#1 10-27-2016 10:26 AM

Italy in December

What is best gear/luggage/ to travel there? I'm going to Naples and Rome.
~ TIA (Thanks in advance:)

#2 10-28-2016 2:25 AM

MarioBG
Mario
Johannesburg, South Africa
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 410

Re: Italy in December

I guess it depends on how long you plan to visit for? My trip was a total of 3 weeks so my luggage was slightly larger than my usual 75L Backpack. I would definitely pack comfortable walking shoes.

Not to mean to discourage you but Naples itself was a big disappointment for me. It was dodgy and the complete opposite of what I expected. HOWEVER, it was the most perfect base point to visit nearby islands and towns smile I would strongly suggest a trip to Procida ( my highlight of my entire trip ) and Capri ( incredible ). Positano is nearby too as well as Pompeii.

#3 10-28-2016 3:47 AM

stefmuts
Stefanie
Neerpelt, Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer
Posts: 1350

Re: Italy in December

Did you google: Italy climate ?
Might give you an idea on what clothes to bring
If you need more tips you have to tell us more, like what are you planning to do, how long are you staying etc.

#4 10-28-2016 7:50 AM

VincenzoR
Vincenzo
Vicenza, Italy
Posts: 1

Re: Italy in December

I live near Venice.. It's cold so make sure to bring long sleeves and jumpers! It's pretty hard to travel with luggages so backpacks are the best option in my opinion. Depends how much you want to move around those cities and how often you are willing to change accomodation smile

#5 12-2-2016 4:46 AM

Jhon_Carter
Posts: 14

Re: Italy in December

Winter in Italy is, for the most part, cold and wet – so the stuff you should think about bringing is primarily about keeping you warm and dry. As mentioned, cold-weather clothing is far bulkier to pack than warm – weather clothing, so if you have the budget for it this may be one place to splurge on travel clothing in these high – tech fabrics that keep you warm without being enormous.

1)    Warm and Water – Resistant Coat.
2)    Water – Resistant Shoes.
3)    Gloves and Hat.
4)    Sunglasses.
5)    Snow gear
6)    Plug adapter, cell phone

#6 12-5-2016 10:01 AM

Bojasem
Taher
Kuwait City, Kuwait
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad
Posts: 590

Re: Italy in December

It depend in you destination.

Verona,Milan,Turin,Bolzano, Bologna and Venice 100 % will be cold weather .however, warmer than Germany,Austria & Belgium.

Florence,Rome ,Napoli and south Italy semi winter ,for them it is winter for me cool weather, but you can not swim water is cold in the beach.

#7 12-5-2016 11:47 AM

Re: Italy in December

Thank you. These guides will help me pick my gears carefully smile

One more question (not sure if I should post again or direct here?) I am staying only for 3 days ( coming from Paris 3 days so total travel time= 6 days)

anyway...a friend have told me to pack light...I'm not sure about that...my friend says I need only a backpack and a carry on ... I have a  hotel already booked, a transport from airport to hotel & vice versa... and I plan to only bring w/ me (when I go out to tours) to just bring my back pack w/ me & my documents. The rest will stay in the hotel which are just my simple clothes (in my midsize luggage 26x18x12).
I have a total of 3 luggages (includes the midsize luggage 26x18x12 expanded add 2.8 =2. dimension; cabin size approved spinner 21. x 14 x9 + 2.8 if expanded; and a mid size back pack w/ just 2 lbs worth of personal effects make-up, RFID wallet, drink section--and open space for souvenirs). I hope I am detailed enough. Thanks for any advice. Set to leave Dec 12...

Jhon_Carter wrote:

1)    Warm and Water – Resistant Coat.
2)    Water – Resistant Shoes.
3)    Gloves and Hat.
4)    Sunglasses.
5)    Snow gear
6)    Plug adapter, cell phone

#8 12-5-2016 11:49 AM

Re: Italy in December

Nope, but will do it...thank you..didn't think of that....

stefmuts wrote:

Did you google: Italy climate ?
Might give you an idea on what clothes to bring

#9 12-5-2016 11:50 AM

Re: Italy in December

Thanks.... I am seeing and hearing  negative degrees ...so  will pack warm clothes..

Bojasem wrote:

It depend in you destination.

#10 12-5-2016 10:08 PM

Sorry what do you mean by dodgy? Is it sort of a sad place ???

I asked this because I am very curious to see the Pompeii/Mt. Vesuvius area which is a time capsule from I 40A.D. ( don't quotae me on this ). I Just got curious about it from my European history class...  We will have time to go around Amalfi Coast as well. I heard it is pretty out there.

#11 12-13-2016 1:03 AM

MarioBG
Mario
Johannesburg, South Africa
Posts: 410

Rome you will love for sure smile

Dodgy as in unsafe. I stayed 2min from the train station which also could have been the reason for my experience. Maybe the outskirts of Naples are nicer. Street hustlers are pretty much on every corner trying to sell you clothes, drugs and electronics (probably stolen). The transvestite prostitutes were quite amusing too. I have no idea why police allows all that.

Like I said though, it is a great base point to take day trips to visit other nearby places.

#12 12-28-2016 3:46 PM

Re: Italy in December

Thank you for this warning MarioBG...I see what you meant. I just came back from my Italy trip.

Yes I was afraid to encounter some crooks hehe, I was warned so I though joining a tour and arranging transport from hotel to airport and vice versa would be better. I am glad I didn't experience  those things you mentioned except for an experience....

I was in Napoli for my Pompeii tour and there sure was a tour guide that almost got me to pay 30 mins tour for 50 euros/ 1 hour for 115 euros....mind you I already paid for the tour while I was in LA, it just got me why he was announcing English tour so I thought I need to go with him, lol...I realized that I  have already paid this Pompeii tour when I booked my flight and the whole tour thing...If you are not really paying attention, scammers will get you  and yes people here allow it...no police/or guards were  around to stop these scammers..

Besides Pompeii, my tour went to the Amalfi Coastline and stopped in Positano, Sorrento and did some shopping and church visits, gelato and they were fun..It rained and I had my coat and waterproof boots. It was a perfect tour...

I am glad to this TravBuddy forums. They do help... Thanks to all who inputed their thoughts.

#13 12-29-2016 3:30 AM

GiovanniBenvenuto
Italy
Posts: 10

Re: Italy in December

Christmas occasions drive a little spike in things like costs and crowds in December.Snow is basic in many parts of the nation, especially in the mountains and at higher rises, and even now and again adrift level (snow falling in Venice is a standout amongst the most lovely winter scenes you'll find in Italy). Also, where it's not snowing, it's probably going to rain.

Benvenuto Limos would organize best visits for you and you will appreciate best.

#14 1-3-2017 10:53 AM

Re: Italy in December

Thank you. You are right it was very cold in the mountain/ higher elevation areas. I was in Pompeii and was very cold but did not snow...it did drizzle some rain but really rained in the Amalfi Coast area--Positano, Serrento areas..Still was mostly a gorgeous day of touring..I will come back again and remember your tour. Thanks for your reply. I appreciate all who've helped me prepare for this Europe tour..

GiovanniBenvenuto wrote:

flybackindia
Chandigarh, India
Posts: 2

Re: Italy in December

I think the climate there would be nice and warm. So the luggage I would suggest would contain mostly summer wear shirts and t shirts. I would still carry some light jackets in case there is some cold breeze or change in weather.

#17 3-1-2017 3:46 AM

gingerbatik
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IVAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer
Posts: 1978

flybackindia wrote:

ehmm.... you probably never been to Italy or probably you live in Antartica therefore Italy would be warm for you in winter:)
December is winter in Europe and Italy included, so weather wise it would be cold and you will need your winter gear.

Anyway, for a short trip for 6 days, you don't need to bring 3 luggage, oiii..... that is way too much.

For a short trip like a one week trip, I usually only bring 3 t'shirt with one extra pair of long pants.  I can wash the t'shirt in the hotel room or worse case scenerio I have it dry clean in the hotel or buy a new t'shirt depending situation. winter jacket (gears) is essential in winter.

Leave your passport in the hotel room safetly, and take a passport copy with you so you wouldn't lose it.

Hope that help.

#18 3-1-2017 8:11 AM

grandmar
RosalieAnn
Leonardtown, Maryland
Posts: 462

Re: Italy in December

Naples will be warmer than Rome, but not THAT much warmer.  Italy in the winter is cold and damp and sometimes foggy.  It is good for visits to Pompeii.

#19 3-1-2017 9:05 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Nomad
Posts: 963

Re: Italy in December

If you ever going back to Italy, visit the Southern part, December is really warm. In daytime can goes up to 17C the Puglia region is awaesome. Italy is beautiful one of my favourite country in Europe.....Puglia and Abruzzo regions are one of the best place not really touristy and so as Sardinia

#20 3-21-2017 5:09 AM

milestx
Miles
Austin, Texas
Sightseer
Posts: 85

carm007 wrote:

You have a wise friend. Rick Steves is a well-known travel writer who has lots of information about how and why to travel light.

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer