

Thanks for the replies!

VERY SENSIBLE!

COCHIN would be a marvellous choice - a month there would be most enjoyable and very interesting BUT it gets hot & humid.

We first took our daughter to India when she was about 7 or 8 months. Everyone was so very sweet and kind to her.

#10 2-23-2017 6:58 PM

Re: India for a year?

Thanks for the support Adam. Its nice to see someone else who has done similar. Maybe you could be a source of wisdom for us? wink

We are particulaly concerned about Leo getting sick...what are the does and donts and what vaccinations did your daughter need? How did you protect her from the sun?

Thanks

#11 3-26-2017 10:16 AM

wanderingtiger_sam
Sam
Nashik, India
Award: Happy Happy Happy
Posts: 27

Hello,

Nashik city is perfect combination of both ancient Vedic sciences, Yoga university & modern technology...

Suggest to read and understand more, if interested then I can also help you out for further processing..!

#12 3-26-2017 6:53 PM

stanley_021
Posts: 8

Re: India for a year?

If you are interested more in Hinduism, then you should travel to Varanasi. You will be surprised to see the number of western tourists mingling with the locals and living a life so different from the modern society.

#13 3-27-2017 4:07 AM

gomesal1
Allen
Goa, India
Posts: 10

Re: India for a year?

It is very nice and bold step for you guys. To start with, South India offers you a great natural view. Kochi is real jewel. You can also try some of the places in Tamil Nadu, where you will find lot of options like Mahabalipuram. The places is great for nature as well as culture. You will learn about the Indian culture as well as way of living. Nagercoil is also a good option in Tamil Nadu. If you are looking for specific in Kerala, there are other places like Kozhikode, Munnar which you can browse, If you love it you can try these too. Else you can atleast make a trip here while your stay in Kerala.

Best wishes to you, your gf and your baby. Hope everything goes well. All the best for your journey.

#14 5-21-2017 11:52 PM

sukoon33
Sukoon
Jaipur, India
Posts: 2

hey,
First of all congratulations to you both. Its a good action plan friend. India is one of the best place to explore heritage, culture ,food, languages, palaces &forts and the cameric beauty is unable to explain. As you asked for advice you can search places online.
hope u have a great time and fun..
all the very Best dear.. smile

#15 5-22-2017 10:19 AM

Apurva_N
Apurva
New Delhi, India
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer
Posts: 389

Re: India for a year?

Congratulations to you both, and wish you a good trip to India should you decide to do it.

Kochi is a good choice, I've had friends from Europe who've stayed there long-term and really liked it. Another place you might want to consider, if you prefer South India, is Ooty. It also has a vibrant yoga scene of sorts.

Of course, Rishikesh in the north is the yoga capital of India but it is getting a bit crowded these days. The smaller towns in the Garhwal region of the Lower Himalayas are another great option if you want to stay away from the bigger cities, but these might put you at some distance from medical facilities and the like too.

Another criterion to consider is what branch of Hinduism/yoga/Indian philosophy you are most interested in. Different regions have different variations on these and you might want to research that a bit.

Best wishes...

#16 5-25-2017 1:27 AM

Martinlois
Posts: 6

Re: India for a year?

If you are visiting India then you shouldn't miss out to visit few of the places in Karnataka like Mangalore, Hampi, Dandeli, Bijapur to name few.

Last edited by Martinlois (5-25-2017 1:28 AM)

#17 6-28-2017 1:40 AM

ademararau
Ademar
Posts: 4

Re: India for a year?

Best places to travel in India are: Kerala, Tamil nadu, Himanchal Pradesh, Coorg, Karnataka, Coorg , Bangalore, Varanasi, Delhi, Agra, Rajasthan, Jaipur, Udaipur, Jaisalmer, Amritsar.

#18 7-10-2017 4:26 AM

Nihargupta

Re: India for a year?

place that dont miss to travel when you are visiting to India are Manali, Agra, Goa , Mumbai, Jaipur, Shimla, Ooty, Dargeeling ,Amritsar ,Jaisalmer, Kerala.

Last edited by Nihargupta (7-10-2017 4:27 AM)

#19 7-10-2017 9:41 AM

Ranchero
Award: Vox Populi II
Wanderer
Posts: 353

Re: India for a year?

From the title I assume that you want to spend an entire year in India?

I think you could spend an entire week (or more) at specific destinations.

But I would worry about traveling with a small child (especially to India: there's a lot of filth, epidemics, weather and climate hard to bear).

Perhaps you spread out your itinerary and visit multiple Asian countries (a year is a very long time) and you'd still get to spend multiple months in India!

Just because with that long time you could also add: Thailand, Bali/Indonesia, Nepal, Bhutan, Myanmar, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, Malaysia, Singapore, Hong Kong, Macau.

These all cling very interesting to me

#20 7-10-2017 10:41 AM

jethanad
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi III
Nomad
Posts: 579

Re: India for a year?

Good luck with your plans.  Having lived in India for 29 years then settling in US, I can say that India is not for every one, especially because of hygiene, health-care, red-tape and corruption.

OTOH I met an expat in Pokhara, Nepal who spent his  time living in India and travelling to other other SE countries, he seemed very satisfied with his life.

Last edited by jethanad (7-10-2017 10:43 AM)

#21 8-2-2017 5:58 AM

Nihargupta

Re: India for a year?

India is a large country with large diversity with different languages, culture, climate, food etc and many other things from place to place. You will surely love to stay here and will definitely be spending a great time and will surely be willing to come back again.

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer