#1 3-20-2017 2:59 AM

Bergen, Norway
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer
Posts: 1296

Italy. North west coast

In Easter I'm going to Italy for one week. Coming from Nice and flying out of Pisa. I was in Cinque Terre a few years ago,so don't think I'm going there. Have also been to Pisa,but that's a long time ago. Might go and see the towe before my flight,not sure if I'm staying.
Looking for suggestions for couple of places to stay along the coast,some cousy small towns

Last edited by margunn (3-21-2017 5:25 AM)

#2 3-20-2017 8:55 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 205

Hi Margunn,

Driving the northwest coast of Italy is so scenic, there are nice small towns along the coast............make a stop in Genua, this town is not very popular and really worth to visit - it has beautiful sights and visit the nearby villages like Camogli and Rapallo

If you haven't been to Lucca, this is just a short trip from Pisa and so as Livorno, worth to see while you are in Pisa

#3 3-20-2017 10:23 AM

HORSCHECK
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: Bedbug IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Sightseer
Posts: 75

Re: Italy. North west coast

So if you have already been to the Cinque Terre (note the spelling) then you have already seen the highlight of the coast in this area, although the coast paths can be full with tourists in high season. Further down the coast, places like La Spezia, Portovenere or Viareggio are also well worth visiting.

I can also second the suggestion to visit Lucca, which is not located at the coast, but quite close to Pisa. It has a very nice old town with loads of churches and you can walk along the old town wall.

#4 3-21-2017 1:51 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Posts: 205

Re: Italy. North west coast

Cinque Terre (note the spelling)

Cinque terre or Quince terre is the same, the OP forget to translate in English I think big_smile

I've noticed a few days ago the same with Venice which was written in Swedish (Venideg)....... with all different language in Europe is all understandable, I sometimes had the same problem wink

Last edited by shavy (3-21-2017 1:52 AM)

#5 3-21-2017 5:25 AM

Bergen, Norway
Explorer
Posts: 1296

Re: Italy. North west coast

He he,thanks for the spell check guys. We do spell some places differently, but not Cinque Terre. I blame auto correct 😉
Haven't been to Lucca,so that's definetly an option.

#6 3-24-2017 4:36 AM

ilserita
Ilse
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 109

Re: Italy. North west coast

I made a roadtrip along the Italian west coast in the beginning of the 90's, so it's very looong ago, and maybe not really relevant big_smile. Still it's one of my best trips ever! We started our trip in Milano. I remember that we spent a night in Rapallo, where the only free room left was a luxury suite - so we had to stay in that one big_smile
I loved Rapallo and Santa Margherita. They were both just wonderful small towns, perfect for a vacation. On a weekend it was a must to book a restaurant if you wanted to go out for to eating dinner. We ended up at a place with delicious food from the sea.
After we had reached Pisa we drove to Firenze and stopped there for a day.
We had rented a cottage near Siena for one week and we did short trips from there in different directions around the area. I especially remember Siena and Montepulciano.

Last edited by ilserita (3-24-2017 4:43 AM)

#7 3-26-2017 11:20 AM

julsie23
Julie
Sightseer
Posts: 86

For some small cozy towns in Northern Italy, I'd go visit:

- Mantova (Mantua)- Italy's culture capital of 2016. They are known for their
- Cremona (Violin city)
- Brescia (very historical, there are ruins from the 1st century)
- Bergamo (beautiful hills and cathedrals)
- Lake Garda (An amazing place and you can take ferries to get to the smaller towns along the largest lake in Italy)
- Lake Oseo
- Verona (a popular one, but always lots of fun)
- Padova (Padua) - a nice uni town with lots of beautiful cathedrals
-  Bologna - not cozy but it's truly a lovely medieval city with the oldest university in Europe. The food is amazing there too.

Enjoy your Easter break there. smile

Board footer