#1 10-27-2016 1:32 PM

ela01
ela
London, England
Couch Potato

El Salvador

I'm going in Feb 2017.
Has anyone been?  Any advice/itinerary ideas?

#2 11-1-2016 1:08 PM

Globevoyager
Maike
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: Vox Populi IV
Explorer

Re: El Salvador

I'll be going there mid January... it's very small. so won't be that hard to find cool stuff to do, I think. will let you know if you like

#3 11-1-2016 2:57 PM

matthew
Matthew
Nottingham, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

It's relatively expensive in comparison to other countries in Central America, and relatively cheap compared to the UK.  The most commonly visited places are the Cayes, and getting around is easy.  Hitchhiking is common, and safe (as far as I found), and buses are cheap, but rare.  It's English speaking throughout, and a simple country to visit.  It's not difficult to find the Maya ruins, and things to do.  The blue hole is an obvious spot.  You can take a helicopter ride over it,  or dive into it.  There are a lot of other diving spots too.

#4 11-2-2016 3:33 AM

Polh
Pol
Belgium
Award: Vox Populi I
Tourist

matthew wrote:

It's relatively expensive in comparison to other countries in Central America, and relatively cheap compared to the UK.  The most commonly visited places are the Cayes, and getting around is easy.  Hitchhiking is common, and safe (as far as I found), and buses are cheap, but rare.  It's English speaking throughout, and a simple country to visit.  It's not difficult to find the Maya ruins, and things to do.  The blue hole is an obvious spot.  You can take a helicopter ride over it,  or dive into it.  There are a lot of other diving spots too.

I'm not sure, but the Cayes and the Blue Hole isn't that in Belize ?

#5 11-2-2016 9:41 PM

Lausolorzano
Couch Potato

You HAVE to eat pupusas, look for pupuserías. It's a typical meal there. And go to the beaches! I have really good friends, I was there for a week but studing, so didnt have the change to go to different places, but eveybody says that beaches there are awesome!

#6 11-3-2016 7:56 AM

pammy_robertson
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi II
Wanderer

I am considering doing s Central America trip from Jan onwards so I may be around. There's a cute surfing area called la tortuga I think. Also fancy checking out some volcanoes.

#7 11-3-2016 3:23 PM

fransglobal
Francis
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter

Be careful is main advice...

San Salvador is OK but nothing special.  Suchitoto is a cute town and the lake is lovely.

#8 11-6-2016 2:41 PM

matthew
Matthew
Nottingham, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

Polh wrote:

matthew wrote:

I'm not sure, but the Cayes and the Blue Hole isn't that in Belize ?

Oh, how daft of me.  Yes it is - apologies.

I have been all over El Salvador too.  It is far cheaper.  I really liked the North corner of the country,  It was far more off the beaten track, and I had some really amazing times up there. 

The beaches are good for surfing further down, but it does sacrifice quite a lot of scenery, due to the heavy deforestation.  The volcanoes, and hikes, I found of more interest.

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer