#1 10-6-2016 7:34 AM

Troy, Michigan
Award: Critic IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 425

Need help deciding a beach location in Australia

Heading to Australia in November and I would like to find a beach spot for about a five days. I"m already going to Byron Bay to surf for a few days so I am looking for a second beach spot for some swimming, snorkeling and a bit of fun.

Any advice would be helpful.

Last edited by cthunder86 (10-6-2016 7:35 AM)

#2 10-8-2016 9:20 PM

monkeymia79
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 209

Re: Need help deciding a beach location in Australia

Do you have a rough itinerary yet William? Where else are you travelling to?

Ive just got back from Noosaville and Fraser Island in Queensland. Would highly recommend both of these places however I'm not too sure about snorkeling on Fraser Island.

#3 10-9-2016 7:45 AM

Melanie,

I just read your blogs (very enjoyable) so it kinda gave me an idea that I would do Brisbane for a few days and then Sunshine Coast/Gold Coadt for a few days since it's so close.

I have about 10 days in Australia so I was planning:
Weekend in Brisbane
3 days in Byron Bay
2 days at Sunshine or GC

That leaves me four days at another beach location.

I'm leaning towards Cairns to see the Reef and Daintree park.

#4 10-9-2016 11:44 PM

monkeymia79
Posts: 209

Re: Need help deciding a beach location in Australia

From Cairns you'd be able to do a day trip to the Great Barrier Reef also.

I haven't been to Cairns so I can't personally recommend it but we've decided in the not too distant future to travel to Cairns or Port Douglas as we loved Noosa. I would love to see further north and see the Great Barrier Reef.

P.S. Thank you for your lovely comment on my blogs. I hope to get my Noosa blogs up soon.

Last edited by monkeymia79 (10-9-2016 11:46 PM)

#5 1-3-2017 10:47 PM

evan_alessandra
Posts: 2

Re: Need help deciding a beach location in Australia

I am also heading to Australia (Adelaide), for studying Theology. I will be living there for next few years and will land there most probably before this New Year.

Being a travel buff, i was preparing  to do itinerary for myself so have been researching about life in Adelaide and other Australian cities and exciting things for international students like me. I am looking for more information on the above as well as planning how i will stay in Adelaide. Any information will be appreciated.

#6 1-4-2017 12:54 AM

TravelingChris
Chris
Pemberton, New Jersey
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi I
Posts: 111

cthunder86 wrote:

Any advice would be helpful.

If you fly up to Hamilton Island in Queensland you can get the ferry to many points in the Whitsundays. It is absolutely beautiful. You can even do a "reef sleep" where the Cruise Whitsundays company has a pontoon right beside the GBR that you can sleep on overnight under the stars while SCUBA diving or snorkeling the reef during the day.

#7 1-26-2017 1:12 PM

travmavalexis
San Francisco, California
Posts: 30

Re: Need help deciding a beach location in Australia

I would see The Great Barrier Reef. Yes, it's cliche, but it's dying at an alarming rate. It might be completely dead in a few years, for all we know. Have a good trip!

#8 2-2-2017 9:52 PM

gemmapurcell
Gemma
Posts: 40

Re: Need help deciding a beach location in Australia

You should go to the Whitsunday Islands.The Whitsunday Islands form a part of the Great Barrier Reef. You can visit verious beaches there.

#9 2-5-2017 11:40 PM

falzehope
Auckland, New Zealand
Award: Vox Populi II
Posts: 284

Re: Need help deciding a beach location in Australia

Western Australia has the astounding beaches and off the beaten track ones. stunning.
and i like the Coral Bay Reef compared to Great Barrier Reef. but that's just me. smile

#10 2-6-2017 12:02 PM

gillybob
Award: Critic IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug I
Posts: 42

Re: Need help deciding a beach location in Australia

Given your other planned stops, I'd be inclined for Cairns or the Whitsundays - the latter being closer to your other stops so it depends on how you intend to get around and the time to do so.

I would, however, echo the recommendation for Western Australia (maybe give it consideration for a future visit).  The reef around Exmouth is much more accessible as it is a fringing reef.  It's also a lot less visited and not dying off like the Great Barrier.

#11 2-7-2017 1:50 PM

Re: Need help deciding a beach location in Australia

Okay guys thank you for all the recommendations smile

I ended up doing Brisbane for the weekend followed by a couple of days on the Gold Coast.  The rest was spent at Whitsunday Islands from Arlie Beach.

I have my report half written so I hope to get it done before i go on my next trip smile

#12 2-9-2017 9:03 PM

gemmapurcell
Gemma
Posts: 40

Re: Need help deciding a beach location in Australia

Western Australia is the best option for you.

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer