#1 5-17-2017 9:57 PM

fafafooooey
Thor
Princeton, New Jersey
Award: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi I
Tourist

Seeking Travel Tips for Peru

I'll be traveling through Peru in June. Lima, Cusco, Machu Picchu, hiking the Rainbow Mountains, visiting sites along the way from Cusco to Puno, and finally exploring Lake Titicaca, the Uros floating islands and Taquile Island. Any travel tips would be appreciated. How to avoid altitude sickness, what to bring, what to see, things to avoid, etc. Any tips would be would be appreciated. Thanks. No tours have been booked yet except Machu Picchu and the tour bus from Cusco to Puno.

#2 5-17-2017 11:06 PM

stefmuts
Stefanie
Neerpelt, Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

Re: Seeking Travel Tips for Peru

Try sandboarding at Huacachina near Ica if it fits your schedule and I really enjoyed Nazca (flight over the Nazca lines and the tour with the rasta mummies; Chaucilla Cemetery), near Lima ballestas islands if you like bird watching (and seals), area Cosco just pick any inca site, they are all great!
What to bring depends on when you go?
To avoid altitude sickness it´s best to steadily get used to the altitude so take your time, but even then some people get sick anyway, you won´t know until you tried.
Things to avoid; the usual, food safety, pickpockets.
And try to avoid children carrying baby animals (it's a begging trick)

#3 5-17-2017 11:42 PM

ulis
Uli
Vienna, Austria
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

Altitude as above, and (not legal in most countries but legal in Peru and Bolivia) Agua / Mate de Coca (tea made from the Coca leaves, get it in a coffee house)

#4 5-18-2017 9:18 AM

ItchyForTravel
Award: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

The places in Peru I liked best was Cusco and its surrounding area like the small towns and ruins in sacred valley, and Muchu Picchu (but too crowded).  I like the city of Arequipa too. Lake Titicaca, not so much, too touristy.
As for high altitude, spending two to three days in Cusco can help to get used to it, and coca leave tea worked for me well.

#5 5-20-2017 7:31 PM

fafafooooey
Thor
Princeton, New Jersey
Award: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi I
Tourist

I will have to try this coca leaf tea then I guess. Thanks everyone for the tips.

#6 5-21-2017 11:09 AM

ulis
Uli
Vienna, Austria
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

It worked for me in Bolivia, in case the Altitude sickness hits you heavy take the next available plane to a low altitude.
When I was in Tibet a young German bicycle tourist got it and died, my girlfriend got it, we took the next bus to Nepal (plane was not available then) and she had 3 weeks later still problems (altitudes in Tibet are higher, I got only some bad headache, but it's unpredictable what you get)

#7 5-21-2017 5:24 PM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad

fafafooooey wrote:

I will have to try this coca leaf tea then I guess. Thanks everyone for the tips.

The coca leaf really helps altitude sickness, I had tried the coca leaf while in Ecuador and Chile and is also available in candies. The leaf has a weird taste

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer