#1 6-29-2017 8:20 AM

esvobod
Eva
Prague, Czech Republic
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi I
Tourist

Everglades National park in July - mosquitos?

Hello,
we will be in Florida end of July and we are thinking to go for one day to Everglades National park. I am a little bit aware how will be the situation with mosquitos there. Is recomendalbe to go there or not?
Thanks.
Eva

#2 6-29-2017 11:18 AM

vulindlela
Jeremy
Indianapolis, Indiana
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter

Re: Everglades National park in July - mosquitos?

We visited the park in July of 2012, and the mosquitos were horrible!
The worst I have ever experienced.  Very aggressive too.
The worst place for them was in the restrooms.
I highly recommend a repellent of some sort.
Even with this, I would visit.  It is a very nice place in my opinion.

Last edited by vulindlela (6-29-2017 11:19 AM)

#3 6-29-2017 6:56 PM

grandmar
RosalieAnn
Leonardtown, Maryland
Award: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

The mosquitos WILL be bad.  You need to wear long sleeves, long pants and repellent.  And also stay out of areas where there is no breeze.  Out on the water or the open trails it won't be as bad but stay out of the mangroves.

The Anhinga trail near the entrance is a good one (but not the Gumbo Limbo Trail), or you can go down to Flamingo and go out on one of the boat tours (but stay away from the canals).  Or go over to the Shark Valley section which is more west of the Tamiami trail

Last edited by grandmar (6-29-2017 7:04 PM)

#4 6-30-2017 5:07 AM

kvom
Kirk
Cumming, Georgia
Award: Photographer IAward: Writer IAward: Vox Populi IV
Explorer

Shark Valley is a good choice for a short visit in my view.

#5 6-30-2017 6:48 AM

grandmar
RosalieAnn
Leonardtown, Maryland
Award: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

esvobod wrote:

Hello,
we will be in Florida end of July and we are thinking to go for one day to Everglades National park. I am a little bit aware how will be the situation with mosquitos there. Is recomendalbe to go there or not?
Thanks.
Eva

Yes I think you should go, but be aware that the summer is the off-season for Everglades visits.  In the winter when it is dry (and thus less mosquitoes), water is collected in depressions  and low places and the rest of the glades are dry.  So all the animals, alligators, birds, fish, turtles etc are also crammed into the small sloughs which have the water.  That makes those low places a good place for visitors to see a lot of animals at once. 

In the summer, when there is plenty of rain, the animals will be more spread out as they don't need to hunt and drink in the small depressions.  But  when there is more water, you can better observe the 'river of grass'

There are no airboat tours in the actual national park, but you can take one from some of the Indians if you want to do that.  Be aware that it is very noisy so it isn't that much of a animal watching experience.

#6 7-8-2017 2:56 PM

katzgar
Award: Vox Populi II
Wanderer

should you be further north there is an option at   https://www.evergladesholidaypark.com/  the gator boys (tv show) rescue operates out of this park.  The Seminoles also have a tourism site   https://gatorpark.com/hours_rates.php

#7 7-18-2017 12:29 PM

AlfaMac
Alfph
Couch Potato

I would make sure to pickup a few cans of OFF and wear appropriate clothing. Don't let a few mosquitos prevent your trip. It's a beautiful place!

#8 7-26-2017 1:15 AM

drubenj
Couch Potato

It is mosquito season so wear proper clothing and put a handkerchief around your mouth.

#9 7-27-2017 9:23 AM

gingerbatik
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IVAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

I was there in June 2014 and the mosquitos was really bad. We had our body and clothings spray with the mosquitos and insects repellent but the mosquitos still attacking us.

Do not walk on the grass and follow the foot path. Some areas are okay but others really bad.
We still had good experience despite the mosquitos.

#10 7-27-2017 11:55 AM

grandmar
RosalieAnn
Leonardtown, Maryland
Wanderer

Also be careful getting in and out of the car not to let them in with you.  Keep the car windows shut

Board footer