#1 6-15-2017 9:58 PM

Princeton, New Jersey
Award: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi I
Posts: 114

Things to do in Lima and Cusco, Peru

I'll be in Lima on Sunday and Monday and Cusco for 4 days after that. Anything I must see and do while there? Machu Picchu is already on the itinerary but I'm looking for travel tips in these 2 cities. Thanks

#2 6-18-2017 1:03 PM

Re: Things to do in Lima and Cusco, Peru

My suggestion is that you stop off in the small town of Ollantaytambo on the way back from Machu Picchu - it's a tiny station which serves a town that still has the same layout as it did in Inca times.  The ruins are breathtaking, and we enjoyed the fact that it was much less crowded than either Cusco or Machu Picchu.  It also has the distinction of being close to the location where Manco Inca won a rare victory over the invading Spanish forces (by diverting water from the terraces onto a plain).  We stayed overnight, and really enjoyed the atmosphere of wandering around in the late evening and early morning.
Four days may sound like a lot in Cusco, but plan to take things easy for at least the first day in order to acclimatise to the altitude - it's impossible to predict how it will affect you, but those who react badly can be absolutely poleaxed.  It isn't such a problem in Machu Picchu, which (perhaps unexpectedly) is almost 1000m lower than Cusco.

#3 6-21-2017 1:01 AM

Ranchero
Award: Vox Populi II
Posts: 342

Re: Things to do in Lima and Cusco, Peru

Stay 4-5 days in Cusco and take 2-3 tours to nearby attractions.

Put these on your list:
1) Pisac (ancient ruins)
2) the Moray terraces (peculiar round agricultural terraces near the village with the same name)
3) the Salinas (not far from Moray): salt is being extracted and washed here
4) scenic views are also around the towns are Urubamba, Calca and they are somewhat quieter than Ollantaytambo
5) Sacsayhuaman is at the edge of Cusco, don't forget to visit the ancient ruins
6) Chinchero is another village/town that you could visit - mostly for itself, nothing very interesting there, so only visit if you've checked all of the above

Take a bus tour and you can do most of these in one day.

If I were you, I'd also stay at a town: Yucay, Urubamba are among the best places. There are a few good hotels there. You can enjoy the fresh air and the traditional atmosphere.

#4 6-21-2017 7:16 AM

Ranchero wrote:

Stay 4-5 days in Cusco and take 2-3 tours to nearby attractions.

Put these on your list:
1) Pisac (ancient ruins)
3) the Salinas (not far from Moray): salt is being extracted and washed here

Take a bus tour and you can do most of these in one day.

These are all fabulous suggestions.
In particular, the terraced depressions at Moray (which are actually sinkholes caused by washout of the salt-bearing rock below) and the salinas (which is where the salty water daylights and is evaporated in terraces) are utterly amazing.

#5 7-6-2017 11:58 AM

Ranchero
Award: Vox Populi II
Posts: 342

^
Thanks!

I think the Cusco-Sacred Valley area is a stunning place and, one could easily spend 7-10 days there. It is recommended to stay a few days there to get used to the climate. One just can't fly in and out in 2-3 days, as a large number of people can't get used to the atmospheric conditions. After all, 2,500-3,000 m heights can be nerve-wrecking, exhausting.

#6 7-7-2017 5:06 AM

kvom
Kirk
Cumming, Georgia
Award: Photographer IAward: Writer IAward: Vox Populi IV
Explorer
Posts: 3287

Re: Things to do in Lima and Cusco, Peru

I found it interesting to visit the covered market in Cuzco, not far from the main square.  Lots of little stands selling food for breakfast.

In Lima we visited the center of town for the cathedral and presidential palace, plus some time in Miraflores.  I would have gone to the Gold Museum if we'd had the time.

#7 7-7-2017 8:33 AM

kvom wrote:

We loved Miraflores, and I was so surprised how much we enjoyed Lima in general (which seems to be very underrated as a destination, rather than as a transit point).
When we visited (several years ago), the Gold Museum was a bit of a disappointment - not because of the content (which was mind-blowingly wonderful) - but rather that the presentation didn't do justice to the quality of the material.  I'd love to know whether it has changed.

#8 7-10-2017 6:01 AM

stefmuts
Stefanie
Neerpelt, Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer
Posts: 1313

Re: Things to do in Lima and Cusco, Peru

From Lima you can do a trip to the Ballestas islands for some bird watching, from Machu Picchu the train goes to Ollantaytambo, this town has a pretty nice Inca ruin, when you walk from the station to the town center it's on your left. If you want to see pics look at my Peru blog (input: (No) Inca trail)

#9 7-10-2017 8:15 AM

stefmuts wrote:

From Lima you can do a trip to the Ballestas islands for some bird watching

I would so have liked to have visited those islands - we saw and did so much, but in hindsight, I'd have happily traded a couple of days in Manu for this.  Was it worth it, stefmuts?

#10 7-10-2017 5:59 PM

grandmar
RosalieAnn
Leonardtown, Maryland
Posts: 430

Re: Things to do in Lima and Cusco, Peru

In Lima, I would want to visit the Cathedral square and particularly the  Larco Museum.  The museum is housed in an 18th-century vice-royal building built over a 7th-century pre-Columbian pyramid. It showcases chronological galleries that provide a thorough overview of 4,000 years of Peruvian pre-Columbian history. It is well known for its gallery of pre-Columbian erotic pottery.  The Larco Museum now lends some of its collection to its daughter museum, the Museo de Arte Precolombino (Pre-Columbian Art Museum), located in Cusco, Peru.

Also this is really the best place to see the silver and gold jewelry from Pre-Columbian Peru.  It is authentic and carefully curated (unlike the Gold Museum which much of the material is fake and which is not displayed in any kind of order)

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer