#1 10-30-2016 8:12 PM

bsamantha828
Couch Potato
Posts: 1

GoPro, Drone, or something else?

Hi, there!

My name is Sam and I am a 25yo traveler, also aspiring to become a travel blogger. So I've been wondering back and forth as to what to get for my travels. I currently have an iPhone to accompany me and I love it because I can just point and shoot. However, I'd love to take my photography to a whole new level which is why I've been reading a lot about drones. I even came across this wonderful site that talks endlessly about drones, even for beginners.

But then, I also saw GoPros and now I'm confused. I've been reading a lot of articles but I'd also love to hear it from you guys. Can you please give me any advice? Perhaps recommendations on what drone to get, if ever?

Thanks a big bunch.

Sam XO

 

#2 11-2-2016 1:06 AM

EEEhehehe
AljaĆŸ
Vipolze, Slovenia
Sightseer
Posts: 70

Re: GoPro, Drone, or something else?

In my opinion if you want to make good pictures than you should get a good professional photo camera. I have a Gopro, yes you can make some nice selfies with landscape or buildings , since it has a very wide angle, or some nice pics underwater, but forget to make some great pics of landscapes/nature.. maybe if you plan to video blog than yes, its small and light and resistant in all conditions. In my opinion Gopro is made for action, sports, etc.. not for stationary photos.

Be carefull with drones since in many places they dont allow them to fly (recently ive been in Scotland-Edinburg castle and in Iceland - most sites, they were not allowed). So you might want to blog about a waterfall in Iceland and your drone will not be able to take off.. (you can fly with special permits, not sure how much works is to get them).

At the end what counts is your ideas and passion about discovering and blogging, so maybe you start with some equipment and then change through time..

 

#3 11-2-2016 3:48 AM

sarahelaine
Sarah Elaine
Manchester, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IVAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter
Posts: 5954

Re: GoPro, Drone, or something else?

Each nation sets their own laws for drones. In the U.K. It looks like you need permission from the civil air authority to fly them within 50m of a building, for example, and other permissions for certain types of land. Finding out if you need permission involves navigating a government website, which is bloody torture at the best of times. A friend's dad has the licenses etc for it but that's how he makes his living.  And we aren't the only nation with restrictions. Also, whatever you bring, you're going to have to carry it, any spare batteries, chargers or fuel, etc. Personally that's all sounding like it goes in the "a lot of fuss for most trips" category. I think the logical next step from an iPhone might be a better camera rather than a drone. If you search this forum there are some long, very informative threads about cameras ("what's your photography equipment" or something like that).

 

#4 11-3-2016 4:32 PM

niradcan
Darin
Saskatoon, Canada
Award: Vox Populi II
Wanderer
Posts: 253

Re: GoPro, Drone, or something else?

A good drone that carries a camera is too large for traveling IMHO.  Get a good SLR camera if you want good pictures.  I would image most travel bloggers do some post processing of images for their blogs.  Everyone has their personal preference for camera brands.  I would suggest taking a short course on photography.  There are tons of travel bloggers already, you will not "make it" if you do put a lot of effort into your photography.

 

#5 12-29-2016 10:00 AM

themojito
Couch Potato
Posts: 6

Re: GoPro, Drone, or something else?

You can also check some Chinese sites for drones,they have a lot,but lottt smile Cheaper but good. Also, similar stuff like goPro wink

 

#6 1-19-2017 11:52 PM

utech143
Couch Potato
Posts: 1

Re: GoPro, Drone, or something else?

bsamantha828 wrote:

Hi, there!

My name is Sam and I am a 25yo traveler, also aspiring to become a travel blogger. So I've been wondering back and forth as to what to get for my travels. I currently have an iPhone to accompany me and I love it because I can just point and shoot. However, I'd love to take my photography to a whole new level which is why I've been reading a lot about drones. I even came across this wonderful site that talks endlessly about drones, even for beginners.

But then, I also saw GoPros and now I'm confused. I've been reading a lot of articles but I'd also love to hear it from you guys. Can you please give me any advice? Perhaps recommendations on what drone to get, if ever?

Thanks a big bunch.

Sam XO

try DJI phantom 4.. and dont forget to put at least a GPS tracking device on it to keep it lost.. im using Trackimo 3G GPS device on my drone though..but you can search for more brands on google that suits you best smile

 

#7 1-30-2017 9:44 AM

travmavalexis
San Francisco, California
Couch Potato
Posts: 30

Re: GoPro, Drone, or something else?

I agree with Niradcan. Drones are bulky to travel with. SLR is great, but you need to know how to use them to get the most out of them. I'd recommend getting some high-quality accessories for your phone first. You can get some lens, apps, and tools that can take you images to the next level! Just a suggestion smile

 

#8 1-30-2017 1:00 PM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad
Posts: 828

Re: GoPro, Drone, or something else?

Be careful with drones, in some places drones is not appreciated. Gopro is good for underwater photography. Your phone or regular camera is best thing for travel if you want to take a lot of photos

 

#9 1-30-2017 1:06 PM

Darfsteller
Das
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Award: Community LeaderAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi III
Nomad
Posts: 501

Re: GoPro, Drone, or something else?

Could be some worry about batteries. Security often ask about lithium batteries, so if drone runs on that, then get a safety/fireproof bag for storing the batteries.

 

#10 3-18-2017 9:01 AM

jhulian
Toronto, Canada
Award: Happy Happy Happy
Couch Potato
Posts: 46

Re: GoPro, Drone, or something else?

I just bought myself an sjcam action camera. Its very similar with a go pro but a lot less pricey, less than half the price actually.

 

#11 3-20-2017 11:24 PM

jacobi
Bendigo, Australia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi I
Tourist
Posts: 170

Re: GoPro, Drone, or something else?

EEEhehehe wrote:

In my opinion if you want to make good pictures than you should get a good professional photo camera. I have a Gopro, yes you can make some nice selfies with landscape or buildings , since it has a very wide angle, or some nice pics underwater, but forget to make some great pics of landscapes/nature.. maybe if you plan to video blog than yes, its small and light and resistant in all conditions. In my opinion Gopro is made for action, sports, etc.. not for stationary photos. Be carefull with drones since in many places they dont allow them to fly (recently ive been in Scotland-Edinburg castle and in Iceland - most sites, they were not allowed). So you might want to blog about a waterfall in Iceland and your drone will not be able to take off.. (you can fly with special permits, not sure how much works is to get them). At the end what counts is your ideas and passion about discovering and blogging, so maybe you start with some equipment and then change through time..

I couldn't agree more with your response.

 

#12 5-4-2017 2:06 AM

tadcaster2014
San Francisco, California
Couch Potato
Posts: 8

Re: GoPro, Drone, or something else?

jhulian wrote:

I just bought myself an sjcam action camera. Its very similar with a go pro but a lot less pricey, less than half the price actually.

Yeah I bought the same one and would defo recommend

 

#13 5-4-2017 3:01 AM

TravelingChris
Chris
Pemberton, New Jersey
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi I
Tourist
Posts: 111

Re: GoPro, Drone, or something else?

This is a tough question that largely depends on what you want to do.

Drones - My observation is that most professional travel vloggers do indeed have drones. They take fantastic video, however you need to spend at least $500 USD otherwise it's lightweight, crappy, and will probably be blown into a tree and break. A decent one also entails a backpack that will weigh about 4 Kg, so it's a bit bulky to travel or hike with.

DSLR cameras - take great photos, but expensive and heavy. Hard to take on long or strenuous hikes.

Go Pros - small and lightweight, not terribly expensive, waterproof, but not the best photo/video quality.

So there are always pros and cons of each. Most pro vloggers have all 3. I personally just have my Canon DSLR that I invested in and I like it, but it's not easy to take on strenuous hikes. It also takes up a lot of space in my carry-on. So for anything strenuous I just use my iPhone 7... at least its specs are getting better with each new edition. I would love to get a drone, I just don't want to lug around the 10lb backpack through the airports and on hikes. I usually try not to check a bag... this would make me have to.

 

#14 5-4-2017 6:46 AM

milestx
Miles
Austin, Texas
Sightseer
Posts: 70

Re: GoPro, Drone, or something else?

Just a small warning about drones: The higher you go (over 5 meters / 15 ft.), the stronger the wind is. I had a quadcopter that I flew too high, and the last visual contact I had, it was sailing away fast. Never could find it.

 

#15 5-24-2017 2:35 AM

tropicalboop
Couch Potato
Posts: 1

Re: GoPro, Drone, or something else?

utech143 wrote:

bsamantha828 wrote:

Hi, there!

My name is Sam and I am a 25yo traveler, also aspiring to become a travel blogger. So I've been wondering back and forth as to what to get for my travels. I currently have an iPhone to accompany me and I love it because I can just point and shoot. However, I'd love to take my photography to a whole new level which is why I've been reading a lot about drones. I even came across this wonderful site that talks endlessly about drones, even for beginners.

But then, I also saw GoPros and now I'm confused. I've been reading a lot of articles but I'd also love to hear it from you guys. Can you please give me any advice? Perhaps recommendations on what drone to get, if ever?

Thanks a big bunch.

Sam XO

try DJI phantom 4.. and dont forget to put at least a GPS tracking device on it to keep it lost.. im using Trackimo 3G GPS device on my drone though..but you can search for more brands on google that suits you best smile

I too have tried using this kind of device, they're pretty small and can fit into luggage bags and i've seen people print mounts for drones specifically for them.

 

#16 5-24-2017 3:44 AM

stefmuts
Stefanie
Neerpelt, Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer
Posts: 1316

Re: GoPro, Drone, or something else?

Make sure you know the rules if using a drone, not flying near airports is a logical one but in many places it's not allowed to fly over private property, there can be altitude limits and I even heard of plans introducing a certificate to be allowed to fly them at all

 

#17 6-21-2017 10:45 AM

rolfasp22
Rolf
Melbourne, Australia
Couch Potato
Posts: 15

Re: GoPro, Drone, or something else?

bsamantha828 wrote:

Hi, there!

My name is Sam and I am a 25yo traveler, also aspiring to become a travel blogger. So I've been wondering back and forth as to what to get for my travels. I currently have an iPhone to accompany me and I love it because I can just point and shoot. However, I'd love to take my photography to a whole new level which is why I've been reading a lot about drones. I even came across this wonderful site that talks endlessly about drones, even for beginners.

But then, I also saw GoPros and now I'm confused. I've been reading a lot of articles but I'd also love to hear it from you guys. Can you please give me any advice? Perhaps recommendations on what drone to get, if ever?

Thanks a big bunch.

Sam XO

Go with go pro first and familiarize your self with it.
Drones

 

#18 7-12-2017 3:41 AM

drubenj
Couch Potato
Posts: 11

Re: GoPro, Drone, or something else?

I have a GoPro and I can say that pic/video quality is really good.

 
This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer

Powered by PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB