#1 2-4-2017 4:40 PM

Getting to and tours of Waitomo/Marokopa/Natural Bridge

After about 10 revisions I think I have a good itinerary. I will be in NZ in May ( 20th - 28th) traveling solo by bus ( I debated a car but the cost of rental, gas, insurance and stress of driving on the opposite side of the road, I decided no)
I have no major issues getting where I need to be in good time except Waitomo.
You cannot get there directly from Auckland unless you are doing a round trip tour so I have 2 choices:
1. go to Hamilton and get a tour from there ( I had planned on spending night in Hamilton anyway) but thee are no tours from Hamilton. I found 2 companies who do could do it but they have minimum travelers and I am solo, so I would have to try and join someone elses tour.
2. take bus to Otorohanga and shuttle to Waitomo. There is one tour company but the tour stars at 9 and I can;t get there until 10:30. I emailed them a weekago but have not heard back from them
So my only options for seeing Waitomo seem to be 1. see if a local taxi will drive me or 2. see if I can find other tourists who have a car who are going where I want to and tag along
Does anyone have any other suggestions, I'd really love to see the falls and the natural bridge

#2 2-6-2017 12:18 AM

hightide
Fay
Jakarta, Indonesia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad
Posts: 631

Re: Getting to and tours of Waitomo/Marokopa/Natural Bridge

How about the Intercity Bus to Waitomo?
http://www.intercity.co.nz/cheap-north- … omo-Caves/

#3 2-6-2017 4:45 AM

Re: Getting to and tours of Waitomo/Marokopa/Natural Bridge

You can not get to Wwitomo directly from Auckland unless you are doing a Greatsights tour. The earliest I can get to Waitomo is 10:30. I am going to contact local tour companies and see what they can do for me but ultimately I think the only way I can get to Marokopa falls and Natural Bridge is to find someone in town with a car who is going there and get a ride with them,

#4 2-6-2017 6:58 AM

gingerbatik
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IVAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer
Posts: 1961

Re: Getting to and tours of Waitomo/Marokopa/Natural Bridge

alternatively you can rent a car for a day in Hamilton and go Waitomo and explore the places close by.  It is very close from Hamilton and the road is nice and big without much traffic.
All rental car has sticker on the dashboard - warning the driver to drive on the left side of the road:)
Or you can continue to another city with a rental car and then return it there.

btw, taxi is expensive in NZ

#5 2-6-2017 7:10 AM

Re: Getting to and tours of Waitomo/Marokopa/Natural Bridge

This does seem to be the best option - though I had hoped to not have to rent a car

#6 2-6-2017 8:13 AM

pinkpeardrops
Colchester, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Tourist
Posts: 112

Re: Getting to and tours of Waitomo/Marokopa/Natural Bridge

I agree either rent a car for the day or join backpacking groups on Facebook and ask if anyone is heading that way.

#7 3-8-2017 6:20 AM

gemmapurcell
Gemma
Posts: 41

Re: Getting to and tours of Waitomo/Marokopa/Natural Bridge

I suggest you for rent a car.

#8 3-8-2017 7:27 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Nomad
Posts: 827

Re: Getting to and tours of Waitomo/Marokopa/Natural Bridge

Rent a car probably the easiest way. If you rent a car for one day it doesn't cost that much. We rented a car in Christchurch and return to Auckland we have a nice trip around NZ. It only take a few minutes to learned drive on the leftside. NZ is very scenic for a road trip

#9 3-8-2017 9:33 AM

sanfoodie
Sanjeev
Award: Happy Happy Happy
Sightseer
Posts: 51

Re: Getting to and tours of Waitomo/Marokopa/Natural Bridge

Just enquired from one of my acquiantance since i hv not been  there. Renting  a car is better option. In my opinion driving left is far more easier than driving on the right. Just a personal experience since i drive in India on the left and while in Dubai on right.

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer