#1 2-5-2017 7:56 AM

Essex, England
Award: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi I
Posts: 144

Backpacking Morocco help.

Hi, my previous travels have been pretty plan free as i have been on extended trips, so just took it easy,  for Morocco i only have 24 days, so a decent amount of time but feel i should have a loose plan to make the most of my time, without it dictating my whole trip.

Places i am planning on visiting:

- Marrakech (fly in and out from here)
- Fes
- Meknes
- Casablanca
- Chefchaouen
- Essaouira
- Ait benhaddou (thinking of staying the night here, on the way to sahara)
-Merzouga (go solo by bus, and arrange camel tour,  desert camping from here)?

Any other places i should check out? i am a solo backpacker 23, just trying to work out the best route and how long to stay in each place as i only have 24 days.

#2 2-5-2017 10:05 AM

maykal
Michael
Saint Andrews, Scotland
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Bedbug I
Sightseer
Posts: 58

Re: Backpacking Morocco help.

From Marrakech to Fes, if you take the train you'll have to pass through Casablanca and Rabat, and it is worth spending a day or two in either or both of these cities. Compared to the other big cities, they're not as touristy so I experienced a lot less hassle. Rabat has more to see, with some grand monuments, a nice medina and a kasbah overlooking the river mouth. Casablanca has the huge Hassan II mosque by the sea (the only mosque non-Muslims can enter in Morocco I think), and is a good place to experience modern urban Morocco, although it's not the most beautiful city.

From Meknes, you can easily make a day trip to the Roman ruins of Volubilis, and walk a couple of kilometres to the old town of Moulay Idriss spread over two hills. I liked Meknes a lot, very relaxed compared to nearby Fes.

Morocco is quite an easy country to travel around spontaneously. I never had any issues with finding transport. Trains are the best way to travel between the big cities, much better than the trains we have here in the UK, and I found taking "grands taxis" more comfortable than buses, and more flexible (they leave whenever they have enough passengers, and on popular routes I never had to wait long).

have a good trip smile

#3 3-27-2017 3:28 AM

ulis
Uli
Vienna, Austria
Wanderer
Posts: 426

Re: Backpacking Morocco help.

Fez and Marrakesh where for me the most interesting places, I did like also Tangier  and Ouazazarte, in case you do kitesurfing the bay next to Ad Dakhla might be interesting

#4 3-30-2017 4:18 AM

Posts: 144

thanks for the help, i had a great trip to Morocco. smile

#5 3-30-2017 9:58 PM

Sept922
Award: Community LeaderAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster I
Explorer
Posts: 1673

Re: Backpacking Morocco help.

Give us some highlights if you could. Visiting a friend in casablanca but only have about 2 weeks total this time. I was gonna do the Tangier to Casa line on the train and see Asilah and Rabat also. I guess Marrakesh is a must no?

#6 3-31-2017 12:53 AM

jacobi
Bendigo, Australia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi I
Posts: 188

jake0020 wrote:

thanks for the help, i had a great trip to Morocco. smile

love to see photos if you have any. smile

#7 3-31-2017 5:17 AM

TravelingChris
Chris
Pemberton, New Jersey
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi I
Posts: 111

Re: Backpacking Morocco help.

I'm especially interested in Marrakesh and Chefchaouen for later this year. Please post your blog and pics to share the knowledge!

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer