#1 3-28-2017 3:18 PM

planxty
Fergy
London, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 145

More of the same about luggge!

I realise this is very similar to question recently asked by I_ris although different in some significant respects.

I need to buy a case that is "cabin compliant".  I have been researching online and one travel website stated (and I quote), "There is no one standard carry on luggage size. Each airline comes up with their own restrictions on size, weight, and number of items allowed in the cabin".  The more I read the more confused I am getting as I would obviously like to get the largest one permissable

Further, I shall only be using it within Europe and I was wondering if there is not some EU regulation standardising the matter.  Let's be honest, the regulate everything else.  I'll only be getting a cheapo so it is not the money I am worried about but I just don't want to turn up at an airport one day and be turned away because my bag is one inch too big or, as is more likely to happen, be charged an exorbitant fee for putting it in the hold.

Thanking you all in advance for any light you may be able to shine on this rather murky subject!

#2 3-28-2017 4:34 PM

Re: More of the same about luggge!

I sincerely doubt that there is a consensus on this, and even if there was, it could change tomorrow.  Personally what I carry is a small computer bag which will go under the seat (although I usually put it in the ovrehead) and a pocketbook, and I wear a coat that I can put stuff in the pockets.  I have a 'carry-on' sized bag which I check because I always have to check my scooter anyway.  In my computer bag I have the travel information and my medications in addition to the computer.

If I wanted to be on the safe side, I would look at what the airlines I was most likely to use have as the dimensions that they accept and use whatever airlines dimensions were the smallest.  I wouldn't use the largest dimensions unless I was a gambler or knew I could rely on charm to get the gate agent to let me through with an oversized bag.

#3 3-28-2017 6:43 PM

Re: More of the same about luggge!

There are usually two references to cabin sized luggage - that of the continental USA (which is 22" x 14" x 9") and the smaller international cabin size.

Here is an article about cabin size regulations getting smaller although they didn't push through it it as a whole, although individual airlines have varying regulations. So it is best to check with all the airlines in your itinerary to know which you should bring.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/583761 … wide-rules

And here is a compilation of the cabin size dimensions allowed on various airlines:

https://www.skyscanner.net/news/cabin-l … strictions

#4 3-28-2017 11:19 PM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Nomad
Posts: 828

Re: More of the same about luggge!

Fregy, if your luggage not bigger than  55- 40-20 that is acceptable in all airlines either by budget or regular airlines. Travelling within Europe I prefer to have carry on luggage only, and if you flying with Ryanair and Easyjet checkin luggage is not really cheap and they are very strickly when it comes to the size of hand luggage, so far my luggage never been refuse at the airport or to any airlines, I travel with it around the world smile

Last edited by shavy (3-28-2017 11:45 PM)

#5 3-29-2017 4:53 AM

stefmuts
Stefanie
Neerpelt, Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 1316

Re: More of the same about luggge!

'There is no one standard carry on luggage size' that's true but they are not much apart in sizes and if you keep it in the range of the majority (use Nolans skyscanner link) you're not likely to have problems, I never had my cabin Luggage beiing measured or weight so if it looks ok they probably won't bother.

#6 3-29-2017 5:13 AM

jacobi
Bendigo, Australia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi I
Posts: 170

Re: More of the same about luggge!

I like to have my camera with me all the time, so I have a camera back pack that is roomy enough for other personal belongings and a change of clothes and I always store it under the seat. The way people clamber to put their luggage in the overhead compartments and then clamber to pull them out upon landing totally dissuades me from stowing mine up there too.

#7 3-29-2017 5:36 AM

sarahelaine
Sarah Elaine
Manchester, England
Globetrotter
Posts: 5953

Re: More of the same about luggge!

I'd just check Ryanair- they are the only airline I've seen routinely check dimensions. But it's worth checking before each time you fly because requirements change and some airlines charge even for carry on- last time I flew whizzair (at least I think it was whizzair- it was when I flew krakow-Gdansk) it was actually cheaper to check a lcarry on bag in than take it on the plane.

#8 3-29-2017 5:52 AM

Black_wind
Martina
Bratislava, Slovakia
Couch Potato
Posts: 25

Re: More of the same about luggge!

Wizzair free carry on is 42 x 32 x 25 cm (or less,of course)

#9 3-29-2017 7:00 AM

Re: More of the same about luggge!

I was once on a Qantas flight where they checked not only the dimensions, but the weight of the carry-ons. There were people all over the lounge re-distributing their stuff so it would pass. But I agree that most of the time they don't check.

The problem with having only a carry-on is that everyone else also wants to avoid checked baggage so the carry-ons get bigger and fatter and more bloated.  And the wheels on the wheelie bags often stick out past the main outline of the bag and don't fit well into the overhead.

Dan I think younger men have the advantage in this respect as a) they don't need as many shoes as women b) their clothes are less complicated (no one says to a man - hey you wore those jeans yesterday and if anyone did say that the man wouldn't care) c) a younger person can carry the bag without wheels so the bag can be squishier and lighter

#10 3-29-2017 9:28 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Nomad
Posts: 828

grandmar wrote:

I flown with Qantas to Sydney three years ago from London Heathrow, I haven't noticed check of weight or dimensions of hand luggage. Delta, American and United airlines in Brussels are strictly with hand luggage, at check-in counter there is a baggage sizer for carry-on, if doesn't fit in there we have to checked our hand carry. I think it depends on the airport

#11 3-29-2017 11:57 AM

planxty
Fergy
London, England
Posts: 145

Re: More of the same about luggge!

Thank you all so very much for your helpful responses.

I think I shall err on the side of caution and go for 42 x 32 x 25 or even a fraction less.  I know Wizzair are a cheapo airline, as I have found out to my cost before, so they will probably have the smallest allowance.  I refuse to fly Ryanair, Easyjet or Wizzair any more as I have had very bad experiences with all three so if I go for that size it should be acceptable on a proper airline hopefully.

Thanks again.

#12 3-29-2017 7:34 PM

Re: More of the same about luggge!

Cabin baggage is also a major reason why I prefer to fly on twin aisle wide bodied planes (A330 family, A380, Boeing 747, 767, 777) instead of single aisle narrow bodied planes (737, A320 family and turboprops). With two aisles you have more baggage space on two additional sides even for a row that is 10 abreast - compare that with just two sides for a 6 abreast seating arrangement on the most common A320 or B737 flights.

I have experienced situations where I normally pay for the seat (first row, favorite seat 1A), and I don't always get priority boarding (buying a preferred seat doesn't always get you to get on the plane first unless you're disabled or accompanying an infant or very young child). The baggage space above your seat is already filled up by the time you enter the plane (because as a front row passenger, it doesn't make much difference if you arrive last).

I personally have witnessed many times people bringing more than 3 items (oversized carry on suitcase or backpack, then laptop bag or handbag, plus a plastic bag of duty free items bought, sometimes two), that it makes sense that these people who abuse the cabin baggage policy be checked and made to pay if they are way over the limit. AirAsia is strictly implementing that in Asia, as has Jetstar for quite some time. Asians are generally non-confrontational, thus some people get away with bigger than usual bags instead of getting called out, unlike European airlines.

In one instance, our plane had to be rescheduled for takeoff on the longer runway in Busan (PUS), all because it was heavier by 400 kgs. and despite there being only about 160 passengers (out of 180), I could easily say that many had more than 3 kg beyond the 7 kg cabin baggage allowance. There was even a woman who had bought a whole box of instant noodles at Duty Free and the airline staff had to repack them in two huge plastic bags - she should have been made to pay for the space she took away from the other passengers on the overhead bins.

#13 3-30-2017 7:11 AM

Re: More of the same about luggge!

Slightly OT but I prefer not to sit in the first row because sometimes there are items that belong to the plane (oxygen cannisters/ first aid kit) that take up the space in the overhead over that seat.  ALso that seat is at a bulkhead and there is no space to put something under the seat in front of you.

The other thing is - people that get on first stick their carryons in the first free compartment they come to and fill up those compartments so the people that board later have no space over their seat and have to put their stuff 'behind' where they sit.  Then when it comes time to get off they have to swim upstream to get to their stuff.

#14 3-30-2017 7:29 AM

sarahelaine
Sarah Elaine
Manchester, England
Globetrotter
Posts: 5953

grandmar wrote:

This is where it starts being worth a little extra money to travel on the less-budget airlines. not every time, but sometimes for an extra £20 or so I'd rather travel on a flag carrier with a baggage allowance. Budget airlines are worse times of day and a whole bunch of stressed out people fighting over the overhead compartments, then sometimes a long transfer from an obscure airport. Pay a little more, and I can check in my bag, and sit with my book whilst everyone else fights upstream, gets their carry on bag, and gets off. Then I stroll off with my book, and by the time I've cleared passport control my bag is often waiting for me on the carousel (if not, another chapter gets read. Stroll out of the airport to a more convenient transfer feeling altogether less crumpled. I wouldn't pay hundreds extra but often there is not that big a difference in price. And I've never exceeded a checked baggage allowance because I can't physically lift a 20kg bag!

#15 3-30-2017 7:00 PM

TravelingChris
Chris
Pemberton, New Jersey
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi I
Posts: 111

grandmar wrote:

I can attest that every domestic flight I took in Australia on Jetstar (Qantas' subsidiary), they brought a darn scale to the gate and weighed everybody's carry-on. I think their limit was 7 kg. Needless to say I learned quickly that I would have to adjust my travel style in Australia. I normally ranger-roll all of my clothes and also have packing cubes which help to cram stuff, so while my carry-on pack meets dimensions, it can weigh upwards of 15 kg.

#16 3-30-2017 11:47 PM

TravelingChris wrote:

grandmar wrote:

Yes, Jetstar is known to do that. In Narita they first weighed our carry-on at the check-in counter, then tagged each and every one of them. Since there were five of us our 35 kg for everything (handcarry and personal item) just fit perfectly fine. Halfway through the process in Osaka for our international flight, they made the announcement to almost everyone NOT to buy too much at Duty Free. Yet there were always those hard headed and inconsiderate passengers, so the Jetstar staff set up 3 weighing scales at the boarding gate. I wonder how many were forced to pay to check in their overweight hand carry, but deep inside me I was chuckling that the airline finally got back at those who would abuse their cabin baggage policy.

Oh and going back to the topic of luggage, if I travel with at least one other member of the family, we bring along a collapsible bag, whether it is another carry on bag, duffel or our Osprey Transporter 40 which can be collapsed and stuffed into its own top inside pocket. https://www.ospreypacks.com/us/en/produ … 0_521.html

Short YouTube video showing how it is removed from its inner pocket - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_sOY3xV93Y

#17 3-30-2017 11:47 PM

TravelingChris wrote:

#18 4-1-2017 12:45 AM

Sept922
Award: Community LeaderAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster I
Posts: 1647

Re: More of the same about luggge!

What about large backpacks and plane travel...like 60-70 liter packs? anyone? I haven't had a problem in the past but these days.......

Last edited by Sept922 (4-1-2017 12:46 AM)

#19 4-1-2017 2:11 AM

Sept922 wrote:

70 liters and below isn't a problem. Especially if you have travel backpacks that allow the straps to be hidden in a zippered compartment. That way the straps won't snag on the conveyor belt.

If you fill a 70 liter pack to capacity, you're talking of between 40-50 lbs. If you are carrying heavier stuff though (like portable stoves, or items predominantly made of metal), it can reach 60 lbs. Anything beyond that you should be using an 80-90-100 liter backpack.

As an example, the popular Osprey Farpoint 70 is sized under 62 linear inches so it will easily make the checked luggage restrictions (actual dimensions are 26H X 14W X 13D inches, so 53 linear inches). This pack weighs only 3.92 lbs when empty, so you can stuff a few more items compared to a rolling suitcase that would weigh 10 lbs already.

Finally, for those who are worried their backpack straps will snag on the conveyor belts, here is a solution and it is packable and lightweight itself: https://www.ospreypacks.com/us/en/produ … D_514.html

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer