#1 6-30-2017 4:50 AM

ela01
ela
London, England
Couch Potato

Benin and Togo

Im going for two weeks total to these countries.
Has anyone been?  Any recommendations?
Ela

#2 6-30-2017 5:16 AM

ulis
Uli
Vienna, Austria
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

Re: Benin and Togo

Have been there Christmas/New Year 2011/2012, that trip was quite limited because my travel companion got his credit card blocked. Coming from Nigeria (where the problem started), Porto Novo was a nice and relaxing town, Cotonou was a bit to hectic for my taste, Lome was fine (the credit card problem was solved there after 2 weeks!). There is a excellent museum the Musée international du Golfe de Guinee http://www.togo-tourisme.com/culture/musees http://miriampanigel.blog.lemonde.fr/20 … de-guinee/
and Chez Alice, in Avepozo12 km east of Lome on the main road to Benin was a nice place to stay, with a good restaurant and wifi, Swiss owned, but nothing fancy (not Chez Alize!).
As far as know, Togo still has visa on arrival but Benin not anymore. And tell your bank card / credit card company where you go!

Last edited by ulis (6-30-2017 5:19 AM)

#3 6-30-2017 7:31 AM

Apurva_N
Apurva
New Delhi, India
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

ulis wrote:

Chez Alice, in Avepozo12 km east of Lome on the main road to Benin was a nice place to stay, with a good restaurant and wifi, Swiss owned, but nothing fancy (not Chez Alize!).
As far as know, Togo still has visa on arrival but Benin not anymore. !

Thanks, Uli. As you know, I'm headed there too and might use your tip on Chez Alice.

Strange that I heard the same about Togo/Benin visas, but the embassies here in Delhi are giving me the opposite information, i.e. the Benin visa is available on arrival but I must take the Togo visa here. My own sense is that both may be available on arrival.

#4 6-30-2017 12:53 PM

ulis
Uli
Vienna, Austria
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

Apurva_N wrote:

ulis wrote:

Chez Alice, in Avepozo12 km east of Lome on the main road to Benin was a nice place to stay, with a good restaurant and wifi, Swiss owned, but nothing fancy (not Chez Alize!).
As far as know, Togo still has visa on arrival but Benin not anymore. !

Thanks, Uli. As you know, I'm headed there too and might use your tip on Chez Alice.

Strange that I heard the same about Togo/Benin visas, but the embassies here in Delhi are giving me the opposite information, i.e. the Benin visa is available on arrival but I must take the Togo visa here. My own sense is that both may be available on arrival.

From Thorntree:

I was in Accra 3 weeks ago. If you arrive at the The Benin embassy at 9:30am you can collect your visa same day around 2pm. They do require copy of hotel booking for at least 2 nights at hotels in Benin. I stayed at the Djegba hotel in Ouidah before pushing on to Abomey via Cotonou. Cotonou is big and brash, Ouidah is nice and slow.
and:
Use Nima Tours & it can be done in under an hour ... cheap but friendly (Kira)
and:
you already done your travel in West Africa (Ghana, Benin, Togo) ? if not i advise you to get Ghana Visa first in your country, for Togo you can get the visa at the border for one week and after extend for free if you want. For Benin in Togo in you apply today you will get the visa tomorrow. Let me know about your plan i'm CEO of tourism agency In Togo, Benin and Ghana.
want to read you soon (VuAfrik)

But if you live in New Dehli get it there, always more easy in your own country (unfortunately very few African embassies in Vienna) and of course visa rules can change overnight.

Last edited by ulis (6-30-2017 12:54 PM)

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer