#1 12-19-2016 11:33 AM

sugarose
Rossy
New York, New York
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

Torres del Paine gear- what do i need?

So I am doing the W trek in march I am camping the entire time. Before/afterwards spending another week traveling around Brazil/Chile (not camping environments).

I am struggling what to pack for this trip since I honestly have never done a solo trek this long! I am trying to keep it light, however, I want to be prepared. I do not want to spend amount of money on gear so recommendations are welcome! Would love to hear from camping girls especially about their list of essentials

So far I have:
Gear:
Kelty Salida 2 tent (4.5 lbs)
cheap blue drop cloth (for tent)
LED headlamp
MalloMe Mess Kit (under 1lb)
Sony camera (point and shoot)
Pocket flashlight
small foldable backpack
small microfiber towel
Survival Hax filter (also has whistle and compass)

Clothes:
Hiking Boots
Champion S9 Puffer jacket
Grey Fleece
2 pair SmartWool medium socks
Beanie
light flipflops
1 moisture wicking shirt

Thinking of the following:
Teton Sports Tracker 5F Sleeping bag (on shopping list but will take other suggestions under $80)
Camping Trowel
Biodegradable soap (what size, what kind?)
MSR PocketRocket stove
Stansport camping mat
Tactical folding knife
Sleeping bag liner
Bowink Female device (seems strange but I am curious)

How much clothes do i need?
Waterproof pants worth it?
Can i just wear regular performance workout pants?
Anything else you consider essential?

#2 12-25-2016 10:09 PM

Rodstone
Charneca, Portugal
Couch Potato

Re: Torres del Paine gear- what do i need?

Hi Sugarose!
Did the W trek in 2012 (middle of April), sleeping in  the refugios and one thing you should really consider is renting some of your equipment (like tent, sleeping bag, mat and all sorts of cooking utensils) in Puerto Natales (the town from where you will probably go to Torres del Paine).
Theres a hostel in Puerto Natales (Erratic Rock)) offering free public afternoon briefings 2 or 3 times a week i guess, with lots of valuable info about the W trek and basically all you need to know about it, including what to take and take not.
Definitely worth to hear the speech, you can also make questions, have a drink there, meet people who are going in the same direction and rent some of their equipment as well as from a few stores in small Puerto Natales.
Also a good idea to take waterproof pants as rain is most likely to fall and wind is almost permanent.
If you are staying at camping sites make sure you book a space in advance or check first before you get there.
Hope that helps out somehow.

#3 12-28-2016 9:40 AM

sugarose
Rossy
New York, New York
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

Thanks on the waterproof pants idea. I am camping all the way and taking my personal tent, sleeping bag, mat and cooking stuff. One because my stuff is probably lighter, i know how to set it up and it will be way cheaper for me to buy and use it for other trips. I think i will rent the trekking poles.

I am definitely planning on going to the Erratic rock session. I am trying to find out before i leave the US because i want to rent as little stuff as possible.

I booked all my camp sites so far minus one!

What kind of food stuff did you take or did you eat at the refugios? I am vegetarian so i really dont want to end up with some nasty food.

Rodstone wrote:

Hi Sugarose!
Did the W trek in 2012 (middle of April), sleeping in  the refugios and one thing you should really consider is renting some of your equipment (like tent, sleeping bag, mat and all sorts of cooking utensils) in Puerto Natales (the town from where you will probably go to Torres del Paine).
Theres a hostel in Puerto Natales (Erratic Rock)) offering free public afternoon briefings 2 or 3 times a week i guess, with lots of valuable info about the W trek and basically all you need to know about it, including what to take and take not.
Definitely worth to hear the speech, you can also make questions, have a drink there, meet people who are going in the same direction and rent some of their equipment as well as from a few stores in small Puerto Natales.
Also a good idea to take waterproof pants as rain is most likely to fall and wind is almost permanent.
If you are staying at camping sites make sure you book a space in advance or check first before you get there.
Hope that helps out somehow.

#4 1-24-2017 5:04 PM

Rodstone
Charneca, Portugal
Couch Potato

You welcome.
I took some dehydrated meals (not vegetarian though), lots of cereal bars, different kinds of nuts, some fruits, and also had breakfast and a hot soup at dinner in the refugios.
For the stuff to take, i guess you got all you need and like i said if there's anything missing you still have Puerto Natales to help.
As for clothes it depends obviously on the number of days you'll be around TdP.
Always remind the weather is the most unpredictable you can get, like the 4 seasons in a day (at least when i did it).
Going in March you probably get more clear skies and more sun than i did, but rain can fall everyday still and wind will surely blow strong most of the time.
Consider taking the warmest sleeping bag you can find for the nights out as they can get extremely cold.
Most of all, open all your senses to one of the most amazing experiences in your lifetime and remember you can drink pure water from every single stream you find along the way on that breathtaking piece of heaven.

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer