#1 2-8-2017 12:13 AM

Dublin, Ireland
Couch Potato
Posts: 46

Air bnb Cuba?

Has anyone here from the EU (I'm Irish) used air bnb in Cuba as a tourist? How did you find it? Do you need an american credit card to pay, and give a false reason about why you are in Cuba (as in state that you're there for business or volunteering?

My friend and I are currently looking to book a private apartment (as opposed to staying in a casa) for ourselves in Havana for three nights at the end of our holiday in March. We are trying to use a website called www.havanacasaparticular.com as it allows you to filter by location and accommodation type. However we tried to book somewhere using this site and the apartment owner didn't get back to us for a week, then told us the apartment was unavailable, (even though the site said it was) and tried to fob a more expensive place onto us. We also found the same apartment listed on a different site for twice the price sad Seems the site isn't exactly guaranteed as you have to wait for someone to get back to you and the availability isn't accurate.

We were therefore thinking of using air bnb instead. I did see a lot of people ranting on Tripadvisor about how this isn't "properly Cuban" etc but at the end of the day we want to just have somewhere to stay guaranteed and get reliable service. Has anyone experienced using this? It seems you have to state your business in Cuba when you use air bnb as a foreigner and "tourist" isn't an option. I don't want to lie and say I'm there on business but is this something that is commonly done and no one checks or cares? Anyone any experience using air bnb in Cuba?

Or any other more reliable sites? Cubajunky seems to just advertise casas particulares and we are staying in a lot of them as well so wanted some privacy for a few days.

Thanks!

#2 3-14-2017 4:11 PM

Re: Air bnb Cuba?

I was using Airbnb last June in Cuba, payed with a Austrian credit card, the want you to write a bit, like 'I'm planning a 3 week round trip in Cuba...', I made  3 bookings,  they were OK, I had also a try one, there the answer was to late (Airbnb cancels the booking if no answer within 24 hours), the reason is the problem with the Cuban Internet. You have to pay the whole price as soon as you book, changing your booking is not cheap.

#3 3-14-2017 4:11 PM

#4 3-14-2017 4:23 PM

Re: Air bnb Cuba?

At that  it was only with Airbnb possible to book, you can book now also with booking.com and other sites. Personally I prefer other sites to Airbnb since it is very difficult to get the money back if there is a problem (had allmost a problem later in Jamaica when the host was to stoned to open the door...)

#5 3-15-2017 1:30 AM

gingerbatik
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IVAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer
Posts: 1978

Re: Air bnb Cuba?

I booked a casa particular through internet when I was in Cuba and stated my intention as a holiday and no problem at all.  My friend is from EU and he has no problem to enter Cuba either.  We spent 4 weeks there. However the immigration exit card actually asked how much we spent money on our trip when we exit Cuba.  and make sure bring a lot of cash as when I was there not many hotels or restaurants accept credit card.

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer