#1 2-27-2017 3:46 PM

tktheworldtraveler
Brooklyn, New York
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Tourist
Posts: 159

Help me pack!

What is a good item/brand for condensing your clothes. I like to just travel with 1 carry-on bag or a large back pack. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

#2 2-27-2017 7:18 PM

kvom
Kirk
Cumming, Georgia
Award: Photographer IAward: Writer IAward: Vox Populi IV
Posts: 3300

Re: Help me pack!

Take fewer would be the best remedy/

#3 2-27-2017 8:22 PM

Re: Help me pack!

Yep.  Any sort of vacuum pack relies on you finding a vacuum at the other end of your trip, which is a pain. Rolling rather than folding saves space and packing cubes can stop things being crumpled (although they work better in a case than a pack). Your best bet really is travel light in the first place- minimal gadgets, e-reader for books, as few clothes as possible and accept some things will need washed on the way.

#4 2-27-2017 10:37 PM

Kathrin_E
Kathrin
Karlsruhe, Germany
Award: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 273

Re: Help me pack!

These vacuum packs reduce space but not weight, so they do not solve the problem. More and more airlines have become strict concerning the weight of hand luggage. Packing light is indeed the only remedy.

#5 2-27-2017 11:14 PM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Nomad
Posts: 962

Re: Help me pack!

Take only a few,  most hotel has laundry service. I mostly do my handwash in the evening.....pack light fabrics  is easy to dry.

#6 2-28-2017 6:45 AM

Re: Help me pack!

A lot of packing advice depends on whether you are male or female.  For men, Rick Steves seems to have good advice.  I could tell you what I would do, but unless you wear a dress it wouldn't work so well for you. smile

It also depends a bit on where you are going.  If you are going to a cold climate your clothes will usually be more bulky.  If you are going to change temperatures on the course of a trip (going from hot to cold) it will increase the problem.  In this case, when I am traveling, to reduce the luggage space I wear the bulkiest items - the clunkiest shoes, and the thickest clothing.

For hot weather places, 100% cotton works better (and is cooler) than synthetics, but don't take clothes made of denim especially to hot places - takes too long to dry and is hot.

#7 2-28-2017 8:57 AM

niradcan
Darin
Saskatoon, Canada
Award: Vox Populi II
Posts: 253

Re: Help me pack!

Ziploc selling bags for compressing clothes.  you lay clothes in flat and roll up to evacuate air then zip it closed.  they work reasonably well.  I use them and a medium compression bag.  works well for me.

#8 2-28-2017 9:04 AM

niradcan
Darin
Saskatoon, Canada
Award: Vox Populi II
Posts: 253

grandmar wrote:

There are good synthetics now that wick away moisture which also aids in cooling.  Ex. Adidas Climacool. They are generally less bulky than cotton.

#9 2-28-2017 12:07 PM

Solomatrix
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 2362

Re: Help me pack!

I just wear the same clothes for the entire trip. Spent 2 months in Europe wearing same pants and shirt every day lol
Just washed underwear, socks, and base layer shirt every day in the sink and they tried overnight (all synthetic fast drying/moisture wicking/no odor)

#10 3-1-2017 3:46 AM

sanfoodie
Sanjeev
Award: Happy Happy Happy
Sightseer
Posts: 51

niradcan wrote:

grandmar wrote:

I fully agree, these Adidas Climacool gets less wrinkles  than cotton so no need to get them iron, does not soak sweat as in the case of cotton and easy to wash. As far as look is concerned definitely cotton has upper hand.

#11 3-1-2017 8:05 AM

Re: Help me pack!

Since I always look like I have been ridden hard and put away wet I think more about comfort than looks.  When I was younger, I once took my nylon dress (which was dark blue because that color shows dirt less) off in the train bathroom and washed it out in the sink, wrung it dry using paper towels to soak up the moisture, put it back on, and stood in the corridor until it dried.

My husband wears khakis (or at least he did - now that he's 80, he seems to have defaulted to jeans and the only thing to distinguish between working in the yard and going out to dinner is what kind of shirt he wears)

#12 3-1-2017 8:28 AM

grandmar wrote:

At home, mine's the same and he's 38. Abroad he wears poly-cotton hiking trousers, in various shades of roughly the same colour as the stains are likely to be. To be honest so do I. There are people who go on holiday with their finery and look elegant, and there are people who look permanently creased and want the freedom to fall in a river getting off a water taxi and not worry about ruining their clothes, and I am very mulch in the latter camp!  I am stealing "put away wet" (I suspect "ridden hard" will cause too many raised eyebrows in the UK)!

#13 3-2-2017 9:30 PM

Sept922
Award: Community LeaderAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster I
Posts: 1673

Re: Help me pack!

Convertible pants are good. Zip off to shorts. Any place in the states like REI or Cabelas sells light weight fabrics for outdoors that are good for travel. Unfortunately I always overpack because I can't usually buy clothes overseas to well due to a large frame. Luckily on my next trip I have friends places to store stuff as I go about on day trips.

#14 3-3-2017 6:23 AM

srosvold
Shawn
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Couch Potato
Posts: 14

Re: Help me pack!

I just got back from 11 days in Panama and Peru. I took only a backpack that would fit under the seat because I wasn't sure what Copa and Avianca would allow for carry-on, and I did not want to check a bag, or have to pay for a carry-on. It turns out that I didn't have to worry. But it was a great way to pack only the necessities. I took four pairs of socks, four underwear, four t-shirts, one long sleeve shirt, a pair of hiking shoes, a pair of shorts, a pair of long pants, a clothesline, a portable, collapsible, dual voltage kettle and Starbucks instant coffee (I can't function without coffee), a power strip to plug all my stuff into, a power converter and adapters, my shaving kit, my mp3 player, and my Kindle. I also had a stuffable down jacket since I was coming from Colorado in the winter, and I needed it for Machu Picchu.

All my travel clothing is synthetic so that I can wash it and it will be dry in the morning. I love 32 Degrees clothing. https://www.32degrees.com/ Cotton takes too long to dry, especially in humid climates. It took forever for my clothes to dry in Cusco because the room I was in had rock walls which seemed to emit a lot of humidity. Weird! I use packing cubes to keep everything organized, and I roll everything to save space. My bag was 22 pounds/10 kg. There wasn't anything that I found that I was missing.

#15 5-25-2017 7:31 AM

EmiliaLacson
Emilia
Louisiana, Missouri
Couch Potato
Posts: 5

Re: Help me pack!

You may want to surf online how to fold your clothes that will surely fit on your carry on bag. Thus, only bring few clothes and make sure all important things and documents are your priorities because instances are you are so busy packing yet you forgot something important. You can still buy there your toiletries and other stuffs that you may need in your day to day basis.

#16 5-25-2017 11:52 AM

sarahelaine wrote:

It refers to riding a horse of course (as I'm sure you know).  If you don't sponge down a sweaty horse their hair will dry all over the place.

#17 5-28-2017 6:34 AM

tktheworldtraveler
Brooklyn, New York
Tourist
Posts: 159

Re: Help me pack!

Thanks for all the advice, I'll think about all of it!

#18 5-28-2017 7:26 AM

milestx
Miles
Austin, Texas
Sightseer
Posts: 85

sarahelaine wrote:

Here in Texas our grammar ain't so good, so we say "Rode hard and put up wet."  smile

#19 5-28-2017 11:38 AM

milestx wrote:

sarahelaine wrote:

Horses here are rarely encountered except amongst the rich, so few people know what happens to their hair of they're not cared for properly, and "ridden hard" would be taken to refer to matters which polite and respectable matrons like me (ahem) would not discuss wink.  Brits rather pride themselves on their dirty minds. Which is a shame because it is a gorgeous and very evocative phrase, as many americanisms are. "rode hard and put up wet" I might actually get away with here - just different enough where the dirty minds might not kick in straight away.

#20 5-28-2017 5:20 PM

milestx wrote:

grandmar wrote:

I think Rode Hard is probably more correct.  It was a catchphrase of Tennessee Ernie Ford, an American singer of the 1950s.

It's a description of a person who's tired out, comparing them to a horse having been ridden to exhaustion and then put into the station without having had the sweat and mud cleaned off. Apparently has also been put into song lyrics.

Well I feel like I been rode hard
And put up wet
Lord knows last night was a night
I'll never forget
I can't remember what happened
But it must have been the best one yet
I feel like I been rode hard
And put up wet

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer