#1 4-26-2017 10:07 PM

sarahjayne87
Award: Community LeaderAward: Critic IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster I

Cuba

Hey guys

First time to Cuba in June

Any recommendations?

I have nothing booked or planned other than my flight into Cuba so all information would be amazing

#2 4-26-2017 11:00 PM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Posts: 960

Re: Cuba

You have all in one place in Cuba- kilometers of long beaches, beautiful colonial cities and lavish population..............Havana is real a gem with historical and colonial buildings.............Varadero you have the crystal clear sea ...........Trinidad is one of my favourite city of Cuba, a picturesque piece of Cuba that has managed to keep its authentic charm....... Vinales, the world's best tobacco is grown which is then processed into quality viewers. The valley has been listed as UNESCO World Heritage.............The area around Baracoa is famous for its beautiful nature

#3 4-27-2017 4:58 AM

Apurva_N
Apurva
New Delhi, India
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer
Posts: 389

Re: Cuba

Firstly, Cuba in itself is a great choice - amazing place.
Havana, of course - you can't do Cuba without it. Lots to do, see, smoke, eat, and drink there. Check out Hemingway's haunts there, walk along the Malecón, check out its street bookshops and cafes, and indulge in the Mojitos and cigars, even if you are not much of a drinker or smoker.
Trinidad is a favourite for me too. Great atmosphere. Enroute, I'd recommend a stop at Cienfuegos.
Varadero is a bit touristy but the beaches are great. But two places near it that I highly recommend are Matanzas and Cardenas - they are about the authentic, non-touristy, feel of daily Cuban life.
I haven't been to Santiago, but heard good things about it too.

#4 5-2-2017 12:18 AM

Batam, Indonesia
Award: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)

Re: Cuba

SJ, how long is your trip?  What country passport / credit cards do you have?

I traveled around on my own for over 3 weeks last summer.  I updated my blog here on TravBuddy if you are curious to see some of your options.  Granted, I more than get buy in Spanish, but that may be the biggest challenge if you want to explore more off the path - or if you don't want to be taken advantage of when paying 'tourist' price.

First and foremost : try to get some pesos and don't rely solely on CUC.  Your money will go so much further if you can get pesos and then you can get a more authentic feel of the street life

second: print (or screen shot) the bus schedules before you arrive to Cuba.  Yes, there are some places you can get connected if you have to.  But those are not always cheap nor convenient.  I can't count how many people took pictures of my bus time tables along the way

third:  I'd suggest a map such as Galileo.  It works on your phone with GPS and does not need signal.  Download the map before you go, play with it for a day to get the feel, and it could really help when navigating around.  Once you arrive, you can put your phone into airplane mode, and have battery to power the map for days.

#5 5-5-2017 2:27 AM

pfsmalo
Paul
Saint Malo, France
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 144

Re: Cuba

I certainly go along with a visit to Havana, Viñales and my favourite Trinidad. Apart from beaches there is really nothing at all in Varadero, there are plenty of other places for beaches. If you are into the "Che" the monument, mausoleum and museum are well worth visiting in Santa Clara, and free!!! Cienfuegos is worth a day too, plus from there go up into the Topes de Collante (sp?) mountains for the El Nicho waterfall in a beautiful setting.

#6 5-6-2017 8:33 PM

#7 5-8-2017 1:18 AM

I will be travelling on a UK passport and my partner has an Aussi passport

Once you read it, if you have other and/or more specific questions, just let me know.

Well, since you have Australian credit cards, you can always use those in a pinch to get more cash from the larger banks or use those if you opt for the nicer hotels/resorts/restaurants.  However, if you are traveling with any cash, sorry to say, but Australian dollars are not officially recognized in Cuba.  I'd suggest getting GPB or EUR in advance if you can.  I however as example have all American issued cards and passports, so for me, it was a cash-only trip which added a few logistics to the plan.

#8 5-10-2017 4:02 AM

crainandrea22
Andrea
Mumbai, India
Couch Potato
Posts: 2

Re: Cuba

I have visited Cuba, and would love to visit again. There are so many things to do in Cuba. The country is very beautiful and energetic. I did plan the places and things to do, but Cuba surprised me many times. You will find really good places to stay there at a very affordable rate. Here are my top picks of places and things to do in Cuba:

1. Stay up all night on The Malecón.
2. Visit University of Havana.
3. See live music - everywhere.
4. Feast on delicious street food.
5. Wander and admire the architecture in Vedado.
6. See Interactivo perform.
7. Learn salsa at club 1830.
8. Hang out in Plaza Vieja.
9. Take a bus to Baracoa.
10. See a dance show at Teatro Nacional.
11. Take in the sunset from El Morro.
12. Hike the highest point on the island of Cuba: Pico Turquino.
13. Head to Varadero and hit the beach.
14. Eat dinner at La Guarida.
15. Spend a day in Trinidad.
16. Visit Ernest Hemingway's house, Finca Vigía.
17. Go to a baseball game at Estadio Latinoamericano.
18. Visit the Museo de la Revolución.

Happy Journey smile

#9 5-15-2017 9:50 PM

Loved your blog, thank you for that

I have a few questions, you mentioned taking print screens of the buses. Im assuming Cuba is pretty laid back and I don't need to pre book any of this, is that correct?

#10 5-19-2017 7:16 AM

I will be travelling on a UK passport and my partner has an Aussi passport

No, you don't 'need' to prebook any of the buses.  However I do still recommend just logging on to the Viazul web site before you go and screen capture some of the schedules.  For busy routes, there may be a half dozen buses per day and if you don't prebook, and just have some bad luck that all seats are full, you'll just be put on the waiting list.  Maybe you'll get on, or maybe only have to wait a couple hours.  However, some of the longer journeys and/or less traveled places may only have one bus per day.  If you arrive a few minutes late or if it is a holiday, you 'may' have to wait a full day.  It may be piece of mind to know the schedules in advance even if it is just for a bit of logistical planning.

#11 5-20-2017 5:05 AM

DaveSwede wrote:

I have my print screens smile

Im assuming its a bit like any where else, just turn up to a booking agent and they will book all my buses

#12 5-23-2017 7:53 AM

Re: Cuba

Maybe some of the fancy hotels will book for you.  Or possibly some of the really accommodating owners of the casa particulars would call for you.  But I suspect that you will have to go to the Azul office directly.  If there are booking agents, I can't say I ever came across one.

#13 6-5-2017 4:07 AM

gomesal1
Allen
Goa, India
Couch Potato
Posts: 10

Re: Cuba

Hello, nice to hear you are going to Cuba. It is really a nice place, good choice.

My advice to you would be probably you should first start preparing for your itinerary and book hotels. You can never be sure if you are going to find a decent hotel. You don’t want to search for hotels after going there instead investing your time in sightseeing.

As per my suggestion you can follow the below listed itinerary.
Vinales
Las Terrazas
Havana
Trinidad
Cayo Coco
Santiago de Cuba
Baracoa
Also when are you going out in June?

Happy Journey BTW

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer