#601 6-12-2017 5:15 PM

vances
Vance
Dayton, Ohio
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

Re: What are you reading RIGHT NOW?

diisha392 wrote:

We visited Lawnfield for Father's Day last year!

Take him back next week and head for Lakeview Cemetery --> Garfield and his wife are interred at the Garfield Memorial there...a splendid monument which you can climb and enjoy amazing views of downtown Cleveland!

smile

#602 6-14-2017 5:35 AM

rolfasp22
Rolf
Melbourne, Australia
Couch Potato

Da Vinci Code after reading Angels and Demon.

#603 6-21-2017 11:42 AM

LiselotteB
Liselotte
Miami, Florida
Couch Potato

The Metamorphosis
By Franz Kafka

Enjoying it first dive. smile

#604 6-29-2017 10:31 AM

GeorgeLeach
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IV
Explorer

Reflections on the Revolution in France by Edmund Burke.

Just finished Voltaire's Treatise on Tolerance.

#605 7-15-2017 8:46 PM

vances
Vance
Dayton, Ohio
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

I suspect this may not technically qualify as worthy of being posted into a 'travel' forum on books, but it does touch upon our fascination and is rather brilliant.  Enjoying "The Dog of the South" by Charles Portis and wow!  A splendidly humorous ramble through Central America with so many veiled references to subjects hither and yon.

Not entirely certain the fun translates into every culture, but I have enjoyed far too many chuckles to resist passing along a recommendation...plan on reading his other offerings.

smile

#606 7-31-2017 11:52 AM

ilikeitlikethat
Bobby
Soho London, United Kingdom
Award: Vox Populi I
Tourist

I'm reading Dracula by Bram Stoker

I'm reading it going, Piccadilly, yup! Know it, Liverpool Street, yup, know it, Amsterdam, yup, know it Haarlam - Heard of it (thank you Van Helsing)!
but when they took the Underground from Liverpool Street (to somewhere, forget where, probably knew it) I was like...
Hang on, this story is old. . .
- but then of course, so is the London Underground and tbh, we still do that today!

Dracula was written by an Irishman living and working in London called Bram Stoker.
In London, he was inspired by his friends from Transylvania (The Romanian's who keep Nigel Farage up at night today *citation needed) and their folklore.

#607 8-8-2017 2:13 AM

MarionPQ
Marion
United Kingdom
Couch Potato

I am enjoying Remarque's Arc de Triumph, practicing my French:)

#608 9-2-2017 8:50 PM

vances
Vance
Dayton, Ohio
Wanderer

Mulling a venture to SA, so recently completed "Tree of Rivers: The Story of the Amazon" by John Hemming.  Presented as a chronological history, beginning sadly from the point in time when Western Europeans intervened, this is a bulky, but quite comprehensive history limited to regions of the Amazon, regardless of nationality.

Of course western intervention introduced tons of misery, a point which repeats again and again without diminish, right up to modern times (this was published in 2008).  However, I learned quite a lot and Hemming's expertise relates to indigenous culture, so the history is complemented by great insight into the natives, not to mention plenty of commentary around flora and fauna.  Not the easiest reading at times, but the broad scope was enlightening and I am glad I took the time to digest.

#609 9-4-2017 4:19 AM

evil_smiley
Philippines
Couch Potato

I'm currently reading The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. The last book I finished reading is China Rich Girl by Kewin Kwan and I'm not proud.

#610 9-4-2017 8:29 AM

NickelP
Nicole
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi IAward: Spambuster I
Tourist

vances wrote:

Mulling a venture to SA, so recently completed "Tree of Rivers: The Story of the Amazon" by John Hemming.  Presented as a chronological history, beginning sadly from the point in time when Western Europeans intervened, this is a bulky, but quite comprehensive history limited to regions of the Amazon, regardless of nationality.

Of course western intervention introduced tons of misery, a point which repeats again and again without diminish, right up to modern times (this was published in 2008).  However, I learned quite a lot and Hemming's expertise relates to indigenous culture, so the history is complemented by great insight into the natives, not to mention plenty of commentary around flora and fauna.  Not the easiest reading at times, but the broad scope was enlightening and I am glad I took the time to digest.

That sounds like a really good book. I've added it to my "To Read" list.

#611 9-4-2017 5:30 PM

diisha392
Meredith
Columbiana, Ohio
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

A Spool of Blue Thread by Anne Tyler for book club next week. So far I am really not enjoying it much. A Man Called Ove last month was much better!

#612 10-7-2017 9:00 PM

vances
Vance
Dayton, Ohio
Wanderer

delia2 wrote:

Just started "Speaker for the Dead"
by Orson Scott Card

A splendid book which I was turned on to from this forum --- if you scroll back a bit you can see Calvin (TRAVELDOC1084) recommended it for me.  Can only wish I possessed such a magnificent imagination.

smile

#613 10-8-2017 10:01 AM

diisha392
Meredith
Columbiana, Ohio
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

delia2 wrote:

Is it fine to read 3 books at the same time? Just wondering...

Totally smile  I was working on 3 books at the same time this weekend myself.

#614 10-9-2017 3:06 PM

Kathrin_E
Kathrin
Karlsruhe, Germany
Award: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

"Naturwunder Neuseeland" - a brand new German book on New Zealand's nature, written by a friend of mine. Excellent, as I can tell so far.

#615 10-25-2017 3:47 PM

LIFEISGRAND
Award: Happy Happy HappyAward: Ambassador
Couch Potato

'Around the World in 80 Days' by Jules Verne

#616 10-28-2017 4:20 AM

GeorgeLeach
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IV
Explorer

Hear the Wind Sing by Haruki Murakami

#617 10-29-2017 6:59 PM

diisha392
Meredith
Columbiana, Ohio
Wanderer

Circling the Sun, the next book club book!

#618 11-3-2017 3:01 PM

laurabry
Toronto, Canada
Couch Potato

The Girl on the Train

#619 11-4-2017 9:39 PM

vances
Vance
Dayton, Ohio
Wanderer

Wanted to share the latest read, because it honestly reverberates with travel. Heart of a Lion: A Lone Cat’s Walk Across America by William Stolzenburg traces the true trek of a cougar from South Dakota to Connecticut...ultimately ending as road kill.

My heart went out to this brave lion searching for a mate, because he traveled 2,000 linear miles (estimated 6,000 total) across a present day terrain inviting imminent demise (the journey ranged from 2010-12).  The author injects how important it is for large predators to be reintroduced into our environment, simultaneous with an engaging saga around an incredible journey.

sad

Last edited by vances (11-4-2017 9:41 PM)

#620 11-6-2017 8:18 AM

Dymphna
Lee Ann
Montana, United States
Award: Vox Populi I
Tourist

Woods of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson - again... the 3rd book comes out on the 14th, so want to be fresh as to what has happened. Love anything by Sanderson.

#621 11-11-2017 1:26 PM

cottonwood
Loren
Sun Valley, Idaho
Couch Potato

Patrick Mcmanus....."A Fine and Pleasant Misery". Funny as ever. I need humor.

#622 11-23-2017 3:52 PM

wingandfly
Couch Potato

I have  Where'd You Go, Bernadette?

#623 12-1-2017 9:01 AM

planxty
Fergy
London, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Tourist

I am currently reading Forgotten Voices of World War II edited by Max Arthur and is one of a series which draws on the oral history resources of the Imperial War Museum in London.  I have already read Dunkirk and the Secret War, both of which were excellent.  It is amazing to read accounts given by people who were actually there.

#624 Yesterday 3:00 PM

Sigun
Couch Potato

The Great Railway Bazaar, by Paul Theroux

Board footer