#1 2-8-2017 10:50 AM

Spailpin_Fanach
Brian
Dublin, Ireland
Couch Potato

Train Backbone from China to Istanbul via Central Asia

Hi

I'm trying to finalise my trip from China back home to Dublin from Oct to Dec 2017.

My intention is to travel by train and see as much as possible over a 3 month period. I'm ok with shortish bus journeys and ferries but train will be my preferred mode of transport.

I'm trying to get a backbone journey that'll take in as much as possible and I don't mind how much it zigzags. My plan is to stop off and spend the night in many places and plan trips from a base containing a train station.

I'm intending to travel from Urumqi and then West to Istanbul through as many countries as possible and spending a day or two in many places.

Can you recommend a source of information. I tried Seat61 but would like more detailed itineraries, if possible. Maybe a trip, or partial trip, someone else did.

Thanks

Brian

#2 3-13-2017 6:59 PM

ulis
Uli
Vienna, Austria
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

Re: Train Backbone from China to Istanbul via Central Asia

First sort out possible visa problems, particularly Turkmenistan, Iran, Aserbeidshan this is a good site: http://caravanistan.com/visa
For Turkmenistan and Iran a transit visa (5 days?) might be more easy.
There are boats/ferries from Kasachstan and Turkmenistan to Aserbeidshan these are not very reliable and you should not use them from Turkmenistan because the visa complications.
Trains in Usbekistan are good in Kasachstan alright, the border crossing from China might be more easy by bus. Can't tell you if Turkmenistan has border-crossings passenger trains to Iran. To Bishkek from with a bit of a detour from Kasachstan, to Tadschikistan maybe with a big detour from Uzbekistan. Iran to Turkey yes, to Aserbeidshan the line will be soon finished, passengers? Aserbeidshan to Georgia yes, on to Turkey the line is not finished but Turkish rail already ordered sleeping cars.

#3 3-16-2017 6:00 AM

nyk_flashpacker
nyk
Award: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi I
Tourist

check on the border controls, some type of visas might only be valid on some entry points. especially if you are eligible for visa on arrival or similar arrangements

#4 5-16-2017 7:27 AM

Spailpin_Fanach
Brian
Dublin, Ireland
Couch Potato

Thanks for this

#5 5-16-2017 7:28 AM

Spailpin_Fanach
Brian
Dublin, Ireland
Couch Potato

Thanks for this.

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer