#1 3-11-2017 3:44 PM

l_ris
Couch Potato

What suitcase?

I'm going for a 2 month exchange to Denmark, i need to buy suitcase. I'm not sure what type of suitcase or even how much or what i should bring. I have a baggage allowance of 23kgs  and a carry on. What size suitcase should i get?

#2 3-11-2017 4:18 PM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad

Re: What suitcase?

A good question.
Denmark is a shopping paradise especially in Copenhagen. Just bring what you need, you probably will do some shoppings when you get there

#3 3-11-2017 5:00 PM

nolan
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

l_ris wrote:

I'm going for a 2 month exchange to Denmark, i need to buy suitcase. I'm not sure what type of suitcase or even how much or what i should bring. I have a baggage allowance of 23kgs  and a carry on. What size suitcase should i get?

Get a 25"-27" spinner suitcase. It will be easy for you to carry and wheel around. Whether softside or hardside is a matter of preference for you. Soft sided luggage can be expanded whereas hard sided can't.

Oh and don't get a 29" suitcase or bigger because if you fill that up, you will likely go over 50 lbs (23 kg). Not to mention that it's too big already, but if you just pack only clothes without much heavier items, you will still manage to squeeze in 50 lbs but that will take some skill to ensure balance and volume maximization.

I won't mention any brands yet, but generally you will pay between $100-300 for a good quality suitcase. Anything lower than $100 and you're likely to see broken parts within a year or two.

For reference, check this link and the image: https://www.luggagepros.com/policies/lu … izes.shtml

https://media.luggagepros.com/skin/frontend/lp_responsive/default/images/static_pages/wheeled-size-guide_2.jpg

Last edited by nolan (3-11-2017 5:05 PM)

#4 3-12-2017 7:02 PM

trippin_jen
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

I was away for a month, I had a 28" one with me. It was about 3/4 full and weighed about 20kg. I had no plans to buy anything back cos the currency there was very strong so I make sure I didn't have to spend much. On my way back I only bought some local snacks which filled up my luggage, plus a hand carry. While my luggage was packed to its max capacity, it weighed to around 24kg. What i'm trying to say is, it really depends the items you're planning to pack.

#5 3-12-2017 10:16 PM

jethanad
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi III
Nomad

Nowadays, cheap bags are readily available everywhere, so I treat them as disposable items, buying them only as I need to.
In a pinch, I will also use grocery bags as carry-on items, convenient and very flexible.

#6 3-12-2017 10:23 PM

trippin_jen
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

jethanad wrote:

Nowadays, cheap bags are readily available everywhere, so I treat them as disposable items, buying them only as I need to.
In a pinch, I will also use grocery bags as carry-on items, convenient and very flexible.

Haha! Carry ons are ok I guess, but if perhaps you need a better quality one for check-ins.. don't think you want your stuff to be scattered all over upon arrival.

#7 3-13-2017 2:30 AM

nolan
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

trippin_jen wrote:

jethanad wrote:

Haha! Carry ons are ok I guess, but if perhaps you need a better quality one for check-ins.. don't think you want your stuff to be scattered all over upon arrival.

Yeah I have seen what has happened to many check in luggage that are cheap and inferior quality. Some have weak zippers that burst open if packed too tight and tossed around by the baggage handlers; others have water absorbent (not water or stain resistant) materials that soak up the smell of frozen fish that melts and gets placed on top of the luggage; while there are also baggage handlers who steal the contents of bags by using a ballpen to punch through the zippers as if nothing happened.

For some reason if one doesn't use luggage, they tend to deteriorate as well (not as fast as regular usage). Sometimes all it takes is just one trip, other luggage may be lucky to last a bit longer. I average about 10 years for luggage used occasionally (2-3x travel yearly), and even my highly warrantied luggage also gets broken in different places (zipper pulls, wheels, rusted or stuck zippers, etc.). But I put them up to abuse but always ask that the FRAGILE sticker be placed when checking in for a flight. And still they get damaged.

Bottomline is, buying luggage has a lot to do with personality, not just whether it is cheap or expensive. Find one suited to your style and traveling pattern, and choose those with high ratings on the website they are sold from .

#8 3-13-2017 2:40 AM

nolan
Explorer

Oh, and if I may add, if people are anticipating travel only once or twice a year (or even less), then they might as well borrow from friends or relatives. My sister is all so willing to lend me her $700 Rimowa Trunk or her $40 JanSport duffel - makes sense to maximize use rather than purchase something similar.

It's similar to hiking - people don't expect to invest in $300 GoreTex leather boots right away, when a $50 pair would do ... of course, borrowing boots is a personal thing ... but there are people who nevertheless do so tongue. At least luggage isn't as personal as shoes unless you have the name of the owner written all over the side of the bag tongue

#9 3-13-2017 2:59 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad

Even expensive luggage don't get along for many years, I mostly buy samsonite, traveling 6-7 times  a year it only goes 2 year of usage. Lately, I don't buy expensive suitcase, my recent one I bought in the Philippines without brand, it only cost 7000 peso double  zipper and I still using it  5 years now

#10 3-13-2017 6:44 AM

grandmar
RosalieAnn
Leonardtown, Maryland
Award: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

I agree not to get a bag bigger than 29" - I had one and no matter what I put in it, it was always overweight.  I prefer soft side because I think they are lighter.  I get my suitcases from a place that sells them to the pilots and flight attendants, and they last really well. I have a roller bag of 24" and that will take about 2 weeks of clothes as long as I don't take too many shoes.  My carry-on is not a roller bag, but can be looped onto the roller bag and pulled together.  If they are both roller bags they don't mesh well when I have both of them.

Also a roller bag is no good unless the place you are traveling to has paved roads and sidewalks.  It doesn't help if you have to cross a sand beach or where there is mud at your destination.  And if you are going to be on a yacht, you might as well have a duffle bag or something without a frame as there isn't that much storage and what storage there is is apt to be odd shaped.

#11 3-22-2017 6:44 AM

milestx
Miles
Austin, Texas
Sightseer

You may decide to do some travel within Europe while you are there. So, you may want to look on the websites of some of the European low-cost airlines (Ryanair, Vueling, EasyJet, Air Baltic), to see their carry-on dimensional and weight limits. I use a backpack for shorter trips, instead of a suitcase.

One interesting thing to do is go to Amazon website and search for 'ryanair carry on'. However, some carry-ons approved by Ryanair may not meet the requirements for the other European airlines.

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer