#1 3-27-2017 12:00 PM

Con8722
Couch Potato

Planning on Travelling to Australia

Hi everyone

Been thinking about it for a while now and decided I want to go to Australia after I finish uni. I finish up on the 8th of May and will most likely have until the start of September.

However not sure if I should apply got a WHV or just travel.

Il have around 5000 AUD after flights.

Would it be worth getting a WHV if il most likely only be able to use it for 3/4 months ?

I'd most likely start in Cairns and travel down the east coast as it's the rainy season in Sydney the whole of June!

Thanks

#2 3-27-2017 1:13 PM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad

Re: Planning on Travelling to Australia

5000$ aud? depends what you do with that............... Australia isn't a cheap country to travel around. ...................For sure apply for WHV if your money is gone you can always got some jobs while traveling around. If you only have a tourist visa, there's no way to get a job there.

#3 3-27-2017 1:16 PM

slayerspike
Blair
Melbourne, Australia
Award: Photographer IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi IV
Explorer

Rainy season?, You mean winter?. Sydney is not tropical so has four seasons.
In terms of WHV that's up to you. It depends on how long you will be in the country and if you want to pick up some work. Look into the requirements and decide for yourself. You also need to check visitor visas to see how long you can be in the country with one.

#4 3-27-2017 2:44 PM

Con8722
Couch Potato

Well I heard it rains quite a lot in June in Sydney so would make more sense to head there after June.

If I got the WHV I would have roughly 4 months.

How far do you think i could get with 5000 AUD, if i went up/down the East coast, did the main things like seeing whitsunday islands and fraser island etc? Wouldn't expect to last more than 6 weeks.

Is it difficult to find work?

Would prefer a bar job, although never worked at a bar before.

Thanks

#5 3-28-2017 12:45 PM

slayerspike
Blair
Melbourne, Australia
Award: Photographer IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi IV
Explorer

Look at http://www.hostelworld.com and http://www.hostelbookers.com for the price of hostels.
Food wise if your eating out it will cost $10-$20 a meal. Most hostels have kitchens so you can get stuff from the supermarket and cook to make it cheaper.

#6 3-29-2017 7:28 AM

gemmapurcell
Gemma
Couch Potato

Yes I also agree about it...
"5000$ AUD? depends what you do with that............... Australia isn't a cheap country to travel around."
Just be sure about the expenses.

#7 3-29-2017 9:38 PM

davejo
david
Puerto Princesa City, Philippines
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi I
Tourist

$5000 is not that much money when you are traveling. I spent 3 months there in '83 and another 3 in'92. We were there last year for 2 weeks and i was shocked at the high prices---transport, food , entrance fees etc. We normally ate a special in the pub or restaurant for about $10 and slept in guest houses and hostels. If you meet friends and start partying and drinking this is where you will spend too much on beer.

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer