#1 7-22-2017 9:23 AM

Meezerman
Nathan
Phoenix, Arizona
Award: Photographer IAward: Writer II
Couch Potato

Misplaced cities

I just signed up and started my first blog on this site. When I put in Toyama, Japan, it shows on the map as being in Okinawa. I tried changing to the nearby city of Takaoka, which also shows as being in Okinawa. Finally, I picked Namerikawa, and it shows up in the right place on the map.

What's going on? Is this a common problem? I'm not going to stick with the site if it misplaces half the cities.

#2 7-22-2017 10:58 AM

FK27
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

Re: Misplaced cities

Meezerman wrote:

What's going on? Is this a common problem? I'm not going to stick with the site if it misplaces half the cities.

Yes, it is a common problem, also in Germany. Whenever there are two cities with the same name, the smaller one may be chosen automatically.
Freiburg im Breisgau is a well-known and well-visited city in Southern Germany.
Freiburg, Germany is a less-known and less-visited little town in Northern Germany.

Last edited by FK27 (7-22-2017 1:26 PM)

#3 7-22-2017 3:38 PM

spocklogic
Brian
Poquoson, Virginia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

Re: Misplaced cities

There's a couple problems, duplicate names as mentioned and coordinates. The coordinates for some places have been incorrectly added to the site by members (not following proper directions) and/or bad coordinates pulled from the the internet. In any case it's not strictly the fault of the site, but bad resource coordinates or blunders by members adding places.

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer