#1 3-13-2016 2:15 PM

spocklogic
Brian
Poquoson, Virginia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

TravBuddy User Guide

Whether a new or seasoned member, check out the TravBuddy User Guide I have made here:

TravBuddy - 101: The Definitive Guide

This blog covers all the basics of the TravBuddy website as a tutorial about the site itself, learning your way around and utilizing its potential for sharing your travels. There are 10 parts in total:

1.) Introduction
2.) You signed up - what now?
3.) Who's Who on TravBuddy
4.) TravBuddy Operations & Members
5.) TravBuddy Awards
6.) TravBuddy Forums
7.) Writing Reviews on TravBuddy
8.) Writing Blogs on TravBuddy
9.) Posting Photos & Videos on TravBuddy
10.) TravBuddy Daily Features

A future blog (TravBuddy - 102 or TravBuddy - 201] will cover some other more advanced features, various additional points of interest, tips and tricks. These would include such topics as how to back up your blogs, add a location to TravBuddy using the coordinates map, creating/using lists and more. Some of these have been briefly covered in the Spocklogic's Travel Topics blog in the TravBuddy Tips entry, but will be covered in more detail in the future blog. For now, I hope everyone finds the TravBuddy -101 blog a handy and useful resource.

\\// ~Spocklogic

#2 3-13-2016 7:21 PM

monkeymia79
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Tourist

Re: TravBuddy User Guide

Thank you Brian, this was very helpful for me when I first joined here and I am sure others will find it useful too.

#3 3-14-2016 4:58 PM

fransglobal
Francis
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter

That's great Brian. Thanks.

I've made this a sticky...smile

#4 6-6-2016 3:01 AM

shaginhekvs
Keshav
Montpellier, France
Couch Potato

very useful blog. Thanks !

#5 6-10-2016 11:34 PM

spocklogic
Brian
Poquoson, Virginia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

Glad to hear you found it useful, Keshav, and hope it serves you well as a guide to the TravBuddy site smile

#6 12-30-2016 12:28 AM

spocklogic
Brian
Poquoson, Virginia
Explorer

This is the followup guide to TravBuddy 101 and check out a second TravBuddy Guide I have made here:

TravBuddy - 102: The Advanced Guide

TravBuddy 102, is meant to be a tutorial covering more advanced topics, but beginners may benefit from it too.There are 10 parts in total:

1.) Introduction
2.) Backing up reviews and blogs?
3.) TravBuddy add location map
4.) Adding photos to a forum post
5.) Creating Lists
6.) Adding Videos to Blogs
7.) Fighting Spam
8.) Privacy Settings
9.) Travel Related Photos
10.) Did You Know?

I hope everyone finds the TravBuddy -102 blog a handy and useful resource building on the first tutorial guide of TravBuddy - 101.

\\// ~Spocklogic

#7 1-20-2017 11:55 PM

E_equals_MC2
Bangladesh
Couch Potato

Thanks Spocklogic (Brian) for your wonderful and informative post. Was unsure about joining this site until a few hours ago. Not having found any reliable reviews or articles in my google search, was on the verge of calling it a night when I stumbled upon your post.

Joined up and can't wait to share my travels with the community but more importantly, to communicate with fellow travelers and get some expert opinions on travelling to certain places which are nearly impossible to get otherwise. Looking forward to reading more of your work and hope to run into you someday while travelling. Thanks again for the great post. smile

Last edited by E_equals_MC2 (1-20-2017 11:55 PM)

#8 1-28-2017 12:17 PM

Kathrin_E
Kathrin
Karlsruhe, Germany
Award: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

Very useful! Thank you Brian!

#9 4-18-2017 6:43 PM

spocklogic
Brian
Poquoson, Virginia
Explorer

Kathrin_E wrote:

Very useful! Thank you Brian!

You're welcome, Kathrin, and pleased to hear you have found the guides useful!

#10 7-10-2017 4:01 PM

spocklogic
Brian
Poquoson, Virginia
Explorer

Helpful Hints Beyond the Guides - TravBuddy Guide Pages

TravBuddy has so-called "Travel Guide" pages for locations around the world, like for certain cities where you can view Blogs, Photos, Hotels, Things to Do, Restaurants and such.

Some members may notice that certain blog entries do not appear in the list of blogs under a given Travel Guide page. The reason for this has to do with the length of the blog entry. A rule of thumb may be that if you have enough text in the blog entry to initiate the appearance of two photos, then the blog entry will appear in the overviews, otherwise it may not. If no photos are in the blog entry then about 20 lines of text may be needed, and not necessarily full lines are needed either (I think).

So, even if an entry satisfies the character/word limit to count towards the Writer award, it still may not be long enough for listing in the travel overviews. This is based on observation. Perhaps this is some motivation to extend narratives in blog entries if you want them to appear in the destination overviews. This would apply mostly to those that have only one photo initiated in the entry layout, or with less than 20 lines of text.

Last edited by spocklogic (10-8-2017 2:20 PM)

#11 10-7-2017 11:11 PM

spocklogic
Brian
Poquoson, Virginia
Explorer

Helpful Hints Beyond the Guides - MHHR Award Misfires

Occasionally the MHHR Award has misfired on TravBuddy and no members were given the award despite being on the points board. There were 3 instances of this in 2016, but none I have seen in 2017 so far. On Observing the previous misfires, I noticed that they happened in weeks when no hotel reviews were posted until Thursday/Friday time frame of the week. I am unsure what happens if none are posted by Tuesday or Wednesday, but missing Monday seems ok.

Conclusion: If no hotel reviews are posted in the first few days of the week, any posted after that will still show up in the MHHR leader board, but an MHHR may not be awarded.

Last edited by spocklogic (10-8-2017 2:29 PM)

#12 11-26-2017 2:20 PM

spocklogic
Brian
Poquoson, Virginia
Explorer

Helpful Hints Beyond the Guides - Ambassador Award Advice

Thought I would share some experience with the Ambassador award. My initial attempts to get family/friends to join the site were not successful, mainly because I think people didn't respond to the generic group emails I tried. So, I started to personalize my attempts in appealing to certain people one-by-one who might be likely to sign up and be interested in the site. Part of this appeal was just to say 'give it a try' and if its not for you then nothing lost. I would explain a bit about what TravBuddy has to offer and especially point out some difference with Facebook and why TravBuddy has some advantages there. The TB / FB difference is important to point out I think. I would also point out that joining the site would grant people smile/comment privileges on my travel material. Members can also view more photos at a time than nonmembers (who have a bandwidth limit). This was all not totally self-serving and I genuinely wanted my friends/family to interact with my travels on TB, at least a little anyway. Well it takes some time to work on people, but they can be persuaded, even if just being polite by doing so. I would close my appeals by telling people to be sure to use the link I give them (which contains user id) for the reason that we would automatically be added as friends that way. Most people follow this advice when I put it like that.

In the end, the motivation is to share your TravBuddy experience and encourage family/friends to check it out by joining and interact a little, not simply to just get the award. The award is extra if it comes, but the real pleasure is seeing family/friends join and check it out, even though they probably won't become power users. I have offered all this advice to other TB members and it has been fairly successful for them. Hope it is helpful to you as you are just one awards short of the cycle for EH!

Ambassador award may be more than just inviting people to join, but about the power of persuasion...

Board footer