#1 12-2-2016 6:59 AM

NicolasR
Nicolas
Neiva, Colombia
Posts: 1

This is a traveler asking for advices - I am heading to Australia.

Hi,

I will be hoping to have some answers,
Thanks!

Last edited by NicolasR (12-2-2016 6:59 AM)

#2 12-2-2016 1:08 PM

kvom
Kirk
Cumming, Georgia
Award: Photographer IAward: Writer IAward: Vox Populi IV
Posts: 3287

Re: This is a traveler asking for advices - I am heading to Australia.

If I wanted to learn English as a second language, Australia wouldn't be my choice.

#3 12-2-2016 3:52 PM

#5 12-5-2016 1:43 PM

slayerspike
Blair
Melbourne, Australia
Award: Photographer IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi IV
Posts: 2026

Y'all talk funny

errybody talks funny. It's just depends who is listening....

The Gold cost is very much a holiday destination, good beaches, theme parks, etc.
You will see a lot of people on holiday, so not just Australians.

I would say do some research online or go get a guide book. http://wikitravel.org/ is a good website to start with.

#6 2-15-2017 2:54 AM

Sebastian-Williams
Posts: 6

Re: This is a traveler asking for advices - I am heading to Australia.

Hi I understand that you will be travelling to Gold Coast to perfect your English. Well Unilodgers blog has all you need to know Blog title there is : GOLD COAST, AUSTRALIA- INTERNATIONAL STUDENT’S GUIDE.

You will find it useful. It is like a student guide of sorts. Let me know if you require any further help.

#7 2-15-2017 6:11 AM

stefmuts
Stefanie
Neerpelt, Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 1313

danly wrote:

And why would that be?

Maybe Because They swear and curse a lot (even my Aussie family members Say That about themselves)

#8 2-15-2017 8:32 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Nomad
Posts: 826

Re: This is a traveler asking for advices - I am heading to Australia.

Australia is a good country to learn English. My daughter is studying in Melbourne. You need to do some research online. If you enroll as a student you get a student visa

If you go as working holiday visa you get 1 year visa and can extend to 2 years.

#9 2-15-2017 2:00 PM

cthunder86
William
Troy, Michigan
Award: Critic IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer
Posts: 425

Re: This is a traveler asking for advices - I am heading to Australia.

Nicolas go!  You will have fun.

#10 2-16-2017 8:46 AM

travmavalexis
San Francisco, California

Re: This is a traveler asking for advices - I am heading to Australia.

How fun! Congratulations on graduating!

Like Blair said, it's great for beaches and theme parks. On how to behave, you should be fine as you are. I think so long as your intentions are to be polite, you should be received that way, especially if you tell people you're from another country.  In parts of Asia,  one cultural misunderstanding can as cause you to lose rapport. I don't think you'll have this type of problem in Australia. Just be you smile

Even if for some reason something happens or there's a misunderstanding, you learn from it! You'll learn by living.

Have fun and good luck!

#11 2-16-2017 8:50 AM

gingerbatik
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IVAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 1961

Re: This is a traveler asking for advices - I am heading to Australia.

I quite like Goldcoast. It is fun and plenty of entertainments.  You would be okay there as long you follow the general rules and behaviour.  Good luck with your english program.

#12 2-20-2017 1:02 PM

Dymphna
Lee Ann
Montana, United States
Award: Vox Populi I
Tourist
Posts: 112

Re: This is a traveler asking for advices - I am heading to Australia.

Spent a little time on the southern part of the Gold Coast, by Melbourne. Beautiful area! How are you planning to get around? I loved Melbourne. The people were very friendly and ready to talk all the time. It did help that the woman I went with and I love to tell stories. Do take some time to see the wild life. There are some really good tours in the area.

#13 2-24-2017 5:40 AM

gemmapurcell
Gemma
Posts: 41

Re: This is a traveler asking for advices - I am heading to Australia.

Gold Coast is a great place for visitor. You bare going there for educational reason so if you are stay in some of your relatives house so that's fine but if you are stay in a hotel or anything else that also fine.

#14 2-27-2017 6:47 AM

wabat
Canberra, Australia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy Happy
Posts: 10

Re: This is a traveler asking for advices - I am heading to Australia.

The first thing to consider is your ability to get an appropraite visa for Australia. You will not be able to enrol at Bond on a tourist visa.

#15 3-6-2017 5:02 AM

gemmapurcell
Gemma
Posts: 41

Re: This is a traveler asking for advices - I am heading to Australia.

Australia is the most attractive travel place in the world. wink produces

Last edited by gemmapurcell (3-6-2017 5:04 AM)

#16 3-7-2017 4:23 AM

danly
Perth, Australia

stefmuts wrote:

danly wrote:

And why would that be?

I honestly don't see a problem in that. If you're going to an English speaking country to learn at an accredited course, let alone, a university such as Bond - you will be taught the right thing. This is irregardless of what country it may be.

And you're goddamn right that we swear a lot. No different to the UK, Ireland, NZ.

#17 3-21-2017 1:14 AM

jacobi
Bendigo, Australia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi I
Tourist
Posts: 170

NicolasR wrote:

Hi, My name is Nicolás, now i live in Colombia. I just got graduated from school and i am interested on improving my english by travelling to australia and taking part on Bond`s University english program. My problem is that i know barely nothing about Australia, speciffically Gold Coast. I would like to listen some of you guys about how is it there. I would like to recieve some advices about how should i behave or what should i do during my experience in Gold Coast. I will be hoping to have some answers, Thanks!

Hey Nicolas. Don't listen to any negative stuff about Australia. It's a great country and that's why so many people are trying to come here to live. I came to this country 48 years ago when I was 2. Australians have been quite welcoming to most people. I have seen most of this country, except the Northern Territory. The English language here isn't any more crude than anywhere else, but it's just that us Aussies can swear in a much better way than most others. smile Hmm, to me the Gold Coast isn't an attraction at all, but for younger people I can see that it might be and there are a lot of tourists there, so your English may not get as much practice as other places. The good thing about the English language in Australia is that there isn't a lot of difference in the accent across the whole country, just a few colloquial words that are used in different area, but not too many. And because we get a lot of TV from international networks, we are very accustomed to hearing English spoken in many ways, so I'm sure you will be understood quite well, especially by the younger generations. You don't have to behave in any different way than you would normally in Columbia Nicolas. Without a word of a lie, you really will be received well if you say "G'day mate" to an Aussie guy. Don't say it loud or with too much affliction, no need, just say it in the same tone you would if you were saying "Hello". I'm happy to answer more questions if you have them. Dan.

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer