#1 12-27-2016 12:31 PM

Suusj
suus
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 1200

Zanzibar day trip to Tanzania

We are looking for a little get away somewhere near the end of march. Zanzibar came up and I was wondering. Has anyone ever gone to Zanzibar and doing a day (or 2 day) trip to the mainland of Tanzania.
Is it doable?
Is it worth it (money wise).
We will be traveling with our daughter (she will be almost 3 years old by that time). Anyone ever traveled with a toddler to Africa?

I would like to chill and relax for a bit. But also, I would like some adventure and being so close to the mainland, I would really like to go and visit Amboseli (or another wildlife park smile ).

#2 12-27-2016 1:41 PM

TravelingChris
Chris
Pemberton, New Jersey
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi I
Tourist
Posts: 111

Re: Zanzibar day trip to Tanzania

Just stay at Sea Cliff Resort in Zanzibar and relax for a few days. Take a taxi to the Rock Restaurant on the east coast. You can also book a day trip to Prison Island to the tortoise sanctuary. If you're not going on a safari then there's little reason to go to mainland Tanzania in my opinion anyway smile

#3 12-28-2016 12:31 AM

EEEhehehe
Aljaž
Vipolze, Slovenia
Sightseer
Posts: 70

Re: Zanzibar day trip to Tanzania

Trip from Zanzibar to mainland is easy as theres plenty of cheap flights to anywhere in Tanzania. Safari would be a great option, not very suitable for a small child though.

#4 12-28-2016 5:54 AM

pilgrim68
Chris
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IV
Posts: 1357

Re: Zanzibar day trip to Tanzania

For a day trip,no it's not worth the effort in my opinion. Plenty of stuff to see and do on Zanzibar itself. Try Mercury's bar for sundowners overlooking the Indian Ocean for a good night out.
http://www.zanzibar-travel-guide.com/br … bradt=1784

#5 12-28-2016 11:11 AM

Suusj
suus
Posts: 1200

Re: Zanzibar day trip to Tanzania

So cheap flights are there. plenty of them. EEEhehehe, whats the reason you wouldn't take a toddler on a safari? She loves wild animals. I found the gamedrives we did in Kenya to be very full of wildlife (so no really slow or dull parts).

Pilgrim68, I agree one day would be way to short. Maybe more like a day or 2 / 3? Zanzibar itself will be amazing. But being so close to the mainland... The wildlife is so close by, I would love to see that again (and share it with our daughter ).

Travelingchris, Prison Island is high on the list!

Well nothing decided yet (hope that will be soon!). Thank you all for reacting in my post smile.

Last edited by Suusj (12-28-2016 11:12 AM)

#6 2-6-2017 1:33 PM

DAO
Wakefield, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Couch Potato
Posts: 47

Re: Zanzibar day trip to Tanzania

As stated above, you can do Prison Island. You can go to Pemba on a night Ferry (someone has to stay awake due to thieves being on the ferry). You could go to Dar Es Salaam. Everyone I know says it is a s***hole of a city.

If you are on the idyllic island of Zanzibar - stay there. Do the lunch boat to Prison Island and explore the East Coast.

Again, as stated above, you could go on a wonderful safari - but that needs a good week or two.

Enjoy Zanzibar.

Manchester, England
Globetrotter
Posts: 5948

Re: Zanzibar day trip to Tanzania

I spent six months in Uganda and came home when I was pregnant. We talk a lot about whether or not we would go back to Africa for a safari with our son. For me, the deciding factor would be distance from the airport to the safari, and whether we could get hold of a car or a tour company with decent safety features. Inside a park I have no doubt a three year old could love the experience but the biggest safety problem in Africa is the crazy roads. I would also want a vehicle with AC so we could keep tsetse flies out and I'd want to be very sure wherever we were staying had excellent mosquito nets - for a child I may even carry my own so I could guarantee no tears- good mosquito repellent and light coloured long loose clothing.

Last edited by sarahelaine (2-6-2017 11:54 PM)

#8 2-7-2017 3:10 AM

MarioBG
Mario
Johannesburg, South Africa
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer
Posts: 403

Re: Zanzibar day trip to Tanzania

Zanzibar is one of the more popular tourist destinations from my part of the world. I have personally never been but all my friends who have say that it is like a cheaper version of Mauritius.

I have also heard that you dont need any vaccine injections but I would double check just in case.

#9 2-7-2017 10:35 AM

sarahelaine
Sarah Elaine
Manchester, England
Globetrotter
Posts: 5948

MarioBG wrote:

Which is a really good point. And check *separately* for vaccines and health checks for mainland Tanzania - plenty of islands and coastal regions have fewer disease risks than inland areas.

#10 2-13-2017 1:56 AM

EEEhehehe
Aljaž
Vipolze, Slovenia
Sightseer
Posts: 70

Re: Zanzibar day trip to Tanzania

When i was in Seregeti and Ngorongoro it was very long distances to cover daily, rough roads and looots of dust (and mud when rainy). If you wear a white t-shirt, at the end of the day it will be yellow from dust. Of course there is also lots of heat and everything is far from comfortable. I totally loved it, but i maybe wouldnt reccomend it for a toddler. Maybe there is some more luxury options with better vehicles, more genlte drive and nice hotels on the way, that might be ok.

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer