#1 3-9-2017 7:29 AM

Deborah
Long Island, United States
Couch Potato
Posts: 40

Neck pouch or waist pouch

Do you all prefer a neck wallet or a magnetic belt bag?
Specifically, for women which is more accessible?
Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

#2 3-9-2017 7:42 AM

sarahelaine
Sarah Elaine
Manchester, England
Globetrotter
Posts: 5998

Re: Neck pouch or waist pouch

Personally, neither. Both are obvious on my 5'2" reasonably skinny frame and so I'm not hiding anything, both involve undignified rummaging in my clothes in markets which absolutely advertises where my valuables are to any passing pickpockets. Both mark me as a tourist and therefore a soft target. And they are inevitably sweaty and itchy by the time I got home, back when I still bothered with them.

I carry a standard purse with a plausible but small amount of money, and hide an emergency fund and my credit cards separately in my backpack, hotel safe or clothes, depending where I am. In most travel destinations I go to that's all I do. If I'm somewhere remote or particularly prone to pickpockets   I wear hiking trousers with multiple zip pockets, and I hide the rest of my money and documents amongst those pockets. And these days I take out relatively little money in cash and mostly use atms. I keep my cards separate from cash. You'd have to be very unlucky to lose all your hidden stashes. Modern banks often have services where if you were really stuck you can get emergency funds from the ATM without your card- ask your bank if they offer that. And I've had more bags stolen at home than ever abroad- the big difference being you let your guard down at home. I keep my bag on my lap and sealed and I don't get drunk.

#3 3-9-2017 8:30 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Award: Most Helpful Hotel ReviewerAward: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster I
Nomad
Posts: 958

Re: Neck pouch or waist pouch

I use belt bag, because I'm small to wear it as belt I wear the bag cross over my shoulder. I don't carry big amount of money, only carry enough to pay public transport and for small things.

Don't carry your original passport with you make a copy of it, if you have an ID take it with you, sometimes when purchasing a ticket to some sights they need a passport or ID

#4 3-9-2017 11:49 AM

#6 3-10-2017 12:07 AM

planxty
Fergy
London, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Tourist
Posts: 164

Re: Neck pouch or waist pouch

Obviously, I cannot speak from a female perspective but I have used both types in the past and both have their merits and drawbacks.

The belt type is marginally safer I think but can get somewhat uncomfortable in hot and humid climates as it is right next to the skin.  The neck type at least allows a bit of "breathing room" however I understand it may present problems for ladies due to their natural protruberances, shall we say without wishing to be indelicate.

Frankly, either type are going to be a dead giveaway to an alert thief as soon as you start rummaging about for money, card or whatever.  Nowadays I don't bother.  I wear cargo pants or shorts and split things up in pockets that are either double buttoned or zipped, never velcro as it is too easy to get at.

I split my money up all over the place i.e. various pockets and whatever daysac I am using as well as whatever card I may need, passport in another place so an opportunistic thief will only get a portion of what I have.  If they have stolen from you in a non-violent way they are not going to hang around to try every single pocket, they are going to be gone asap.  This is not an ideal solution I know but more an exercise in damage limitation.  At least you won't lose everything in one go.

Obviously, there is little or no defence against the violent thief but that is just a risk you take every time you go out your front door, never mind travelling!

#7 3-10-2017 1:18 AM

stefmuts
Stefanie
Neerpelt, Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer
Posts: 1349

nolan wrote:

niradcan wrote:

This is interesting ... http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic … -snug.html

That just looks weird! But it might work for some
I don't carry much cash money and I just have my wallet in my pocket, in my coat: inside pocket, pants with zipped pockets or else I put it on a leash so it's not too easily grabbed http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=lea … llet+leash
All my other stuff is in my locked backpack

#8 3-10-2017 4:28 AM

ElenaKKKK
Elena
Ukhta, Russia
Couch Potato
Posts: 3

Re: Neck pouch or waist pouch

I tried both and both were bad for me,  in hot weather they are too visible (although I never pretend I/m not tourist as my photocamera says itself who I am), in a chilly period, it's a problem to use them because of coat, etc.   I always separate cards and money: normally in my pouch - 1 card with limited some and some cash. Another card and cash are in my backpack, other assets in a hotel safe (if any), or  "hidden" in a luggage  at hotel room (risky, but better this than nothing). I have daily  touristic  backpack, spacious  with multiple pockets inside normally filled with palantin, umbrella, papers,  cosmetic  and medicine bag and some other trash))), in other cases if I don't leave hotel for all day long I use my favorite middle sized bag "Packsafe" (Google this manufacturer), frankly, it's the only bag for me last 4 years, even at home))). I tried their city backpack and found it much less comfortable, from the point of security either:-\

#9 3-10-2017 4:37 AM

sanfoodie
Sanjeev
Award: Happy Happy Happy
Sightseer
Posts: 51

Re: Neck pouch or waist pouch

I do not know whether you guys agree with my opinion or not but as per my experience more you focus on something more likely it happens. It is very simple If you focus on happiness it grows if focus on sorrows or problems they grow. Because when something is focused you unintentionally create situations which are noticed by others. I have not travelled much abroad so far but within India i have travelled a lot to the places  which are notorious for these kind of crimes with lot of money  but never experienced any theft rather the people who kept their money bags to their chest were robbed. The only difference was I just kept my bag loosely and other person kept to his chest giving a clear indication that he has something valuable. I strongly believe that locks are not for thieves as they are capable of unlocking any lock rather these are for the common people so that they do not get lured with getting easy money and become thief. Take little precautions, distribute your valuables  and choose some thing which is easy to carry, that's all. Travel light and comfortable, this should be the moto.

#10 3-10-2017 6:23 AM

grandmar
RosalieAnn
Leonardtown, Maryland
Wanderer
Posts: 459

Re: Neck pouch or waist pouch

I use both in various ways.

First, I find that I can NOT carry anything in my hands or I will put it down and leave it someplace.  I cannot tell you how many times I have had to backtrack to find my wallet or some other item.  Although I require to have pockets in my clothes, pockets do not work well for me as things tend to fall out of them.  I do keep gloves and a hood in a zipped pocket of my warm coat, but if I put something in any of the pockets of that coat I have to be very careful to zip it back up or whatever it is will fall out when I'm getting in or out of the car.

I do not worry about trying not to look like a tourist.  I just try not to look like a rich tourist.

I have a SLR Canon camera that I wear everywhere, and I do mean wear as it is attached to a vest.  This is because I have arthritis in my neck and the camera is heavy and it hurts my neck.  The vest transfers the weight to my shoulders.

I also always wear a hat with a chin strap so it cannot blow off my head, and I wear glasses, so with that and the vest and possibly a cane, my body had lots of stuff going on about it and I do not really worry about whether people can see that I'm wearing a neck pouch

Two Scenerios - TRAVEL and WALKING AROUND  .

TRAVEL - not out for the day from a hotel but going from one place to another

If I am traveling with a large amount of cash (by which I mean flying or taking the train someplace where I don't have a place to leave said cash), I wear it in a shoulder holster kind of thing which goes under the bra and in my armpit.  It is sort of flesh colored fabric.  It is not easily accessible by anyone - even me, but that is it's function.  (funny story which I won't go into here)

Also when traveling, I have a passport carrier which hangs around my neck and has the passport, any tickets that I will need for that part of the trip, my cell phone, a credit card, a debit card and a small amount of cash for tipping.

I will also have a carryon bag which has my computer and all my medications for the trip plus usually extra underpants, a nightgown, and the cords I need to download photos and all that stuff, and a pocketbook which has my wallet (with no cash or credit cards) and the various things that women carry in their pocketbooks.  In the past I did wear a really BIG bum bag instead of having a pocketbook, but over 14 years the zippers have gotten worn so I no longer use it.  I never had a problem with pick pockets because I wore it in the front and there were small lanyards on the zippers which I would hook my thumb into when I was walking around.

WALKING AROUND - this is when my luggage etc is at the hotel and I'm just out for the day.

I am still wearing the camera/vest, and my hat, but my 'day money' and a credit card and a debit card and my cell phone are in the neck pouch - around my neck but hanging behind the camera vest.  So visible and easy for me to get to, but a thief would either have to grab it from my collarbone area (which I think I would see), or he would have to untangle the cord from the camera strap in the back.

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer