#1 5-22-2017 9:33 AM

markj
Mark
Cagayan de Oro City, Philippines
Couch Potato
Posts: 17

Travel Map

Is anyone aware of some kind of app that would allow me to pin all the locations I plan on visiting in a large city so that I could view these places all at once relative to one another? This will help me create my itinerary, and hopefully work out a central place to book my accommodations.

I could buy a map, but being able to do this digitally and then print out the map would save tons of time. Thanks!

 

#2 5-22-2017 9:47 AM

emjaaay2
Award: Vox Populi I
Tourist
Posts: 103

Re: Travel Map

This is probably not what you are looking for... but here is a website that does something similar.

https://www.inspirock.com/

It would be cool to just make map view though.

 

#3 5-22-2017 12:18 PM

milestx
Miles
Austin, Texas
Sightseer
Posts: 85

Re: Travel Map

I think, but am not sure, that the Google Maps app for Android lets you pin several locations.

 

#4 5-23-2017 2:17 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad
Posts: 960

Re: Travel Map

Try if you can download to your phone - 'Here' - this works for us each time we travel. Driving or walking the maps do an excellent job, much better than google maps

 

#5 5-24-2017 6:18 AM

DaveSwede
Batam, Indonesia
Award: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Tourist
Posts: 161

Re: Travel Map

I've been using 'Galileo' on my phone for a couple years.  You can search the maps for pins and destinations already in the database, or you can add your own.  There is no limit to the pins.  And you can organize pins in different folders as you want.  Then the cool thing that you're looking for is if you simply take two fingers and touch the two locations you want, it will give you the exact distance between.  Or alternatively, you can turn on the 'bearing' on a particular pin and the map will tell you exactly which direction and distance you are away.

All of the above is based on iPhone.  I know some people who have used with Samsung and results may vary.  It is not a navigator, but it is an intelligent map.  If you know how to read a map, can find the blinking blue dot which is where you are, I see no reason why this would not work for you.

The app works off of your phone's GPS, so the content is downloaded in advance.    But this means you can use it off the grid with no signal and/or in airplane mode and/or in places like Cuba and still find where you are.

 

#6 6-23-2017 5:23 AM

markj
Mark
Cagayan de Oro City, Philippines
Couch Potato
Posts: 17

Re: Travel Map

Thanks for the great suggestions everyone! Will definitely try these out. smile

 

#7 6-23-2017 6:29 AM

ulis
Uli
Vienna, Austria
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer
Posts: 426

Re: Travel Map

On Google Maps you have "My Places", this is very easy to use on a laptop, not so easy (because of the screen size) but possible on Android and iPhone, it's also possible to share these maps.

 

#8 6-23-2017 6:59 AM

santos01
Couch Potato
Posts: 16

Re: Travel Map

Google Maps is perfect for this. You can totally personalise it and add notes and everything. Sounds like it'll fit the bill perfectly!

 

#9 6-23-2017 9:23 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad
Posts: 960

Re: Travel Map

santos01 wrote:

Google Maps is perfect for this. You can totally personalise it and add notes and everything. Sounds like it'll fit the bill perfectly!

I have google map app in my iphone, you need internet if you used it. While the app "HERE" you can use without internet

 

#10 6-23-2017 9:48 AM

NickelP
Nicole
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi IAward: Spambuster I
Tourist
Posts: 130

Re: Travel Map

shavy wrote:

santos01 wrote:

Google Maps is perfect for this. You can totally personalise it and add notes and everything. Sounds like it'll fit the bill perfectly!

I have google map app in my iphone, you need internet if you used it. While the app "HERE" you can use without internet

You actually don't need internet for Google maps. Either prior to leaving or when you have wifi, you can pin the places you want to go and download the map for offline use. Your GPS will work with the downloaded map even with no data or in airplane mode. Worked great for us roaming around Portland last weekend.

 

#11 6-23-2017 10:01 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad
Posts: 960

Re: Travel Map

NickelP wrote:

shavy wrote:

santos01 wrote:

Google Maps is perfect for this. You can totally personalise it and add notes and everything. Sounds like it'll fit the bill perfectly!

I have google map app in my iphone, you need internet if you used it. While the app "HERE" you can use without internet

You actually don't need internet for Google maps. Either prior to leaving or when you have wifi, you can pin the places you want to go and download the map for offline use. Your GPS will work with the downloaded map even with no data or in airplane mode. Worked great for us roaming around Portland last weekend.

I haven't try use google maps with no data. The other app Here works without mobile data for both driving or walking gps

 

#12 6-23-2017 5:04 PM

nolan
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer
Posts: 3785

Re: Travel Map

markj wrote:

Is anyone aware of some kind of app that would allow me to pin all the locations I plan on visiting in a large city so that I could view these places all at once relative to one another? This will help me create my itinerary, and hopefully work out a central place to book my accommodations.

I could buy a map, but being able to do this digitally and then print out the map would save tons of time. Thanks!

Google Maps is probably the broadest and one that is readily available for those on the web.

There's an app called TripBucket which is supposed to do most of what you asked for. I haven't been using it as much though, but it looks very promising as it can be shared on social media, and likely be printed if you know how to tweak some images onto a web page or PDF file (which I haven't figured out yet).

I also use Travefy to plan itineraries but it's more for a wider scale but they don't have a map printout feature yet.

 

#13 6-27-2017 12:18 AM

lailahuang
Shenzhen, China
Couch Potato
Posts: 6

Re: Travel Map

Map.me is a good app that you can use offline( without internet), you can pin all your destination, find out the ways to reach and distance, and it can monitor and guide you there

 

#14 7-16-2017 7:21 AM

kcbehnet
Kea Chang
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Couch Potato
Posts: 1

Re: Travel Map

I tried Maps.Me in many of my trips overseas. It is very user friendly. You can add book mark. I serves as GPS and with routing function. Hence I decided to share it in my English blog that newly created.
Because I am new here and cannot place the URLs link directly, please copy the address below in your browser and you can have the link to download the Apps too.

"tourplannerblog.blogspot.my/2017/07/my-favorite-offline-gps.html"

 

#15 9-25-2017 11:17 PM

MartinLTurner
Martin
Ohio, United States
Couch Potato
Posts: 4

Re: Travel Map

I 've seen some of the websites other than Google Maps who insist on providing one with the best ever options as they work on offline mode. Being new to this forum, I 'm unable to post links for the best websites that you can go through. Well, will come back shortly and put some really beneficial and working websites URL here for helping you guys.

 

#16 9-30-2017 4:28 PM

chefwar
Eshwar
Toronto, Canada
Couch Potato
Posts: 2

Re: Travel Map

'I found a website that does, you put fill all the info and it create and itinerary for you.  it is www.visitacity.com and yes it does have an app.  You can move items around, add your starting time and your hotel.  It is great way to plan your vacation.

 

Board footer

Powered by PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB