#1 5-20-2017 9:57 PM

Melbourne, Australia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 210

Having trouble deciding next trip

I am trying to decide on next trip, I have 6 weeks, and I have about 9 weeks to plan from now. The problem I have with places I want to visit is I need to get visas, and also the flights are pretty expensive and long to both the places I want to go.

So my trips are.

I was thinking of going to Brazil, and stay 6 weeks, I also wanted to go to Paraguay, and North part of South America at one point but need more time to do this, maybe i should quit my job next year and do all of it in one go. I am reading a lot of places to visit in Brazil.

The other trip I was thinking was going to Belarus, and travelling overland to Ukraine, then onward to Moldova. I been to the other countries surrounding and most of Europe. Only a few small countries I have missed in Europe so far. If I do this I have pretty much done all of east europe. I might also try to go to music festival I been to Sziget, I would not mind going again even Budapest has nice vibe. I would also like to see Normandy in France so I might combine something else for a week. I guess If I travel here next year if I quit my job I can add greenland and some places like Iran or nearby middle east. Also maybe try to travel the tiny countries i never got to see in europe.

Other then that I always wanted to go to Greenland, or South Korea but I feel like South Korea I can do another time. Greenland would be cool though, but i think its not best time of year to visit.

Also I am working bartender in Melbourne, so for me job is just a job, i can get rehired if I left a year I been at my job for 3 years now and I am good worker there and they let me take a month off when i want its not big problem. so I thought next year if my flat contract expires i could just go travel between while not paying rent. this trip i am renting my place still.

#2 5-21-2017 2:59 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Nomad
Posts: 960

Re: Having trouble deciding next trip

A tough choice, but only you can decided where you want to go : South America is cheap, Europe is expensive.

Last edited by shavy (5-21-2017 3:00 AM)

#3 5-21-2017 6:12 AM

grandmar
RosalieAnn
Leonardtown, Maryland
Wanderer
Posts: 460

Re: Having trouble deciding next trip

It's a big challenge to figure out someplace for you to go because you have done a lot of traveling.  But I see that you have not done much in the Caribbean.  So how about Cuba? Or the ABC islands (Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao) Or the Virgin Islands?  I don't think you need a visa for either of those places and there's good diving there.  In the VI you could even charter a sailboat which has scuba equipment.

#4 5-21-2017 10:30 AM

ulis
Uli
Vienna, Austria
Wanderer
Posts: 426

Re: Having trouble deciding next trip

Ukraine is very interesting and probably the cheapest place in Europe, Moldavia / Transnistria is interesting these countries have easy visa (no visa for many but visa for Australians) , Belarus has a new visa free regulation, but only fly in and out and 5 days and some more restrictions, otherwise the visa is complicated and expensive.
Brasil is of course interesting and easy to combine with northern South America but Venezuela is at the moment not safe. With the airfare from Australia not cheap.
I don't think you want to spend 4 weeks in Greenland, you can make short trips from Island or Kopenhagen or by Cruise ship, all of this is expensive.

#5 5-21-2017 5:36 PM

planxty
Fergy
London, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 167

Re: Having trouble deciding next trip

1it is very difficult to say as I don't know what your interests are but if you are looking at South America I would definitely recommend Ecuador.  I know it is a very long time since I was there but I thoroughly enjoyed it and you have the benefit of coast, mountains and "selva" (rainforest) all within a relatively small area which is reasonaby served by public transport.  I spent a month there but with your timeframe you could trot over to one of the adjacent countries as well.

Hope this assists,

Posts: 1

come and visit brunei...

#7 5-22-2017 9:38 PM

Re: Having trouble deciding next trip

Thanks for replies, I have been to Brunei and Ecuador before. The Caribbeans I would rather do at another time in my life, maybe more time I would combine that with Brazil.

I guess I am confused I feel like Brazil is complicated like trying to fit too much in at once *only places I have left to visit is the west and north side of South America I did other countries. The flights are expensive between countries and only cheap for domestic flights in Brazil.  I have to probably get return flight to Rio, I would want to cross in Paraguay but I have to cross border, get a visa before I go there, and then backtrack and fly from bottom brazil to Amazon, then I would want to cross border to Venezuela, and do 1 week hike, then do angel falls which is another flight from a city, then i would go back to Brazil and travel down coast for rest of days. Otherwise I could remove some places. I found flights for $1700 return

Best I also found was $1650 return to minsk belarus and fly out of Moldova back to Australia, I would like to try and go music festival if I do this trip. Looking at doing Budapest music festival again I did it once before was great fun otherwise I can maybe try and find one in Ukraine maybe easier.

Maybe after more reading and writing down a plan for each I can pick one trip.

#8 5-23-2017 1:30 PM

stefaniegreen
Stefanie
Jamestown, Pennsylvania
Award: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: Spambuster I
Sightseer
Posts: 65

Re: Having trouble deciding next trip

Throw a dart at a map and there is next destination

#9 5-23-2017 2:57 PM

Re: Having trouble deciding next trip

I picked East Europe, because 2 reasons, i want to go to some music festivals, and i want to do brazil when i have more then 6 weeks and can go to side countries. Thanks for help people.

#10 5-24-2017 1:17 AM

nolan
Explorer
Posts: 3784

Re: Having trouble deciding next trip

East Europe is a good choice. Not yet as overrun by mass market tourists and the cost of living is quite reasonable. I plan to visit that region sometime as well, within the next couple of years.

There is quite a swath of countries that you can visit there, and probably include the Balkans and the Caucasus, plus the smaller Baltic cities. Six weeks is quite a lot of time but you can spend longer days in places which you happen to like once you get there.

Re Brazil, might be better to fly eastward instead of westward. Thus, head off to Chile via Auckland, then further east to Argentina, and then finally Brazil. On your way back you can make stops in the USA, Mexico and Central America before going back to OZ. That trip alone would probably need 2-3 months or even more.

#11 5-24-2017 5:22 AM

CMTinPHX
Christopher
Phoenix, Arizona
Award: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi I
Posts: 121

Re: Having trouble deciding next trip

I've never heard anything visit-worthy about Greenland.

I could see going to Kiev but I'd probably get deported for punching Russians in the face.

At your level of experience, maybe "Where?" should give way to "What?" "Why?" and "With whom?"   #jealous

#12 5-25-2017 6:42 AM

harbinger
Cathy
Brussels, Belgium
Award: Vox Populi I
Posts: 167

Re: Having trouble deciding next trip

There aren't many gaps on your world map - with which I am seriously impressed - but given your interests, Madagascar remains curiously blank?
It would seem to fit the bill in terms of your interest in water sports and intrepid travel, and - unlike most other tourists - you have the luxury of time which would allow you to travel relatively inexpensively.
In terms of culture, landscape and wildlife, there is literally nowhere like it on earth, and unfortunately the window of opportunity is limited as population pressure is a ticking clock for ecosystem destruction.

#13 5-30-2017 2:21 PM

Re: Having trouble deciding next trip

After a few days after booking flights, i think i should of booked into budapest, gone to the sziget festival, then traveled across north romania which i have no been, then did my orginal trip. But its a bit late now to change my plans, I can still do north romania I guess, but i really think i should of done sziget festival i did 2 days like 4 years ago and it was so fun, i think i should of did my first week there just camping and seeing the bands and enjoying festival and city with the bathhouses.

#14 6-2-2017 11:36 PM

AbhiGarg
Abhi
India
Couch Potato
Posts: 4

Re: Having trouble deciding next trip

This always happen to me after achieving some goals. What should be the next step and a road trip to visit a new place and explore some new places.

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer