#1 1-15-2017 11:49 AM

hightide
Fay
Jakarta, Indonesia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad

Which area to stay in Melbourne?

I plan to ride the Skybus from MEL airport that goes to Southern Cross Coach Terminal/Spencer St. Would basing myself at a hotel in that vicinity be a good idea?

#2 1-15-2017 11:11 PM

tour_guy
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad

Re: Which area to stay in Melbourne?

I stayed here: http://www.travbuddy.com/Bayview-Eden-v132670#296037

Hotel is not within the CBD area, but I remember it was only about 10mins by tram to CBD. You will find more information on that review.

#3 1-15-2017 11:39 PM

hightide
Fay
Jakarta, Indonesia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad

Thanks for the info Tour Guy smile

Is it close to the free tram or the paid tram?

#4 1-16-2017 3:55 AM

tour_guy
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad

hightide wrote:

Thanks for the info Tour Guy smile

Is it close to the free tram or the paid tram?

I knew about the free tram and I guess it was on the same line, but I never used it. I just used the paid tram with myki card due to frequency.

You will take the tram to Flinders street/Federation square. That's the CBD area and it is connecting place to various trains/trams/buses. You will be able to walk from there to Yarra river, Olympic park, sports arena, shopping, food , China town and many more.

Last edited by tour_guy (1-16-2017 4:20 AM)

#5 1-20-2017 8:15 AM

gemmapurcell
Gemma
Couch Potato

CBDis the best place to stay in Melbourne. Its about a 10 min walking distance to fitzroy. Most of the restaurants are at the top end of the city and the choices are decent and great. You can travel really fast to all the areas ahead. You’ll get inexpensive accommodation too just from the supply.

#6 1-23-2017 5:04 AM

davejo
david
Puerto Princesa City, Philippines
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug I
Sightseer

We were there in July for a few days but we stayed at King Street Backpackers where we got a basic double room for an economic price. Excellent area to stay, right next to the free tram and 100-200 m from the Skybus station. From Melbourne CBD you can spend 4 days just visiting the nearby attractions on foot.

#7 2-15-2017 9:36 PM

michaelpope
Australia
Couch Potato

West City Motel is just 16km from Melbourne CBD. We were there in April and had very good experience.
http://www.arrahotels.com.au/west-city-motel

#8 2-15-2017 10:43 PM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad

Check the area of South Yara or Richmond, the sky bus may not go diectly there, but you can connect to a train or tram. Is a bit quite area, but convenient for train and trams

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer