#1 3-3-2017 8:52 AM

Jakarta, Indonesia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 558

Choosing the same/nearly the same name for your kids so can share tix?

Most airlines say that if the name on the ticket is one alphabet off, it would be forgiven.

Hence, I had a thought -- Have any of you considered naming your children similarly? In case one day a non-refundable/non-transferable trip needs to be cancelled but can be transferred because another family can use it instead.

Say if your name is April, why not name your kids Avril and Abril? or even April Jr.

#2 3-3-2017 10:54 AM

Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)

Re: Choosing the same/nearly the same name for your kids so can share tix?

Airline tickets ( non refundabable/transferable) cannot be transfer to another name even to family member, that's why when booking a ticket they asked to fill the name that shown in your passport

Last edited by shavy (3-17-2017 8:38 AM)

#3 3-17-2017 1:11 AM

NaomiS
Posts: 5

hightide wrote:

I think that it is not possible because while booking a ticket you have to fill out the form where you indicate the identity data of this person. Any other person is not allowed to take this ticket even if he/she has the same name (passport data will be different)

#4 3-17-2017 3:56 AM

planxty
Fergy
London, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 32

Re: Choosing the same/nearly the same name for your kids so can share tix?

I really cannot see that working and I am not sure that giving a child a name for life on the off chance you may have to transfer a ticket one day is a great idea.  Just think of the confusion in the home when mail starts arriving for A. Smith or whatever the surname is.

#5 3-17-2017 4:32 AM

sanfoodie
Sanjeev
Award: Happy Happy Happy
Posts: 33

Re: Choosing the same/nearly the same name for your kids so can share tix?

I fully agree with Planxty. First why unnecessarily create confusion for life for the sake of using tickets, secondly even within country while purchasing ticket some time DOB is asked or any other proof in order to establish the identity. Just recently in the month of december I lost lot of money against my family NYE trip booked to Kerala due to my father's critical health conditions. I produced all the medical certificates, surgery bills, hospitalisation proof etc but Airline did not refund the tickets nor gave any credit for future travel. It hurts but for that sake creating lifelong confusion is not agreeable plus why to think about it at an auspicious time of birth.

#6 3-17-2017 4:35 AM

CMTinPHX
Christopher
Phoenix, Arizona
Award: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: Travelpedian
Sightseer

Sarah Elaine
Globetrotter
Posts: 5759

Re: Choosing the same/nearly the same name for your kids so can share tix?

My son is an individual with a whole future, and I picked his name after literally months of careful thought on the matter. If he has siblings they'll get the same careful thought. The little people deserve to be named with thought to how their name will influence their life for the next 80 years, not how I might save a couple of hundred bucks in the next couple of years.

#8 3-17-2017 7:56 AM

gingerbatik
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IVAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)

Re: Choosing the same/nearly the same name for your kids so can share tix?

I assume, when we can afford to travel, we have money to spend and what is the meaning of one or two cancellation tickets because we can't use it and have our child as our name?? It was madness.  I believe the child name is precious and many people choose it carefully.

I have done my shares of unused ticket and it was for a long haul flights, and no sweat on it as I can always working and earn money to purchase a new ticket if the insurance didn't pay.
For examples, Singapore to New Zealand on return business class ticket with Singpore airlines which I only use one way -  and valid for one year but I forgot to use it.

Ana airlines from Singapore to Tokyo Japan - similarly I only use one way ticket as I have to go to another country from Japan and not use my return ticket - it was valid for one year as well (and I did it twice purchased return ticket to Japan and only used part of it).

Sydey Australia to Den Pasar Bali with Qantas airlines - similar problems and many of jetstar flights in New Zealand and Air Asia tickets from Jakarta to Bali which I did not use even it was prepaid.

Copenhagen to Riga Latvia return ticket which I did not even fly and I booked unrefundable hotel for 2 nights which cost a fortune at 4 stars hotel.

I dont think about those unused ticket until now, and when you don't think about money, the money will actually come to you.

So, no. i would not give my child name as the same as my name.  I believe in good luck and the name can bring good luck to the person who hold it but it can also bring bad luck if the name is not suitable for that person.

#9 3-17-2017 8:18 AM

Leonardtown, Maryland
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)

Re: Choosing the same/nearly the same name for your kids so can share tix?

My husband and I both have the same first initial and (as was usual when I was married) the same last name.  I will often just book things with the first initial and last name.   This works out OK for car rentals and hotels. But the airline will usually require the whole name.

I know several people that have named their children all with the same first initial and I find it quite irritating (Lynde, Lynette, Larry).  Even my own daughter named her children M.P. M.E. and M. P (Michael Paul, Mary Elizabeth and Mathew Patrick) - very annoying.

#10 3-17-2017 2:19 PM

FK27
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 370

hightide wrote:

Absolutely confusing, with implicit risks. If your daughter joins a terrorist organisation, you will appear on a no-fly list. If your daughter spends all her borrowed money on drugs, your credit card reputation may be affected.

During the 1800s, it was quite common for sons to use father's name - long before databases were established. This is a problem for contemporary genealogic research if you cannot distinguish two cousins sharing the same name.

#11 3-17-2017 10:30 PM

nolan
Posts: 3527

hightide wrote:

OK I can answer you this from a historical perspective.

During the days of booking with the travel agency and CRS (computerized reservation systems) directly, many of them had a name field restriction which could only accommodate a few characters. Thus some people with long combination of names (long last name, or first name, etc.) would see that their complete name while concactenated, would drop off a few letters. And there were people who named their children with the first name of the father, plus a second first name after this. I have at least two dorm friends who are named the same, one is III (the third) and the other is VI (the sixth). I even know someone from high school whose name was suffixed IX (the ninth), and he had more brothers after him. Nowadays though parents don't have as many kids and children seem to want to have an identity of their own rather than that of their father, grandfather or even great grandfather (aside from maybe John Rockefeller).

In the 90s, some travel agencies would be able to get away with typing "SURNAME, INITIAL.MR" and so on on the PNR (passenger name record). I objected to this practice but it worked for the ticketing consolidators whose agents would just type and issue tickets all day from their purchasing sub agencies. But many people could get away with "PASSENGER/N.MR" or "SMITH/J.MR" ... until the reservations systems modernized.

Nowadays you won't see passengers having the name information only but other unique identifiers such as date of birth, passport number and so on. So the chance of having tickets exchanged for a sibling or even a namesake are greatly reduced, practically to zero chance.

#12 3-18-2017 3:17 AM

Re: Choosing the same/nearly the same name for your kids so can share tix?

Thanks for the responses!

During purchase of ticket, passport number is usually an optional field and even if filled in, it doesn't actually have to match the passport number you show at check-in -- some people book flights before getting passport in hand while others have to change passport number due to expiration/passport gone missing.

Date of Birth -- We are not always asked this question although I see it coming up more and more.

Gender-- Doesn't have to match. When I booked tickets via travel agencies, the wrong gender has been chosen several times and it has not caused any problems during check-in.

Also, for domestic flights, children do not have to show ID when travelling with his/her parents.
For international flights, children can be added to parent's passport.

grandmar and Nolan: Interesting -- I suppose same initial and surname could be beneficial in some circumstances.

FK27: For credit cards, although possible, not likely because credit card applications do ask for National ID number/Social Security Number which airline tickets do not ask. Unless of course my DD passes my ID for hers.

#13 3-18-2017 5:18 AM

Re: Choosing the same/nearly the same name for your kids so can share tix?

I have not been asked for a passport number when buying tickets.  For domestic USA flights, we do not have to have a passport - we can use any photo ID.  I traveled to Europe when I was 12, and my parents saved money by putting me and my sister on my mother's passport.   This was a problem once when the porter on the train got the passports mixed up and gave us back the wrong one.  But I don't know if you can do this anymore.

I have traveled with grandchildren age 12-13 and it is true that the travel within the US he did not have to show any ID, nor did I have to show any proof that he could travel with me - that I wasn't kidnapping him.  In the other cases (four plane trips and one cruise), the only time I was asked for proof that it was OK for me to be traveling with a grandchild was in Heathrow on the way to Ireland.  I took grandchildren to Australia, Copenhagen, and Barcelona with absolutely no one being concerned that I had a child with me that was not my child.

#14 3-18-2017 6:01 AM

Re: Choosing the same/nearly the same name for your kids so can share tix?

Very interesting topic.................................... It is just clear- booking non refundable/transferable tickets are not possible to transfer to any person

I always booked our air ticket directly to an airline websites, I never use any brooker or agency when travelling, we organized all our trips.

I just booked our tickets with Iberia airlines for in December...........NOT all airlines need a passport number  they only need your complete name OF your passport......not even asked a gender and birth date

We can flying around Europe with only our ID

Our international passports are needed when flying out of Europe

As I have been traveled in many Asian countries, I've noticed, most Asian airlines specially those low cost airlines are not that strictly checking passports comparing in America and European countries. So this topic is hard to have the right answers big_smile

Last edited by shavy (3-18-2017 7:27 AM)

#15 3-18-2017 6:44 AM

We as European passport, we can flying around Europe with only our ID

big_smile

Not anymore.  You will need your passport to fly around Europe because of the refugee crisis.  the airlines check everything now and quite strict before we board the plane.

immigration in Malmo Sweden and Copenhagen still checking passport now.

#16 3-18-2017 7:10 AM

Re: Choosing the same/nearly the same name for your kids so can share tix?

We never carry our international passport when flying around Europe, there some people who carried their international pass, earlier this year the last weekend of January flying to Roskilde Denmark via Copenhagen, February to Hamburg Germany we haven't ask to show our international pass where did you get that idea?. Is common for non European passport to showed their international pass, however most refugees are crossing overland not flying wink

Last edited by shavy (3-18-2017 7:40 AM)

#17 3-18-2017 8:05 AM

shavy wrote:

I understand that European passport holder can travel without passport around Schengen areas, as they can show their European id, however when the refugee crisis start last year, many countries has closed their border and you need to show your passport.
It is good that you don't have to bring or show your passport. and I also read the news about the refugee develpment or other news around the world and most of the refugee are crossing overland, however some were flying and some of them still stuck inside the airport of some countries.

I live in Copenhagen Denmark and when we fly to other European countries, the airlines staff asked for the passport before boarding the plane, eventhough we don't need to go through the immigration.

#18 3-19-2017 12:50 AM

northlight
Jon
United Kingdom
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 1102

Are you serious??

#19 3-19-2017 1:33 AM

northlight wrote:

Are you serious??

My first statement - yes.

The other statements are open-ended questions.

#20 3-19-2017 2:03 AM

sarahelaine
Sarah Elaine
Globetrotter
Posts: 5759

hightide wrote:

Thanks for the responses!

For international flights, children can be added to parent's passport.

These rules vary country to country. Children in the UK have needed their own passport for at least ten years. We got our son one when he was a couple months old- it seems a bit silly when you look how he's changed- but those are the rules. Increasingly the IDs are scrutinised to prevent child abduction- a friend of mine has a different surname from her husband and her husband had to get a letter notarised by an attorney to be allowed to travel with the baby but without her. And I haven't been able to book an international flight departing the UK without providing a passport number for years.

On the naming children after parents thing, that does happen still. My father was John and so are all his ancestors we know about, apart from a few second sons called Thomas, and my husband is Iain and his dad was John (Iain is the Gaelic form of John). But not to save money, out of family tradition.

Last edited by sarahelaine (3-19-2017 3:55 AM)

#21 3-19-2017 6:55 AM

Re: Choosing the same/nearly the same name for your kids so can share tix?

The kidnapping thing was why I was surprised that no one asked me about my authorization to have the children with me.  The only time it happened was with my son's son and our last names are the same.   Maybe it is because I am an old woman rather than a man.  When my mother traveled with my children, I always gave her an authorization letter, but I think the only time there was a question was going through Checkpoint Charlie (back when Berlin was in East Germany).

In the US we do not have to have passports, but it hasn't been so long ago that they started making babies get Social Security numbers at birth.

There are several family naming traditions - my father's mother's family from Germany named all the boys with the same first name (Johann in their case) and then the first son was called Johann and all the subsequent boys were called by their middle name.  So my Great Uncle was John and my grandfather was Johan Ernst and was called Ernest.  His two sons were Johan Simon and Johan Lenhard, and the oldest one was Uncle Johnny and the second one was Uncle Leonard.

Around here (a very Roman Catholic area) many of the girls are named Mary or Margaret as their first name and are called by their middle name.  Until you read their obituary you would never know what their actual first name was.

#22 3-19-2017 3:43 PM

Holeydel
Award: Photographer IAward: Writer IIAward: Vox Populi III
Posts: 870

shavy wrote:

Nah it's not cos of the refugees. What it is, is Belgium like many other EU countries have mandatory national ID cards which you gotta carry with you at all times. They are sufficient also to be used for cross border travel within the EU, which is what you're referring to. Meanwhile us free folk in the UK don't have nor want national ID cards, so we go old school & use our passports when we have to go places.

#23 3-19-2017 3:48 PM

Holeydel
Award: Photographer IAward: Writer IIAward: Vox Populi III
Posts: 870

hightide wrote:

This I think is a brilliant idea, so much so I promptly changed the legal name of my kids. Sure, my little twin girls Dave and Dave are copping a bit of stick at school for their new names, but fortunately their older brother, Dave, has been looking out for them.

Dave

#24 3-19-2017 7:49 PM

Tommy743
Montana, United States
Posts: 14

Re: Choosing the same/nearly the same name for your kids so can share tix?

Might name my son Sue......it would help him grow up strong......can't see how it could go wrong

#25 3-19-2017 11:36 PM

trippin_jen
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 1047

Re: Choosing the same/nearly the same name for your kids so can share tix?

I understand that for Greek family, the 1st grandson will follow the grandpa's name and the 1st granddaughter will follow the grandma's name.

about grandmar's comment about kidnapping, I think they really don't check much on that - at least in asia. Cos I know there are grandparents traveling with kids and people don't usually care much.

My comments doesn't really reply to the thread topic, but i'm just saying. smile

Last edited by trippin_jen (3-20-2017 2:33 AM)

Board footer