#1 7-28-2016 7:52 AM

lilgeekgirl
Frances
Doha, Qatar
Couch Potato

Nepal in mid-December?

Hi,

I'm planning on travelling to Nepal by mid-December and staying for maybe 5 or 6 days. I'm just going to do a bit of photography but no treks, if I can help it.

But:
(1) Is it worth going in December? Low season, hopefully, cheaper prices? big_smile But what about the weather?
(2) Is it better to book a tour ahead or will it be better if I ask for the hotel in Kathmandu to help me out?

Thanks for replying! smile

-- FB

#2 7-28-2016 8:20 AM

gingerbatik
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IVAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

Re: Nepal in mid-December?

not sure about the infrastructure in Nepal after the earhquake, you may want to check it before going.
Dec is cold as it is winter in Nepal, however if you dress properly, you should be okay.  You can buy coat or warm jacket in Kathmandu, plenty on sale.

For me, Nepal is very cheap and good value for money, so  not sure what do you mean with cheaper prices.
if compare with Europe, it is dirt cheap.

You can book the tour when you arrive in Kathmandu, plenty of travel agent in the hotel/guesthouses.

Hope that help.

#3 7-28-2016 8:25 AM

lilgeekgirl
Frances
Doha, Qatar
Couch Potato

Hi Ginger,

Thanks! I don't mind the cold.. smile

So, I'll just book a hotel and ask them to book a tour for me when I'm there.. smile

-- FB

#4 7-28-2016 8:27 AM

gingerbatik
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IVAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

yes, just book your hotel online and then when you arrive you can hunt for the tour or book it from your hotel:)

#5 7-28-2016 1:21 PM

guybooth
Lagos, Nigeria
Award: Community LeaderAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi IV
Explorer

gingerbatik wrote:

not sure about the infrastructure in Nepal after the earhquake, you may want to check it before going.

Can’t say I noticed any difference in infrastructure post-earthquake.

If not trekking, I really wouldn’t bother going - leave it for a time until you can trek.

#6 7-29-2016 12:23 AM

stefmuts
Stefanie
Neerpelt, Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

You don't need a tour for Kathmandu, just walk or hire a bike or taxi through the city, 2 days will be enough to visit the major sites and you can arrange a trip to Chitwan national parc from Kathmandu.
You can also go to Pokhara and do some activities like mountain biking or paragliding

For me the best thing in Nepal was the trek but I sense it's not your cup of tea ???

#7 7-29-2016 12:04 PM

lilgeekgirl
Frances
Doha, Qatar
Couch Potato

stefmuts wrote:

For me the best thing in Nepal was the trek but I sense it's not your cup of tea ???

You're right Stefanie. Not my cup of tea, for now. smile I just want to go there for a bit of travel photography.

It's going to be a while until I can trek. Need to shed the extra pounds. sad

#8 7-29-2016 4:11 PM

kvom
Kirk
Cumming, Georgia
Award: Photographer IAward: Writer IAward: Vox Populi IV
Explorer

As long as you're dressed for the weather you'll be fine.  Taxis will take you to the main sights, and may even decide to wait for you to exit, tourists being scarce on the ground.  Just make sure you know the local prices and are prepared to bargain.

If you find a hotel before arrival you can arrange to have an airport pickup, thus avoiding the hassle at the terminal gate.  Don't reserve for more than the first night.  If you don't like the hotel it's easy to change the next morning.

5-6 days is probably not enough time for a trip to Pokhara.  Other than the sights in KTM, you can visit Patan and Bhaktapur.  An early morning drive to Nagarkot to see the sunrise is a popular option, and on the way back you can stop at Changunaryan temple.

#9 8-28-2016 7:45 AM

pram12
Pram
Kathmandu, Nepal
Couch Potato

Hi, I just joined travbuddy and I think I am late for the reply.
However, as being Nepali , I think I can answer your question wink .

1) December will be cold especially in Kathmandu , however for other cities(like Chitwan,Pokhara) it will  be warmer. And regarding the price in those cities it is almost the same for food but for lodging it would be little bit cheaper. If price is a concern than instead of staying at the hotels you can look for home stays it would be lot more cheaper.
2)  Booking a tour wont be that good , you can plan as below for your trip.
Plan for 5-6 days in Nepal.
1) Day 1 , arrive in kathmandu , go for place SwyambhuNath, Basantapur Darbar Square , Patan darbar square,Bhaktapur Darbar Square ( all these places are close by so you can visit with in 4-5 hrs).
2) Day 2, travel to Chitwan from kathmandu. You will get lots of tourist bus at Kantipath(near to thamel) and most of them leaves kathmandu at around 7 am . So you will reach Chitwan by 2 pm. Than you can go for Wild life Safari and in the evening enjoy cultural events.
3) Day 3 , travel to Bandipur , it is around 2-3 hrs drive from Chitwan and you can stay there . You can enjoy views of mountains and hills (ideal for photography)
4) Day 4 , travel to Pokhara , it is around 2-3 hrs drive from Bandipur. Travel early and you can go for paragliding , enjoy the lake and lots of different activities ( town is really small so 1 day is enough)
5) Day 5 , stay in Pokhara or travel back to kathmandu.

If you dont want to cover to much of place than you can go for only Chitwan or Pokhara.

Thanks.

#10 8-29-2016 1:42 AM

AdventureTrekking
Dil
Thamel, Nepal
Couch Potato

Hello FB
December is not a peak season in Nepal but still good weather hanging around the cultural city, not recommending visit above 10,000ft. As you talking about photography should roam around the Kathmandu, there are such beautiful monument in Kathmandu valley which are listed in UNESCO world heritage as sites as well. Yes the Earthquake hit Nepal April 2015 but we are recover now, safe to travel Nepal. Few temple been destroyed in Kathmandu durbar square but still Kumari ghar is safe, you can see living goddess.
Weather will be pretty cool bit hazy and cold in the Kathmandu valley and get dark around 5-6 pm because December & January are the shorted day in Nepal.  Day temperature still in plus on December but it will be colder than as usual. You might get a cheaper accommodation, should check through online they often update off-season prices.
I think you should book your trip before you step in to Kathmandu that will save your time on board and stay far away from hassling in Kathmandu airport. If you planning to spend your 6 days in Kathmandu, You will probably visit following places
Kathamandu Durbar Square
Swayambhunath stupa/temple
Bouddhanath stupa
Pashupatinath temple
Bhaktapur Durbar square
Patan Durbar Square
Short day hike to Nagarkot then see sunset on Himalayan range
Walk around Namabuddha
Day trip to Kakani viewpoint
Take Cable-car ride to Chandragiri hill station
Hike around Pharping Hill
Visit Dakshin kali to see animal scarified
Visit Kritipur to take photo of the colorful puzzling house on sloppy hill
Butchering center on bank of Bishnumati river

Enjoy your photography holiday in Nepal
Cheers!!!

#11 8-29-2016 4:13 AM

stefmuts
Stefanie
Neerpelt, Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

lilgeekgirl wrote:

stefmuts wrote:

You're right Stefanie. Not my cup of tea, for now. smile I just want to go there for a bit of travel photography.

It's going to be a while until I can trek. Need to shed the extra pounds. sad

Nepal is a wonderful place for photography, you'll love it!

#12 8-31-2016 3:51 AM

shellymor
Shelly
Montreal, Canada
Couch Potato

I went there in December twice and yeah you can find rooms cheaper during low season. There are plenty of taxis in Kathmandu, you can visit all places on your own without booking any tour.

#13 9-1-2016 1:42 AM

vishaljoshi
Vishal
Manali, India
Couch Potato

Hi,

you need to check out the online portal for hotel booking. First of all please check out the reviews of that particular hotels or resorts. With the help of the same its easy to find best one.

Thanks

#14 11-6-2016 11:05 PM

triptoli
Rachit
Jaipur, India
Couch Potato

December is best season to visit mountain and hilly regions in Nepal. Weather is little cold in December there. It is such a beautiful place for photography.
Both options are good to travel Nepal, whether book a tour or just travel alone without travel plan. It is better to book a guide while trekking in Nepal for safety.

#15 11-7-2016 2:00 AM

lauro
Germany
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IVAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

i was in the first week of december in nepal and in kathmandu - the temperature hovers between above 10°c to 15°c in the day and in the night its really cold.

plus - you dont have electricity for 6-8 hours a day. it varies which part of the day - it can be early morning, afternoon or late at night. if your hotel doesnt have generator ask the reception - normally they have timetable for power shortage.

for the major sites - you can do them in one day - in a rush manner.

if you dont want to ruch - and if you have 5-6 days do two sites.

i recommend having a tour guide - coz i did that - he/she will explain the history and significances of the sites plus will answer your curious questions. get a very reputable one - not in the fly-by-night agencies. my tour guide has a license and studied tourism. i booked it together with my trek - so the prices are all included. i had a private car, a driver and the tour guide altogether around kathmandu.

my favorite is boudanath (looks lke little lhasa) and pashupatinath. these places are so worshipped and holy - the power of these places is just amazing.

#16 11-29-2016 3:31 AM

Jhon_Carter
Couch Potato

Temperature and visibility are good in December, though it can get very cold. You are independent girl then you can discover the beauty of Nepal yourself. Indra Chowk, Itum Bahal, Garden of Dreams, Asan Tole, Gupteshwor Mahadev Cave, Gurkha Museum, international mountain museum, national birendra art gallery, mustang eco museum, and stone inscription are the best attractions of Nepal.

#17 11-30-2016 12:58 AM

lipartyrides
Roberto
Freeport, New York
Couch Potato

i think in December snowfall occurred in nepal due to winter

#18 12-14-2016 4:54 AM

ademararau
Ademar
Couch Potato

Hi, Nepal is not snowing destination. But if you enjoying snow fall so you have to go Everest camp or annpurna camp.  In my information in mid-december nepal is peak season not lean season..

#19 2-24-2017 1:16 AM

ahana2607
New Delhi, India
Couch Potato

Between October to December is the best time to visit Nepal.

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer