#26 1-19-2017 1:50 AM

CMTinPHX wrote:

EmyG wrote:

For me the pics from a cellphone will never be good enough.

Could those of you who feel this way explain, specifically, what is inadequate about cell phone cameras? Is it file size (my Samsung S5 goes up to 16M)? For outdoors, the flash is irrelevant. Cell phone cameras can provide seamless metadata that a digital camera can't. Is it the way a cell phone is held? Is it a question of using the camera in or near water? Or are we still talking digital versus film? I'm no shutterbug but I don't get the haughtiness about it.  :-)

This may sound funny to some, but the reason I am hesitant at times to bring out my iPhone for taking photos is that there is a great risk of it being stolen from right out of my hand when I take a photo. I have a TB friend (she's not active on the forums though) who had her iPhone snatched from her hands while in the busy streets of the city best known for its millions of motorbikes. Two people came up to her on a bike, and grabbed her iPhone and took off with it.

I am not worried anymore about getting the iPhone dunked in water, as the latest variant is IP67 rated.

So now because of this I am looking for a more traditional digital camera (point and shoot, but not DSLR) to use when visiting that said city so I will minimize pulling out my iPhone. At least if it gets stolen it's not practically all of my digital life of the past few years that I will need to restore from my Cloud storage. And yes, to quote one of the well traveled TB friends I have met here - bring a big (DSLR) camera and a small (point and shoot) camera. And just take a lot of photos. If you lose one, at least you have photos on the other.

#27 1-19-2017 2:25 AM

alexpatric
Alex
Dubai, United Arab Emirates

Re: How do you prefer to take travel photos?

I prefer Sony Handcam. Quality and Great Photos make trip more memorable.

#28 1-20-2017 6:34 PM

Solomatrix
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 2362

Re: How do you prefer to take travel photos?

iphone for food or pics from places where it wouldn't be practical to use a camera. camera for everything else.
recently picked up a full frame mirrorless camera and it makes my cellphone camera's pics look like crap lol

#29 1-23-2017 5:47 AM

TrueScandinavian
Jon
Posts: 3

Re: How do you prefer to take travel photos?

I'm late to the party, but I'll answer non the less.

I use both my phone and a DSLR. My phone is good enough and non intrusive when I'm for example out at a restaurant with friends, but I find it lacking somewhat when trying to capture architecture, landscape, timelapse or anything a bit nore advanced.

I find a good DSLR gives me more control, and slows me Down when taking Pictures. Slowing Down Means I think more of the composition, angles and stuff that make me make a better Picture.

Finally I look at phone Pictures more like documenting, rather than photographing.

#30 1-25-2017 9:42 PM

Re: How do you prefer to take travel photos?

A couple of times I have been in a heavy rain situation where I was afraid to take out my SLR camera and just used a cell phone.  One time was in Costa Rica in a boat and we saw toucans and monkeys in the tops of trees and I couldn't get a photo of them with the cell phone.  I couldn't even see very well because my glasses were wet and I didn't have anything dry to wipe them with - besides which I would just have to dry them again as it was raining. (I had the SLR in a ziplock bag inside my jacket inside my raincoat).

I started out with a film camera in 1958.  That's what I used for everything. It had a good lens and took good photos.  I got my first digital camera in 2000.  I got an iPhone in 2013.  I don't use the iPhone unless for some reason I don't have my Canon (EOS Rebel T3) camera with me.  The phone is good in reasonable good light for stuff that isn't too far away.

#31 1-28-2017 11:51 AM

stefaniegreen
Stefanie
Jamestown, Pennsylvania
Award: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: Spambuster I
Posts: 65

Re: How do you prefer to take travel photos?

My digital camera and my cell phone are the only things I use for taking travel pictures.

#32 1-30-2017 2:55 AM

Toonsarah
Sarah
London Borough of Ealing, United Kingdom
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 43

Re: How do you prefer to take travel photos?

For me photography is a passion, and taking photos on a trip one of the most enjoyable aspects of travelling. I use my phone on occasion - easy to take out in the evening when you probably only want to photograph restaurants and food (I take my main camera though if anticipating anything more interesting) and also more discreet sometimes for candid shots. Otherwise I use my trusty Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200. It's lighter to carry and easier to use than a DSLR (I used to have SLR cameras in the pre-digital era but have had enough now of fiddling with lens changes while my chosen subject disappears!) It has a fantastic lens for its price-bracket and size and can be used in fully automatic mode on occasion, or fully manual, or somewhere between the two.

The advantages of a "proper" camera over a phone for me are:
1. much better zoom, especially for wildlife but also people shots in a crowd
2. capacity to adjust how the photo will look, depending on the subject matter - e.g. I like to have a very shallow depth of field on many of my shots, which I can't get on the phone
3. higher quality resolution, meaning that I can sell some photos (I use Dreamstime - doesn't make me much money but I enjoy the thrill of a sale just the same!)
4. copes better in poor light without needing a flash (the latter kills atmosphere and is also banned in many places such as churches and museums)
5. has a viewfinder which makes it easier to see and frame a photo on bright days
6. easier to hold steady and level - and can fit a tripod on the (very rare for me) occasions when needed

I could probably think of more, but for me it's a no brainer to use a device made purely for photography when the photo matters to me, rather than a multi-purpose device that can take OK photos on occasion but not always.

#33 2-3-2017 9:08 AM

TravelloC
Bangkok, Thailand
Posts: 9

Re: How do you prefer to take travel photos?

I think it depends on what you are happy with. If you are happy with cell phone pictures, use a cell phone. Some cell phones do have pretty decent cameras but they are very much "point and shoot".

If you are thinking about taking night photos, are interested in portraits or depth of field then you might want to think about investing in a camera. You don't have to spend a fortune on a decent camera plus unless you are interested in learning or developing your skills, you probably won't use most of the features on a more expensive one anyway.

#34 2-3-2017 12:11 PM

travelerd
Dia
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Posts: 17

Re: How do you prefer to take travel photos?

I find the convenience of my cell phone to be the way I most often take photos now. Although I have to admit that the quality isn't necessarily up to par with the Canon digital camera I have. However, it really just depends on the purpose of the photos. If I am taking a picture just to capture the moment I tend to use my cell. But if it is for artistic purposes, I tend to use my professional digital camera.

#35 2-3-2017 2:42 PM

NickelP
Nicole
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi IAward: Spambuster I
Posts: 112

Re: How do you prefer to take travel photos?

I don't have a regular camera so just use my cell. I have the Galaxy S6 which has a pretty good camera and much better zoom than many. I use it alot on for photos when I go hiking and have managed to take some pretty amazing photos with it as I do still like to attempt some nice more artistic shots with it.

I have been thinking of getting a regular one now that I am starting to do more travelling though.

#36 2-3-2017 10:32 PM

gabrielcm
Gabriel
Bucharest, Romania
Posts: 4

I  use my cellphone.
Of course cellphone quality will never be as good as a proper camera but the cellphone is always in my hand smile

#37 2-5-2017 3:25 AM

pepe88
Giuseppe
Palermo, Italy
Award: Vox Populi I
Posts: 109

Re: How do you prefer to take travel photos?

I usually use my cellphone

#38 2-7-2017 7:56 PM

adivbail

Re: How do you prefer to take travel photos?

I agree with sarahelaine, sometime we need DSLR Camera to capture a moment but nowadays quality of camera phone are too good and we can easily handle it, carry it in our pocket or hand bags. Camera phone is always with us because everyone has camera phone, if we are on a trip than we don't need to carry extra camera. But if we are professional and want to capture our trip moment in full HD, i will suggest to carry a good DSLR.

#39 2-7-2017 8:23 PM

Re: How do you prefer to take travel photos?

A camera just cannot do good wildlife photography.  It is like going back to a point and shoot 35 mm film camera which I used in the 90s.  There are some venues where it is adequate, and if that's all you have with you, then that's what you use.

#40 3-17-2017 1:28 AM

NaomiS

es1418 wrote:

In 2007 I took a camera when I visited Shanghai to document the trip. In the decade since, cell phone camera quality has advanced so much that I figure I probably don't need to lug a camera around, and can use my phone instead.
Do you use a regular camera or a cell phone to capture photographs when you're traveling? Which do you prefer, and why?

I use my phone only for immediate, day-to-day photos that weren't planned.
For planned trip I took my EOS 5D and I am happy with their quality smile

#41 3-17-2017 3:49 AM

planxty
Fergy
London, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 143

Re: How do you prefer to take travel photos?

Some years ago I had one of the early DSLRs which I liked well enough although I found it cumbersome so I moved onto a Canon Ixus which I find to be excellent and easily carried around in my trouser pocket.

I recently had to get one of these modern 'phones as I stupidly lost my trusty ten year old Samsung but I genuinely have not worked out how to use the camera on it yet so I don't know what the results may be like.

#42 3-17-2017 10:41 PM

Re: How do you prefer to take travel photos?

How about the Motorola Moto Z and the Moto Mods (one is a Hasselblad phone snap on)?

https://www.motorola.com/us/products/mo … -true-zoom

Adam
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy Happy
Posts: 55

nolan wrote:

Have you tried one? If so, what are the results like?

#44 3-18-2017 2:55 AM

AdamR3723
Adam
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy Happy
Posts: 55

planxty wrote:

A good pocket-sized cameara, like the Nikon Coolpix S7000 that I use, is a lot less hassle than a Hasselblad or something large, like a DSLR, that has to go around your neck. The S700 is little larger than a phone, but is a lot more versatile photographically.

#45 3-18-2017 5:29 AM

Re: How do you prefer to take travel photos?

I use the cell phone for places that are well lighted or during the day.  I took photos the other day when I was at the dentist of that little circular light that they use to light up your face so they can see what they are doing.  I cropped each one of the little round lights and they looked like little 'moons".  The cell phone used for close work like that makes a pretty good macro shot.  It is also possible to shoot stealth photos.

But I agree with toonsarah  - all those reasons that she says.  I have a 100-300 zoom for my Canon which lets me get better wildlife photos than I could get with any cell phone.  And I really find that even though I do not shoot raw, I can manipulate low light shots where flash is prohibited or where flash is just not appropriate (like the moon at night - no way flash will help with that).

And I just have to have a viewfinder - the view screen doesn't do it for me, especially in bright light.  In addition, when I use the viewfinder, I can hold the camera steadier - I press the camera against my face and hold my breath when I trip the shutter -  I can't hold the camera as steady if I'm looking at the view screen at the end of my arm unless I brace my arm on something.  This is especially important because we can't easily set the shutter speed in a digital camera - the camera just extends the time if there is not much light without telling us.  And if I can't hold the camera still for that long (1/60th of a sec is about the limit in most cases without a tripod), then I get a blurred photo.

If I was just interested in snapping a few photos, I would use a cell phone.  And I do use one sometimes, although it took me longer to use a cell phone and get good photos than you would think since it is supposed to be easy.  But I really LIKE taking photos for the sake of taking photos.  It's just not as much fun with a cell phone.

Last edited by grandmar (3-18-2017 5:35 AM)

#46 3-18-2017 6:24 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Nomad
Posts: 822

Re: How do you prefer to take travel photos?

I used both- iphone 7 is only for facebook, my nikon coolplix if for my blog, I'm not a good photograher I use to drag my DSLR canon when he got his time (dead) decided not to buy a big camera. Those pocket were more comfy and easy to hide in a small pocket

#47 3-18-2017 3:44 PM

milestx
Miles
Austin, Texas
Posts: 70

Re: How do you prefer to take travel photos?

Like several others here, I am using my phone camera more and my "real" camera less. I really do like the ultra-zoom feature of the real camera, which is the only reason I (sometimes) carry it still.

#48 3-19-2017 9:04 AM

jhulian
Toronto, Canada
Award: Happy Happy Happy
Posts: 46

Re: How do you prefer to take travel photos?

It depends on the individual and their preference.  For me, I dont like the hassle of carrying something big around all the time, and just like having the comfort of something small to fit in my pocket. So having an action camera and a phone is good enough for me.  But if you need that high quality photos and dont mind carrying it around, then definitely invest in it.

#49 3-19-2017 8:02 PM

Tommy743
Montana, United States
Posts: 16

Re: How do you prefer to take travel photos?

I am with those folks that have a mirrorless. I was all ready to go out and get a nice Canon SLR but then started reading about the mirrorless cameras. Quite a few photographers mentioned that they are more inclined to take a shot when they have the portability of a smaller camera. The image quality is really pretty good and they can be enlarged. My concern was that a big SLR kinda paints a bullseye on you for theft or getting mugged for the camera. Even a $1500 mirrorless looks like a $125 point and shoot.

BTW  I have the Moto Z Force phone with the 20mp camera and it takes great photos. It still is not something that I would use to take pictures of a Castle I just traveled 5000 miles to see. I want something I can enlarge BIG!

Last edited by Tommy743 (3-19-2017 8:05 PM)

#50 3-20-2017 3:35 AM

AdamR3723 wrote:

nolan wrote:

Have you tried one? If so, what are the results like?

Sorry, I haven't as I am a known iPhone fan.

What I like about this is its modularity. Samsung also created similar cameras with Android phones, but the snap on/off features of the Moto Z are ingenious.

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer