#1 2-4-2017 8:32 AM

Brooklyn, New York
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)

Morocco

My friend and I are thinking about going to Morocco and we are trying to pound out an agenda from our different interest. What were interested in seeing/ experiencing are:

- Chefchaouen aka Chaouen
- cooking class in Riads
- hammam (steam bath near mousque)
- Go to the Medina in the Djemma el Fna  at dusk
- Merzouga, at night (sleep in the Sahara)
- Majorelle Gardens in Marakessh
- Aït Benhaddou
- The Ourika Valley
- Setti Fatma Seven Waterfalls
- Ourzazate

So what I want to know is :

1. The means and general price of transportation(Within Marakessh, Fes, Casablanca, etc
2. Is Casablanca an overrated attraction?
3. We would be there for 6 days, should we just go to Marakessh and then whatever is close by or try for another major city.

#2 2-4-2017 9:28 AM

maykal
Michael
Saint Andrews, Scotland
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Bedbug I
Sightseer
Posts: 58

Re: Morocco

It depends where you fly into. if you're coming direct from New York, I guess it would be Casablanca. Using Casablanca as your start and end point, and bearing in mind you only have 6 days, I'd say either go south to Marrakech and spend time in the city as well as the surrounding area, or go north to Fes, Meknes and/or Rabat. trying to do both areas would be too much (for example, a train between Marrakech and Fes would take 7+ hours, similar by bus).

Most of the places you mention are in or around Marrakech, so thet's probably the region you should focus on. Ouarzazate is around 4 hours away, so that could be an overnight trip. Merzouga is even further away and would eat up at least 2 days of your trip getting there and back.

Chefchaouen is in the far north, so if you're going south to Marrakech, forget it. Even if you decide to go north instead, from Fes it is not a short journey. It's not actually that far from Fes, but when I went, there was no direct transport so it took most of the day to get there.

Casablanca - well, it's not the most beautiful city in Morocco, but I quite liked it. I mean, Fes and Marrakech are beautiful, but I found the constant hassle from touts and guides to be annoying. Casablanca didn't really have that problem, as not many tourists spend much time in the city centre, except to visit the impressive Hassan II mosque out by the sea. You could consider spending time in the capital Rabat instead, which is about an hour away, connected by regular trains (the airport is also on the same train line, so you could skip Casablanca altogether if you wanted). Rabat is also a fairly hassle-free city compared to Fes/Marrakech and has quite a lot of attractions.

Between the main cities, the trains are very good in Morocco. Comfortable buses also run on major routes, but I much prefer the train. For trips to smaller places (eg the places around Marrakech), you'll probably need to take a "grand taxi", sometimes like a regular taxi or sometimes a minibus, which leaves whenever all the seats are full. It's been a few years since I was in Morocco, so I'll let someone else tell you about prices.

#3 2-7-2017 5:41 PM

maykal wrote:

Thanks for the advice!

#4 2-8-2017 2:51 AM

stefmuts
Stefanie
Neerpelt, Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer
Posts: 1350

I really enjoyed Essaouira but you already have quite a list for only 6 days
I found Morocco cheap (compared to Belgium) I can't name prizes for taxi fares (don't remember exact so better say nothing right) just make sure you know the regular prizes before getting a taxi (at least in Marrakech) they tried to rip us off (15 became 50) but we didn't let them
Djemaa el Fna you should do at both day and night time, it's like two different squares
I didn't spend much time in Casablanca but my impression was: there are lots of better places in Morocco

#5 2-9-2017 7:43 PM

stefmuts wrote:

I really enjoyed Essaouira but you already have quite a list for only 6 days

Thanks alot!

#6 3-8-2017 8:59 PM

Sept922
Award: Community LeaderAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster I
Explorer
Posts: 1673

Re: Morocco

Will be there in May before Ramadan. Casablanca is on a train line with Rabat, Asilah, and Tangier so I think that will be my visit list this time though Marrakesh could come into play. I have 2 weeks so I am good and I know people there so that helps when I fly in to get me acclimated.

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer