#1 9-4-2016 11:19 AM

New York, New York
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)

Backpacking Tent

Does anyone have backpacking tent recommendations? I am looking for a 1-2 person, 3 season tent that can withstand wind gusts and is under $200 it should also weigh under 5 pounds. I am a newbie at this and overwhelmed by all the choices. I am using it for Torres del Paine W trek. I have always used my brother's tent but at almost six pounds it is way too heavy to carry.

#2 9-4-2016 8:22 PM

Lotus28
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 1971

Re: Backpacking Tent

I have this tent and it works fine as long as I pitch it properly.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0035ENO … ref=plSrch
I've used this tent at the ridge of 3000m peak in Japan Alps where strong wind was blowing all the time but it barely survived all night. I'm just not happy about its shape of doors as it's not easy and fun when it's raining severely.
And if you go with this tent, buy its footprint as well. I've never had any troubles water leaking from the ground with using the footprint.

I'm also looking at this model as well.
https://www.amazon.com/MSR-Elixir-2-Per … B00J12GGWY
As far as I've heard, it's more sturdy in strong wind compared to MSR Hubba series.
It comes with stakes and footprint and weight seems to include these accessories as well (Nemo Espri which I posted above doesn't include the weight of its footprint.)

#3 9-4-2016 8:32 PM

Re: Backpacking Tent

Thank you Lotus. Glad to see an MSR that is less than $300 which is too much for me to pay

#4 9-4-2016 9:05 PM

Re: Backpacking Tent

Some you may want to consider ... I've encountered these since the 90s, although some have evolved into newer models but these brands are reliable.

Eureka Spitfire - http://store.eurekatent.com/Spitfire_2_Tent

Northface Tadpole but above $300 - https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/tadpole-2

Kelty Gunnison - https://kelty.com/gunnison-2-3/

#5 9-5-2016 9:12 PM

Re: Backpacking Tent

On the cheaper ($89.95) but slightly heavier side (above 5 lbs but under 6 lbs), Kelty has a sale (CHEAP) on Sierra Trading Post. They just added it but can't really say how many are in stock.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/kelty- … ucts~21%2F

#6 9-24-2016 8:27 PM

simsing
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Tourist
Posts: 209

Rossy,
When I hiked at Torres I rented tents from each refugios. It's only $15/night and you don't need to carry a heavy tent on your back. I brought my own sleeping bag and mat from home. You can also rent those but I didn't want to use rental sleeping bags. Sleeping mat was $3/night. You can book the refugio Grey and Paine Grande through Vertice Patagonia and the rest of the refugios through Fanstico Sur website. One of them will need a Paypal account which is easy to open.

You also have the option of renting all the camping gears at Puerto Natales. There are many rental shops and most of the backpackers rent from there.

#7 9-26-2016 6:30 PM

Re: Backpacking Tent

I ended up buying a Kelty Salida 2. I used it this weekend and it was very light. I wanted to carry my own because for $15 a night didnt seem worth it since I actually go camping. I think i will for sure rent the hiking poles. I will not be doing any refugios but contemplating doing a few of the paid campsites. At this time I am still deciding between the W or the 0 trek.

#8 9-26-2016 8:44 PM

niradcan
Darin
Saskatoon, Canada
Award: Vox Populi II
Posts: 253

Re: Backpacking Tent

If I may hijack this topic.  Has anyone used a covered hammock instead of a tent?  pros cons?

#9 9-26-2016 9:55 PM

niradcan wrote:

Like a bivy sack that is suspended from the ground?

I don't use that primarily because where I used to hike didn't have trees spaced well enough that would support my weight on a hammock. One con I can think of is that if you're not aware of your surroundings when you wake up (or are a sleepwalker), you can step out into the air and fall down from the hammock without even knowing it.

Pro would be that you can avoid snakes and other crawling critters from getting into your hammock vs a tent setup.

#10 9-26-2016 9:58 PM

sugarose wrote:

Welcome to the club of Kelty gear owners! smile

#11 12-12-2016 7:04 PM

tlenot
Tony
Denver, Colorado
Award: Critic IAward: Happy Happy Happy
Sightseer
Posts: 60

Re: Backpacking Tent

Rossy, would you recommend the tent you bought?  How did you like it?

#12 12-13-2016 9:41 AM

tlenot wrote:

Rossy, would you recommend the tent you bought?  How did you like it?

Yes I would. It suited me just fine. There was enough space for me and my backpack although even then it was a big snug (but i am not exactly tiny).

What i loved about it was how lightweight and compact it was. It was like the size of an packaging envelope in my bag. I have the older model but there is a newer model that is supposed to fit better. It rained a bit when i went camping and the inside was fine but i cannot speak for how it withstands heavy rain or wind. I guess i will see in March.

I think for the price and weight this is a good deal.

#13 12-13-2016 9:42 AM

nolan wrote:

niradcan wrote:

Like a bivy sack that is suspended from the ground?

I would be curious to how well those actually work!

#14 12-13-2016 1:33 PM

CFD
Christian
World
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi IV
Posts: 1662

Re: Backpacking Tent

Im using a Helsport Ringstind 2 (Norwegian Manifacturer), but any kind of tent in that style is my recommendation.  They have a 0,9kg (2lbs) and a 1,9kg version (4,2lbs).. I have the 2kg version , but i also carry a repairkit (0.15kg), så i end up at 2.05kg.  I stuff it in my Kayak, backpack my car. For me its extremely important that a tent is easy to put up and down, as life is to short to spend 10minutes extra for each night.

I found this picture online wink

Last edited by CFD (12-13-2016 1:34 PM)

#15 12-13-2016 8:38 PM

tlenot
Tony
Denver, Colorado
Award: Critic IAward: Happy Happy Happy
Sightseer
Posts: 60

Re: Backpacking Tent

Thanks Rossy for the information.  It is insightful.

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer