#1 3-11-2017 3:47 PM

l_ris
Couch Potato

What do i bring for a 2 month trip to Denmark?

i am going to Denmark for a 2 month trip , but i am unsure on what and how much clothes i should bring?
What should i bring?

#2 3-11-2017 4:37 PM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad

Re: What do i bring for a 2 month trip to Denmark?

Do not bring so much clothes to Denmark, you will find plenty of shopping malls there

#3 3-11-2017 11:47 PM

sarahelaine
Sarah Elaine
Manchester, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IVAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter

The most important thing to think about is time of year. Denmark is mild in the summer but can be cold and very wet in winter- if you're going in winter you'll need warm, dry layers. Technical microfleece, and thermal undies. And most importantly water tight boots or shoes and good socks.

Then, why are you going? You need different stuff if it's work experience to if it's total leisure, more kit of you're hiking than if you're mostly in cities. Are you moving place to place or based in one city? You can pack heavier of you're in one base than if you're moving about.

Then, you need to remember that you are going to have to do laundry anyway. No one can carry enough clothes for two months without laundry. So you might as well pack as if you're going for a week or two and accept you'll have to wash things. Are you staying in an apartment with a machine or are you depending on laundrettes? If the latter, bring old clothes- laundrettes are hard on delicates.

#4 3-12-2017 4:29 AM

stefmuts
Stefanie
Neerpelt, Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

That's too little info to give you a good advice so I can't do better than Sarahelaine already did
Maybe tell us a bit more, when are you going, what are you planning to see/do, are you camping or staying at hotel/hostel. someone's couch etc.

#5 3-12-2017 5:16 AM

gingerbatik
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IVAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

agree with Sarahlaine advice.
Whatever time you go to Denmark, you still need a jumper as the wind is cold here and hardly any sun except in August but mostly cloudly everyday and probably rain.

Do not bring too much clothes as you can wash it either in your hostel/hotel, apartment, or laundry machine. The best thing is to bring layer clothes so you can peel it if the sun come up and wear it when the cold wind blowing. you can buy clothes here however the prices is higher than other western countries.  There are cheap clothes at the supermarket such as føtex or kvickly however the quality is not good.

My favourite shop is "Magasin Du Nord" shopping center as they have everything and they have very nice stuff,but the price is expensive than other shops.

Please note Denmark is an expensive country to stay or holiday.

#6 3-12-2017 5:56 AM

l_ris
Couch Potato

i will be travelling from April the 13th and arriving back mid June. I'm on a school exchange staying with a family and majority of the trip ill be staying in Denmark with the odd weekend away to either Germany or Sweden. I will be staying just outside of Copenhagen Central. So far all I've planned to bring is some hoodies, a denim jacket, a wind breaker, and some jeans and shirts. But compared to Australia I'm not too sure if I'm completely under estimating the weather. Is it worth investing in a coat? How much should i be packing? Do i need to bring like gloves and scarves?

#7 3-12-2017 8:42 AM

stefmuts
Stefanie
Neerpelt, Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

Don't think you'll be needing gloves and scarves in april, it's springtime so average temperature will be around 10 Degrees Celsius going up in may and june. Take clothes for a week or two, a bit of everything, and things you can combine and peel off if it gets too hot or peel on when you're cold

#8 3-12-2017 8:43 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad

The Scandinavian weather can't be estimated. Beginning April start to warm up normally, so glove is not necessary. Hoodies can be useful.................It depends where you are in Australia if you came from the northern part which has extreme warm weather,  Denmark will be to cold for you, April is only around 10 degrees and has colder nights

#9 3-12-2017 9:00 AM

slothtraveller
Steve
Tamworth, England
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy Happy
Couch Potato

I agree with Belinda that you should just bring essentials such as those you have listed and buy things such as gloves, scarves etc if the weather is unseasonably cold. As others have said, the Danish weather is extremely unpredictable and you can sometimes see all four seasons in a day. Thin layers are a good way to go so you can either layer up or layer off depending on the weather. I'd definitely expect rain so a waterproof coat would be a good thing to take.
Remember if you buy clothes in Denmark, it is worth shopping around for bargains. Even in some of the smaller towns near Copenhagen, there is a major difference in price compared to the capital. Copenhagen prices are extortionate.

#10 3-12-2017 10:31 PM

trippin_jen
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

Your host family could perhaps give you a better idea on what weather to expect. I suppose even if you didn't bring enough clothes, you could still borrow from them or at least they could bring you get some from 2nd hand shops or as such if you're on a tight budget.

Agree with Sarah, you may also want to add in a piece of 2 of formal dresses/shoes in case you need to attend some functions.

#11 3-13-2017 2:41 AM

sarahelaine
Sarah Elaine
Manchester, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IVAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter

I don't know what prices are like inAustralia, but Denmark is expensive compared to the UK so I would not wait for Denmark to stock up. I would carry a coat anywhere in Northern Europe in April- it's still too unpredictable to count on warmer weather yet.

I carry a big cheap pashmina-style scarf (1mx50cm) even if I'm in the tropics! I've used mine as an emergency bag, to smarten up an outfit for a surprise night out, impromptu picnic rug- and sometimes to keep my neck warm when it's too warm for a coat but not warm enough to do without one wink

For that trip I would take one nice outfit- maybe flat shoes rather than heels for bag space- but one good dress/top and trousers won't weigh you down and it means you're ready if you end up somewhere special. I'd fling a smaller bag in for weekend trips- I can do a weekend on a 30l day sack, and that saves you trailing your big case away with you. I never go anywhere without flinging swimming stuff in a bag. It doesn't take much space up and you never know. For two months, I'd pack stuff for any hobbies you take seriously (I tend to throw running stuff in a bag). I'd still say your priority needs to be good, comfortable, waterproof footwear. And I'd be more likely to advice buying that in a country where you know the sizing and brands.

But people are right- anything you forget, you can get out there. And I never stayed anywhere for two months where I didn't end up shopping. You'll be fine. Have a wonderful trip!

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer