#1 12-6-2016 8:52 PM

Princeton, New Jersey
Award: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi I
Posts: 114

Machu Picchu 2017

I'd like to fulfill a travel dream in 2017 by visiting Machu Picchu and possibly the Galápagos Islands. Who can tell me the best time of year to go, where to stay, what travel tours are worth looking into and what to avoid? BTW - the hike up the mountain would be great but in the interest of time, I will do the train. Thanks

#2 12-7-2016 12:54 AM

stefmuts
Stefanie
Neerpelt, Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer
Posts: 1313

Re: Machu Picchu 2017

I travelled Peru with G adventures (called GAP then) International (small) group with local guide
https://www.gadventures.com/?gclid=CKKa … GwodXQgNdA
I would do Galápagos on a separate trip, Peru has a lot more than just Machu Picchu !!!

#3 12-7-2016 11:23 AM

Bojasem
Taher
Kuwait City, Kuwait
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 587

Re: Machu Picchu 2017

It look nice. I wish go there in the future

#4 12-13-2016 12:12 AM

Award: Photographer IAward: Writer IAward: Vox Populi IV
Explorer
Posts: 3287

Re: Machu Picchu 2017

No need for a tour in advance.  Any of the hotels/hostels in Cuzco can hook you up to the degree of assistance you need.  There is more to the Sacred Valley than MP, so plan on a week.

#6 12-13-2016 8:49 PM

tlenot
Tony
Denver, Colorado
Award: Critic IAward: Happy Happy Happy
Sightseer
Posts: 60

Re: Machu Picchu 2017

I did MP in February 2015, I believe it is the rainy season but it was fine.  Also it is the off season, but there were many people in my opinion.  Just something to think about.  I use the app aviator to book my tours.  You can checkout my blog of MP in my profile.  At MP there is a separate cost to hike a peak, I think you have to purchase a month in advance and maybe even more.  I did not know about this but wish I had known and book it.  I would recommend it.

#7 12-13-2016 8:52 PM

tlenot
Tony
Denver, Colorado
Award: Critic IAward: Happy Happy Happy
Sightseer
Posts: 60

Re: Machu Picchu 2017

*damn auto correct.  Should be viator.

#8 1-11-2017 6:05 AM

helsbels6583
Helen
Couch Potato
Posts: 29

Re: Machu Picchu 2017

I am doing Peru in August 2017, plan on spending the whole of August in Peru then if I can save enough, move onto Ecuador and Galapagos Islands
I too am looking for trip ideas but our basics are MP, Colca Canyon, Sacred Valley and a stay in the amazon (details tbc)

I am looking to book flights and Inca trail with STA Travel this month, if anyone has any experience with these Good or bad, please do comment!

#9 1-14-2017 1:27 PM

Holeydel
Award: Photographer IAward: Writer IIAward: Vox Populi III
Posts: 877

Re: Machu Picchu 2017

MP has two peaks up at the top. As tlenot mentions, one of them requires a permit which sells out so if you want this peak, get in quick. This peak apparently provides a 360 view. The second, larger peak is free and is quite a slog, but worth it.

helsbels685432876582346 - Salcantay trek is pretty sweet, with one high pass that might cause AS. Along the way is the option to zipline and hot spring. I booked mine at a Cusco hostel for something like $280 in 2014. Colca Canyon is easily booked from a hostel in Arequipa. It's a nice, all dayer trek with a steep slog the next morning.

#10 1-18-2017 7:42 AM

solot
London, England
Couch Potato
Posts: 3

Hi,

I am planning to get to Peru in beginning of May.

Is it possible to do the multi-day trek without a guide? is the trail marked / clear?

Can one take a tent and wild-camp along the way?

Thanks a lot.

Last edited by solot (1-18-2017 9:36 AM)

#11 1-20-2017 4:31 AM

Holeydel
Award: Photographer IAward: Writer IIAward: Vox Populi III
Posts: 877

Re: Machu Picchu 2017

There was a yank walking with us who was doing it solo, carrying his tent & such. He said what with the aggro and cost of getting to the starting point, paying for meals, using a camp ground etc, he wish he did the tour instead. You could wild camp, but you'd miss out on the company you're sure to make along the way, which is why this guy ended up camping on the camp grounds.

#12 3-21-2017 1:25 AM

jacobi
Bendigo, Australia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi I
Posts: 170

Holeydel wrote:

That's good to know smile

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer