#1 1-21-2017 9:55 AM

Melissa
Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 63

Vietnam

I am looking at booking a trip to Vietnam for Christmas. I am a solo traveller and I was wondering if anyone could recommend somewhere to stay.

Ideally I enjoy places 'off the beaten path'. I like eco lodges, jungle lodges, tree houses etc. I am really hoping to find somewhere I can stay for a week but that provides excursions for an extra fee.

Thanks smile

#2 1-22-2017 7:08 AM

pfsmalo
Paul
Saint Malo, France
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Tourist
Posts: 108

Re: Vietnam

You could try a homestay up somewhere between Hanoi and Sapa, but it may be a little cold at Xmas. Phu Quoc is still pretty much off the beaten path for most travellers, and it would be warmer. There you could hire a bike or scooter and do your own thing on the island.

#3 1-23-2017 4:58 AM

davejo
david
Puerto Princesa City, Philippines
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug I
Posts: 90

Re: Vietnam

Take a look at Mai Chau valley, about 150 kms from Hanoi, or Bac Ha where you should try and catch the market on Sundays when the Flower Hmong come to trade. Bac Ha can be reached by taking the overnight train from Hanoi to Lao Cai then a 2 hr bus ride. The temperatures are cooler there as the town is at an altitude of 1000 m.
Mai Chau is in a beautiful valley where you can go cycling or trekking each day.

#4 2-11-2017 2:59 PM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Nomad
Posts: 814

Re: Vietnam

If you have a week, search somewhere warmer. Google is your best friend for finding those places

#5 2-12-2017 2:57 AM

Sept922
Award: Community LeaderAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster I
Explorer
Posts: 1646

Re: Vietnam

Vietnam is to big to just say.."for a week". So you need to research the country and the areas around the time of your stay. If you stay in one city like Ho Chi minh for example, people can be more specific with info.

#6 2-12-2017 10:05 AM

sugarose
Rossy
New York, New York
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer
Posts: 313

Re: Vietnam

I stood some days in Nguyen Shack close to Tam Coc. It was kind of pricey (my splurge on my bare bones backpacking trip) but i really enjoyed it. It was easy to explore around by bike or walking and i ended up hiring someone with a  motorbike for $20 a day and exploring all the awesome nearby sights. Of course, if you rent a motorbike it will be WAY cheaper you can also just cycle. The province is very popular especially Tam Coc but staying in the area and exploring on my own I definitely got some a good deal of solo time to explore rice paddies etc. I don't know about the weather in December but i think it should be fairly dry.

#7 2-13-2017 12:39 AM

maxx71294
Couch Potato
Posts: 1

Re: Vietnam

You should try Sapa, Mai Chau, Bai Tu Long or Phu Quoc island. Honestly, 1 week is quite short for a great and touristic country like Vietnam. Wish you all the best with your trip.

#8 2-13-2017 2:02 AM

googlybear
England, United Kingdom
Award: Happy Happy Happy
Posts: 53

Re: Vietnam

Sapa would be ideal in the north or if you want somewhere warmer, then try villages around the Mekong Delta

#9 2-15-2017 11:10 AM

nolan
Explorer
Posts: 3768

Capermel wrote:

Thanks smile

For a week, focus on one area like Northern Vietnam (Hanoi, Sapa, and Halong Bay), Central Vietnam (Hue, Da Nang, Hoi An) or southern Vietnam (Saigon, Mekong Delta area, Phu Quoc). Don't overdo things. 2-3 places maximum.

#10 2-15-2017 11:39 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Nomad
Posts: 814

Re: Vietnam

After we travelling in Vietnam for one month, we spent 4 days in Phu Quock. The island is all year round warm and off beaten path. No so much tourist came this way because is so remote, but I don't think you'll find eco lodges or tree houses in the island, most accommodations in Phu Quoc are resort hotels, hostel, maybe guesthouse, we spend our three nights in a resort

You can easily spend your one week in the island. This is a small place you can rent a scooter no traffic in Phu Quoc, I hardly seens cars except taxis. Northern Vietnam is cold in the December

#11 3-10-2017 7:46 PM

Kathy1990
Do
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Couch Potato
Posts: 1

Re: Vietnam

Hello, I'm from Vietnam. I just jointed in this forum some days ago. I have lived in Ho Chi Minh City. My purpose to joint in this forum are exchange English and find out information about Travelling. I so happy when hearing that you wanna travel to my country. If you wanna travel to Vietnam in December ( Chrismas ), I think you should spend your time to the North of Vietnam ( Sapa, Mai Chau Valley), you can get more great experience. If you wanna more information about Vietnam, please dont hesiate let me know. I can support you with all my knowledge.

Last edited by Kathy1990 (3-10-2017 7:50 PM)

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer