#26 11-11-2016 11:14 AM

tenaka
Shane
Chicago, Illinois
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 159

MarioBG wrote:

All makes sense, thanks.

I do have a stupid question though, what is a 'packing cube' and 'dry bag'?

I like Nolan's idea of stuffing socks into the spare pair of shoes, never thought about that one. Also, I will roll my clothes instead of folding on my next trip and see if that works out better.

How do you pack button down shirts? Any special way to avoid creasing or just iron or steam at the hotel?

My travel backpack is 75L and I couldnt fit my luggage in it on my last trip haha. Had to use a wheel luggage bag which I dont really like to use. I like to have my hands free when I walk, to read a map or eat a sandwich smile

Packing cubes are little rectangular "bags" that you pack things in and then put inside your luggage, do a search on amazon for examples. The idea is that compressing things into the cube and then compressing the cubes in your luggage saves even more room. I have not used them so i don't know how much they save.

A dry bag is a bag that you can put things in and if it falls in the water, at least briefly, anything inside is safe. The ones I have the top rolls down and seals from the top. So I can put a camera in there, go kayaking, and have no fear of it being ruined if I happen to roll over. ... unless I have it out taking photos at the time. Mostly I use one as a day pack because then I dont have to worry about the weather.

I roll my button down shirts and dont have wrinkling problems. i think it probably has to do with the fabrics you choose in the first place. I have a general aversion to ironing at any point, so I am always buying shirts marked as wrinkle free or iron free.

#27 11-14-2016 2:01 AM

MarioBG
Mario
Johannesburg, South Africa
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 403

Re: Packing clothes

Awesome, definitely going to search around for some of those packing cubes and dry bag, that sounds like it could be useful

#28 11-15-2016 6:02 PM

Fitnessguru729
Joe
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 133

Re: Packing clothes

For two week trips, I usually bring 7 items of each and use the roll method and not fold. This way I can wash just once, if I can't wash I am still okay. 7 socks, undergarments, shirts, 2 pairs shorts, 1 pair jeans, 1 heavy top. One pair tennis shoes, one pair sandals. Two towels.

#29 1-10-2017 12:40 PM

nolan
Explorer
Posts: 3771

MarioBG wrote:

Over the past couple of months, I have continued to add to my stash of packing cubes. This time my focus is on the Silnylon material which is ripstop and more water resistant than the usual material used. The brands that are well known for this are Eagle Creek and Sea to Summit.

Here's a sample of the Eagle Creek Pack-It-Specter line:

#30 1-26-2017 9:54 AM

grandmar
RosalieAnn
Leonardtown, Maryland
Posts: 434

Re: Packing clothes

50 years ago, for a month trip to Europe, I traveled with a large handbag and a 20" suitcase without wheels as there were no wheelie bags then.  I think I had three pairs of shoes - one pair walking shoes, a pair of sandals and one pair of heels.  I had three or four nylon knit dresses and a powder blue chanel type suit, a bathing suit, stockings, a nightgown,  a sweater, a raincoat and appropriate underwear (like bras, underpants, garter belt and half slip).  Once when I had been traveling for 48 hours and felt hot and sweaty, I went to the bathroom of the train and washed out my dress in the hand basin, wrung it dry with paper towels in there, and put it back on and stood in the corridor until it was dry.  I had woolite and an elastic line that I could hook to things and  hang things to dry.  I relied on hotels for soap and shampoo.

20 years ago for a two week trip to Belize, I traveled with two soft side carryon bags.  For hot climates, I take only 100% cotton and no denim.  I was scuba diving so I had more equipment then usual.  This time I had 3 bathing suits, a long sleeved shirt, dive skin, a sweater, a sleeveless dress, two pairs khaki cotton trousers, socks, two shirts, two bras, two pairs of shoes, a pair of water sandals, a nightgown (which was a long T-shirt), a hat, a poncho, and about four pairs of underpants, and we washed things out as we went.  I also had a mask and snorkel (I rented fins as they took up too much room), dive computer, pocket knife, travel alarm, flashlight, film (20 rolls), underwater camera, regular camera, batteries, binoculars, umbrella, a felt type towel which could adsorb a lot of water and a plastic bag container for it, a dive light, goggles, disposable snorkeling cameras, medications, first aid kit,  and a bunch of travel information, tickets, vouchers and guidebooks.

The last trip I went on was in October and I drove to a cruise port so I did not have to fly.  Nine day Caribbean trip where I had to take both a Halloween costume and a formal dress.   In addition to those things I had two pairs of trousers, two skirts, three dresses, 6 tops, 2 swimsuits, a nightgown, a sweater, 6 pairs of underpants, and 3 pairs of socks.  I was wearing my coat, my hat and a skirt and blouse

Last edited by grandmar (1-26-2017 9:55 AM)

#31 1-30-2017 1:10 PM

Darfsteller
Das
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Award: Community LeaderAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi III
Nomad
Posts: 501

Re: Packing clothes

Packing advice is given sometime that says to put out all you want to take, then only pack half of that. Some philosophy is that all you want is not the same as all you need.

#32 1-30-2017 2:43 PM

kanadakid
North Bay, Canada
Couch Potato
Posts: 2

Re: Packing clothes

2 T shirts, 2 shorts, 2 underwear, 2 swim trunks, I tank top 2 socks, 1 pair beach sandals. Once I get to my destination I usually shop at "Savers"/Value Village, thrift stores or Wal-mark for clothes along the way anyway.

#33 1-30-2017 2:44 PM

NickelP
Nicole
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi IAward: Spambuster I
Posts: 112

Re: Packing clothes

Some great tips here! I'm new to travelling as well and I know I took way too much when I went on my Europe trip and tend to be an overpacker even for local trips, so these will help when trying to pack for my Peru trip.

#34 1-31-2017 5:19 AM

MarioBG
Mario
Johannesburg, South Africa
Posts: 403

NickelP wrote:

I've noticed that with every trip I pack less and less clothes and other things in general. I guess im getting used to what i will actually wear and what I need to take with me.

#35 1-31-2017 6:39 AM

grandmar
RosalieAnn
Leonardtown, Maryland
Posts: 434

Re: Packing clothes

I have a generic packing list in a little text file in the computer.  If I'm going on a cruise where I will have to dress up, I add formal clothes.  If I'm going to Holland in March, I add extra sweaters, gloves, raingear and wear a heavy coat.  If I'm going to a tropical place I will add swimsuits, dive skin, underwater camera and snorkeling stuff and I cross sweaters and sweatshirts or fancy dresses off the list.

Over the years I have made lists, and when I come back from I trip, I note what I didn't take that I needed and what I took that I didn't need.  So the generic list has come from those lists.

#36 2-21-2017 4:37 AM

77LoveLife66
Dublin, Ireland
Couch Potato
Posts: 21

Re: Packing clothes

Bring as little as possible mate, and then just pick up new/ cheap clothes as you travel.
You want to keep the load light.

#37 2-21-2017 6:07 AM

harbinger
Cathy
Brussels, Belgium
Award: Vox Populi I
Posts: 167

Re: Packing clothes

There's some really excellent advice here.  Which I would be wise to follow, as even after all these years of travelling, I'm still a really useless packer.
However, the one tip that I would offer is to bring a set of lightweight thermal underwear.  They weigh nothing, dry quickly, and can double as PJs, T shirt and leggings in an emergency.  Oh, and you can even wear them under your clothes should you get cold wink

#38 2-21-2017 10:33 AM

nolan
Explorer
Posts: 3771

Re: Packing clothes

I have a paid app called Closet+ that allows me to keep track of my clothes and other travel related items. It can sort them into subcategories that you choose, including outfits, assign a wardrobe or closet per person, and so on. It even computes the per use cost of a piece of clothing, of course assuming you meticulously log what you wear each day.

It is really suited for those who have more than 30 pieces of clothing and like to experiment with their wardrobe while keeping track of this but there is a free version of the app for those with far less than 20 or so items.

#39 2-21-2017 11:15 PM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Nomad
Posts: 828

Re: Packing clothes

This is very interested topic, great tips for packing
I'd try to pack light for three weeks, but end up overweight

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer