#1 3-2-2017 2:38 PM

pammy_robertson
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi II

Honduras and El Salvador

Hey guys I'm currently in Guatemala and I planned to travel all the way to Panama. I keep hearing horror stories about Honduras and El Salvador. I'm a likely to be travelling myself. What is the safest way to get to Nicaragua from Guatemala. I'd really like to see utila and wonder if anyone has gone there from Guatemala perhaps by ferry to avoid the mainland. Any tips would be great. Thanks smile

#2 3-2-2017 6:46 PM

kvom
Kirk
Cumming, Georgia
Award: Photographer IAward: Writer IAward: Vox Populi IV
Posts: 3287

Re: Honduras and El Salvador

Bus travel should be fine to traverse El Salvador and Honduras.  But it's a long trip.  I'd probably fly if budget allows.

#3 3-3-2017 5:44 AM

Apurva_N
Apurva
New Delhi, India
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 389

Re: Honduras and El Salvador

I'd agree that it is not that dangerous travelling through Honduras and El Salvador by bus, even if its long, and you could fly too. I'd actually advise not skipping Honduras, if only to see the Copan Ruins - it's amazing.

#4 3-3-2017 3:26 PM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Nomad
Posts: 821

Re: Honduras and El Salvador

I have done Central America a couple of years ago, we cross the border by bus without any problem. No idea about the ferry.

Check this bus company-- one of the best bus in Central America https://ticabus.com/Home/index

#5 3-3-2017 4:08 PM

danly
Perth, Australia
Posts: 30

Re: Honduras and El Salvador

Tica bus is cheaper than Pullmantur, but I really do rate Pullmantur. The seats are much less cramped!

#6 3-4-2017 5:15 AM

Cho
Cho
Orlando, Florida
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad
Posts: 667

Apurva_N wrote:

Mainstream media has been reporting for years that Honduras and El Salvador are among the most dangerous countries in the world.  Well, as most of us know, a lot of fake news come out of mainstream media.  While these two countries may not be safe in certain areas, we never felt or encountered any danger when we traveled from Guatemala to Honduras on a 6 hour car journey.

I've not been to El Salvador, but yes, the Copan Ruins are certainly a must see in Honduras.  The town of Copan Ruinas by itself is also a pretty little place.

As for Nicaragua, it is one of my favorite Latin American countries.  Very cheap too! The capital Managua is so so, but we really loved Granada.  Sorry, I can't give any information about traveling overland from Guatemala to Nicaragua (we took the bus from Costa Rica to Nicaragua) but I would recommend TICA bus.  They go all over Central America and their buses are comfortable with reasonably priced fares.

#7 3-5-2017 1:38 PM

matthew
Matthew
Nottingham, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 3705

Re: Honduras and El Salvador

Tegucigalpa is beautiful, and worth seeing.  San Salvadore too is worth a stop off.  They can be dangerous, but far more so at night.  You should be fine during the day, as long as you follow the usual rules, don't walk side streets where no people are etc.

Copan is very touristy, and definitely worth seeing.  I didn't struggle at all with travelling both countries, and really enjoyed the experiences.  I didn't find them excessively unsafe, and certainly not much more so than Guatemala.  I think it would be a shame to miss out, and hurry through because of what is probably over-exaggerated opinions.

#8 3-17-2017 7:43 AM

EdyFicio
Ezequiel
Rosario, Argentina
Posts: 3

Re: Honduras and El Salvador

Hi Pammy. I was in Roatan, Honduras in August with my wife and had a great time. I dont know what you mean with horror stories. People there is awesome, so friendly and kind. We rented a car and went to many beautiful places and beaches. The water is incredible, and so warm; we were in the sea a lot of time. Also, we could find a good hotel, not cheap, but very comfortable. Take a look here: http://www.roatanhotel.net/
Hope you visit Roatan and you will thank me.
Bye!!!

Last edited by EdyFicio (3-17-2017 7:43 AM)

#9 3-17-2017 8:21 AM

Re: Honduras and El Salvador

Sorry for my late response... Had terrible internet connection here. I have decided to go to Honduras and El Salvador regardless

#10 3-18-2017 1:54 PM

Globevoyager
Maike
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: Vox Populi IV
Posts: 1077

Re: Honduras and El Salvador

I just came back from the trip you're doing in reversed order.

I absolutely loved loved loved El Salvador. Unfortunately I didn't have much time, but would have loved to stay longer. I felt super safe. The vibe is very relaxt. I only visited Juayua (food festival every Saturday), Tacuba & Parque Imposible and Playa Tunco.
I hitchhiked together with another girl. Never had any isues. Public transportation is organised enough.
Currency is the US$ only.
San Salvador should be great for art, and Santa Ana has great hiking and vulcanoes worth visiting.

Really go and visit this lovely country with very friendly and helpful people. Speaking some Spanish is a big help.

Honduras, I found it the roughest country of all Central America, but even there I didn't feel unsafe. I was alert a lot more and you probably should. But I would still recommend visiting.
Copan is nice. And Lago Yajoa is absolutely stunning!! Stay at D&D Brewery. Rent a kayak and peddle the beatiful lake.
Most people also visit one of the islands, but I wasn't interested.

#11 3-18-2017 2:43 PM

Re: Honduras and El Salvador

Thanks Maike! I'm hoping to get to the islands roatan and utila from Livingston Guatemala, there's a company who offer a direct shuttle, then head to Copan. Did you visit suchitoto? It looks close to the border of Honduras. I know I want to see el tunco but not sure where else. So I'll check out your suggestions. I don't fancy hitchhiking. I've heard from other travels heading north they loved both... And I've met others who skipped it completely. I'll report back in a few wks time! smile

My fear stems from a recent to docu in the uk called walking the Americas. Which most of my friends who watched it told me "I think you should cancel your trip" but I've heard more good than bad

#12 3-19-2017 2:00 AM

Globevoyager
Maike
Posts: 1077

Hey,
When I had booked my flights every one was terrified, thinking they would not see me back. Every one: people who watch the news but never been to these countries. The few people that had been were excited for me.
I never felt unsafe, nowhere. Tourism is very well organized and people are more helpful and friendly than on all my  previous trips.
I'm glad you did go! You'll have a blast.
I heard good stories about sochiototo.

#13 3-20-2017 6:46 PM

craigadkins
Craig
Posts: 3

Re: Honduras and El Salvador

I have been to Central America multiple times.  I know you have heard "horror stories" about Honduras and El Salvador but there are just as many about Guatemala.  If you have been comfortable traveling about Guatemala, you should be equally comfortable traveling through Honduras and El Salvador.  There are bad people of course, but the vast majority are good, decent and kind.

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer